9.0 Version App Keeps Freezing

Userlevel 2
Badge
Since updating my controllers to 9.0, the app keeps freezing up on my iOS devices. I have to close the app and stop it from running in the background before starting it up again. It will briefly work again before freezing again. I have deleted the app, shut down my device and reinstalled it. Still have the same issue. Anyone else having the same experience? And will this be fixed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

99 replies

The next time you have it freeze, kill it, and restart it, you might submit a system diagnostic . There would likely be data in that diagnostic that might help Sonos help you, and you'd just need to post the number here, or perhaps contact Sonos to discuss it.

Have you attempted rebooting your iOS device before restarting the app? Which version of iOS are you running?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did reboot my devices before restarting the app. I'm running iOS 11.4.1 on all of my devices.
I will do as you suggest the next time I have a chance. Thanks again.
I have the same problem. Have submitted a system diagnostic. Hope it helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Jo C - If you only submitted the diagnostic it will just set in the queue at Sonos, you have to tell Sonos you submitted it and give them the number it showed you so someone will know to pull it out and look at it. You can Twitter it in, post it here or call it in.
Oh, OK. thanks.
Have submitted another one to get the number.

Your confirmation number is: 1864273813.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That should do it, someone from the sonos forum staff should get back to you on that.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have submitted a diagnostics, the number is 1206233040.
Badge
HI , same thing is happening for me since the upgrade to 9 , been on to sonos for over a week regarding this , but dont seem to be getting anywhere, they seem to be mentioning inteference and now saying one of my connect boxes doesnt work properly , but it plays music fine, i've trtied everything , restarting all sonos components , re installing the app , but the preblem seems to come back again ,
Just wondering here if the Sonos App is freezing because of a lack of space on the controller device?... it might be worth checking that. Another few things to try are switching off the 'WiFi Assist' feature on iOS and perhaps see what happens when you change the WiFi channel on your router and/or SonosNet in the Sonos App Advanced Settings.

Note the SonosNet WiFi channel and routers 2.4ghz channel are best if they are set at least 5 channels apart. In my case my neighbours seem to use channel 6, so I have set my own router to channel 11 and my SonosNet channel to 1.

See if these things help stop the App from freezing on screen.
Badge
done all these things time and time again , on both ipad and iphone , restarted , zones , nas drive , changed wifi channel , it always appears fixed for a short time as a simple closing of the app and re opening it resolves the issue , but the problem always comes back at some point , hopefully the more others post the issue it may get recognized and seen as a bug that was introduced in the latest release
dt2,

Is it a particular model of iPhone, or iPad, perhaps? ...only the app seems to be working fine on my iPhone 6 and the wife's iPad Air v2?

I've only seen a few folk here complain and thought there would be much more complaints about this, if it was a more widespread issue.

Anyhow I hope you find the answer to it soon.
Badge
thanks , hope so too , never seen anything like this when using the app until version 9 and my set up hasn't changed in years
so cant believe it is not related to the upgrade, prior to this the app was flawless and never froze / crashed , have you tried it over a period of time , i.e. play a song , click home , browse a web site , come back to sonos , etc , for me it fails pretty quickly each time , ?
I have not noticed it (at all) myself on the iPhone, personally speaking. The wife doesn’t use the Sonos App all that much, to be able to judge it perhaps, but I will try her iPad and see. It doesn’t seem a problem though so far.

I should say that I do turn off lots of stuff on our devices, like location services and notifications, suggestions etc. Also I don’t allow apps to run in the background so maybe I’m not the best person to comment.

I would have thought though that far more users would have commented by now and complained about it freezing... I would have expected dozens of posts from users, rather than just the few we are seeing here so far. In your case the App sounds almost unusable, whereas I’m using it lots, everyday.

That’s why I was wondering if this was down to a particular model of iPhone? I can get access to both an iPhone 5, 7 and 8 in the coming days, when our children pop in to see us and could test those, if any are applicable in this case... the kids phones usually have lots of stuff left running in the background on their devices, so I’m happy to try those and see.
Badge
thanks , it would be interesting to see if you can see the issue also , i've never really posted on here before , so i'm wondering if others are experiencing the issue but because a simple close and re open sorts the issue people are just putting up with it , and maybe blaming in on their phone ??
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Whilst the app on my iPad isn’t freezing, it has been temperamental for the last couple of months. Tonight I went to my ipad and as the Sonos app was still full screen from the last time I used it about 30 minutes ago (Playback was stopped 30 minutes previous by me) I pressed play and the radio station started to play OK.

