• 6 December 2022
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Anyone updated yet?

Any issues?

71 replies

Userlevel 1

After 14.19.1 volume is 15% lower than before on arc. Subs clip on low end and ones are noticeably louder not matching the arc’s low volume..14.20 no different. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Prior to 14.19.1 I was always able to update without any problems. However with 14.19.1 and now 14.20 the update tends to fail for some devices and I have to run it again.😡

I also saw this, the update fails first time, click retry and it works, on both 14.20 and previous update.

I submitted a diagnostic, and spoke to support, they said all OK, nothing to worry about it it works second time. They said there is a small bug if using iOS 16, it reports it fails, but it hasn't. Also, it can report its failed when using SonosNet, if a speaker is rebooting as part of update, and other speaker(s) connected to the speaker that is rebooting are unable to connect to another speaker via SonosNet, maybe due to location etc. Sonos support reassured me if it works second time, nothing to be concerned about.

I didn’t notice any spontaneous combustion though. 😮

Last update prior to 14.20 had serious issues with sync drifting in my system. Never had that issue before, hoping it's fixed in 14.20...

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Did someone update from 14.19.1 and regret it?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I did. No problems at all for me. With 14.20 and latest beta for apple tv, I have no longer pops and other sound issues while watching dolby vision or any other content, not a single one ! 

Badge +1

After 14.19.1 volume is 15% lower than before on arc. Subs clip on low end and ones are noticeably louder not matching the arc’s low volume..14.20 no different. 

I feel like I’ve been having this issue since 14.18 update. The overall sound was great after the update, but noticed that the surrounds were much louder and had to turn them down. After multiple Trueplay tunings, it’s the same outcome. I will have to retune with the latest update and test again to see if they are more balanced again.

I feel like I’ve been having this issue since 14.18 update. The overall sound was great after the update, but noticed that the surrounds were much louder and had to turn them down. After multiple Trueplay tunings, it’s the same outcome. I will have to retune with the latest update and test again to see if they are more balanced again.

An alternative is to simply adjust the ‘TV Level’ slider-control in the HT room (surround audio) settings. Just slide it over to the left a couple of notches - it’s why the customisation tool is there in the App to get a balance between the front and rear, to suit your hearing, environment and listening position.

I sometimes use that control myself in both directions, depending on what movies/shows/recordings I’m watching as things can sometimes vary - I don’t like too much crowd noise for example, whilst watching the World Cup football on the BBC in Dolby 5.1 surround sound and so will adjust it slightly to the left to reduce the cried noise behind me, but other occasions, when watching shows/movies I may shift it to the right. That’s sometimes with, or without, Trueplay enabled, although when TP is not enabled, I may just adjust the distance of the surround speakers in the App instead.

Badge +1

An alternative is to simply adjust the ‘TV Level’ slider-control in the HT room (surround audio) settings. Just slide it over to the left a couple of notches - it’s why the customisation tool is there in the App to get a balance between the front and rear, to suit your hearing, environment and listening position.

I sometimes use that control myself in both directions, depending on what movies/shows/recordings I’m watching as things can sometimes vary - I don’t like too much crowd noise for example, whilst watching the World Cup football on the BBC in Dolby 5.1 surround sound and so will adjust it slightly to the left to reduce the cried noise behind me, but other occasions, when watching shows/movies I may shift it to the right. That’s sometimes with, or without, Trueplay enabled, although when TP is not enabled, I may just adjust the distance of the surround speakers in the App instead.

Yup, I’ve used the TV Level slider to bring it down a bit. I’ve also tested disabling Trueplay and setting the proper distance for the surround speakers and then switching Trueplay back on. The audio volume sticks. I’ve always wondered if doing this method messes with the Trueplay for the rear speakers though.

Another thing I’ve noticed though is this volume issue may be an issue with the audio source. When I’m watching Dolby Atmos content, I don’t notice the rears being loud or distracting at all and seem more balanced. I notice the rear loudness more when listening to Multichannel PCM 5.1 audio. Not sure if this is a bug with LPCM audio or not.

Badge

Anyone updated yet?

Any issues?

Updated! Sound very good on my Sonos speakers. Hope Sonos will not change the sound again and leave it with this. Automaticly  update off, for the future.

3x One SL, 1x Ray, 1x Sub Mini and 1x Roam.

Anyone updated yet?

Any issues?

Updated! Sound very good on my Sonos speakers. Hope Sonos will not change the sound again and leave it with this. Automaticly  update off, for the future.

I have the Sonos Ray too, bonded with a Sub-Mini and 2 x One SL Surrounds (Trueplay tuned) in my kitchen/diner area and that setup sounds extremely good to my ears - I’m really impressed with all the audio output from that mini Home Theatre.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

14.20.1 is out

I just updated to 14.20.1.