But then I pressed stop on the app and it didn’t stop the radio station from playing. The stop/play button kept changing as if it was accepting my commands but nothing was happening, the radio station carried on playing. It was definitely set on the right room. I closed and opened the app and then the buttons started working properly again.

On previous occasions recently it has mysteriously changed rooms to another one and the button presses were being carried out for the wrong zone. This time though, the correct zone was selected.

Until a couple of months ago I’ve not had any problems at all with the iPad app (apart from it being worse to use that previous versions 😉 ) but since then it occasionally gets itself in a mess and is unreliable until the app is stopped and started again.

I think all these problems are coinciding with the introduction of the Alexa stuff, it seems less stable that before.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I've just contacted sonos with the message bellow as i am beyond disappointment with 9.0.
Hi since 9.0 my sonos system as been horrible to use. The app constantly freezes and keeps skipping songs I've checked every thing the wifi is on channel 6 the sonos net is on channel 11 i have even given them static ip addresses. How can I go back to the last update as i wish i had never don't the update? I have no use for airplay with sonos I would rather have the hardware control. You need to have an option to select between hard where control and airplay.
I have submitted a diagnosis 1724113456.

I feel sonos have penalised people that have brought into the system just to give airplay connectivity to someone that just has one standalone speaker.
I have 13 sonos speakers and no issues of Sonos App freezing, but I am interested to know what model of iOS devices are in use by the folk who are experiencing this problem and how much free space is remaining on that device? .. just trying to see if there is any pattern to this issue?

Also if the iOS device has the Apple 'WiFi Assist' feature enabled or disabled?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I am using an iPad Air2 and have over 80GB free. I have no idea what Apple WiFi Assist is so assume that’s something particular to the iPhone?
My iOS is up to date
I am using an iPad Air2 and have over 80GB free. I have no idea what Apple WiFi Assist is so assume that’s something particular to the iPhone?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

My iOS is up to date
Does this mean v11.4.1 or iOS 12.3 Beta?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

My iOS is up to date
Does this mean v11.4.1 or iOS 12.3 Beta?

I’m on 11.4.1 and there’s no cellular in my iPad so it just uses my WiFi. My Sonos App doesn’t freeze but it is sometimes buggy in operation as I described above. It usually happens if I let the iPad screen go into standby and then wake it up with the sonos app still showing full screen.
JohnG666,

Does it make any difference if you have 'background app refresh' turned on or turned off for the Sonos App in the iOS 'Settings/General/Background App Refresh' area?

Might be worth just testing that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
JohnG666,

Does it make any difference if you have 'background app refresh' turned on or turned off for the Sonos App in the iOS 'Settings/General/Background App Refresh' area?

Might be worth just testing that.

I did originally have it turned off for the Sonos app when I had problems with it changing the zone itself to a different one so I enabled background refresh a few weeks ago. This latest problem of it getting in a mess was with background refresh enabled.
JohnG666,

That’s interesting, as I don’t have the screen-freeze issue and I have also turned off 'background app refresh' for all my iOS Apps. I will switch it on and see what happens.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Same issue here. Very frustrating.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Well the plot thickens. This morning I went into my office and noticed that according to my CR200 controller, the ZP90 in there was already playing a tunein radio station. I believe this has been playing since I had the app go funny on me a few days ago. Because the amp it was connected to wasn’t on, then there’s no way of telling that it’s playing. This to me is more than unreliable, it’s now becoming unusable and untrustworthy.

When I had previous problems with the iPad app it mysteriously changed the zone it was controlling to that ZP90 in the office and started controlling that instead. This time when it went wrong I checked to make sure it was still controlling the lounge paired Play1 speakers and it was, so I don’t know how it managed to screw up and start the office zone playing.

I wish Sonos would stop putting all these updates out and get back to how they used to be and make sure everything works properly before they release. I fear the software and the whole system is now far too complex and causing more and more problems for users.

I wish I’d have taken Sonos up on their offer of buying all my gear back because I feel I can’t trust it any more.