Coming from 14.20 which lowered my arc volume, weakened my front channels of the arc, overpowered my surrounds (I had to put -6 on tv) and seemed to hurt bass, 14.20.1 has fixed these issues for me.  

My surrounds now blend in perfectly, surround effects and soundstage have improved dramatically, and volume on arc and fronts are back to normal. Night mode seems to be more impactful also.  If I have one thing that I have to test more, is the center of the arc.  It seems dialogue has been dialed down at lower volumes. 

Would love to hear others impressions, but so far I am super happy.  I almost returned my arc because of 14.2.0, now Im in love with it again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@mrtapout just updated had to turn treble down to -4 as speech sounds like people have a lisp😳

Will do truplay again tomorrow and test it more over the weekend I only use my arc for movie and TV content so cannot comment on music 

Hopefully truplay will improve it but it's not as bad as when the first clarity update happened and I had to have treble at -8

@mrtapout just updated had to turn treble down to -4 as speech sounds like people have a lisp😳

Will do truplay again tomorrow and test it more over the weekend I only use my arc for movie and TV content so cannot comment on music 

Hopefully truplay will improve it but it's not as bad as when the first clarity update happened and I had to have treble at -8

I’ve only tested movies, but interestingly I had to turn treble up to +4.  It could come down to the source, I’m playing 4k atmos movies from Vudu which as we all know isnt the best source for sound.  Havent tried uncompressed trueHD audio yet.  I havent used trueplay (waiting for my friend to come over to let me use his Iphone lol!)

Badge

I lost everything- through tv and Apple TV.

had to unplug the lot and restart.

now seems ok but a real pain.

beam 2, 2x Symfonisk & a sub- mini

Badge +1

I just updated to 14.20.1.

Coming from 14.20 which lowered my arc volume, weakened my front channels of the arc, overpowered my surrounds (I had to put -6 on tv) and seemed to hurt bass, 14.20.1 has fixed these issues for me.  

My surrounds now blend in perfectly, surround effects and soundstage have improved dramatically, and volume on arc and fronts are back to normal. Night mode seems to be more impactful also.  If I have one thing that I have to test more, is the center of the arc.  It seems dialogue has been dialed down at lower volumes. 

Would love to hear others impressions, but so far I am super happy.  I almost returned my arc because of 14.2.0, now Im in love with it again.

This is great to hear. I’ve had the similar issue with the surrounds being overpowered and having to turn down my speakers to about -7. Will have to test this later today.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Anyone updated yet?

Any issues?

I had the auto update to the off position but found out Sonos will eventually lock you out of certain features on the app until you do the new update…

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’ve only tested movies, but interestingly I had to turn treble up to +4.  It could come down to the source, I’m playing 4k atmos movies from Vudu which as we all know isnt the best source for sound.  Havent tried uncompressed trueHD audio yet.  I havent used trueplay (waiting for my friend to come over to let me use his Iphone lol!)

Don't have vudu in the UK I have tried apple tv content I own and currently watching a 4k bluray treble still at -4 and I  have redone truplay 

At least it's not worse 😊

After further testing 14.20.1 I do feel dialogue is too low.  The center channel seems not as robust and powerful as before, unless the volume is 30 +.  

Without being said, I have just an arc and two One SLs with no sub and watching the racing scene of Ready Player One absolutely blew me away today.  The amount of crisp sound detail, thunderous bass, and very multidirectional soundfield not only stunned me, but left my 2 buddies that came over mesmerized,, saying it sounds like a movie theatre and it sounds Insane.  My one buddy was truly shocked at what this soundbar and two wireless speakers were producing.  It was great to see them have this reaction 

Once the dialogue gets back too 14.8 levels, I think we'll be in a really big place if they don't mess up the other stuff. If you are not happy with the EQ, try adjusting the loudness, treble, and bass settings because after this update their does seem to be a change in how everything sounds

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

After further testing 14.20.1 I do feel dialogue is too low.  The center channel seems not as robust and powerful as before, unless the volume is 30 +.  

Without being said, I have just an arc and two One SLs with no sub and watching the racing scene of Ready Player One absolutely blew me away today.  The amount of crisp sound detail, thunderous bass, and very multidirectional soundfield not only stunned me, but left my 2 buddies that came over mesmerized,, saying it sounds like a movie theatre and it sounds Insane.  My one buddy was truly shocked at what this soundbar and two wireless speakers were producing.  It was great to see them have this reaction 

Once the dialogue gets back too 14.8 levels, I think we'll be in a really big place if they don't mess up the other stuff. If you are not happy with the EQ, try adjusting the loudness, treble, and bass settings because after this update their does seem to be a change in how everything sounds

Were you on 14.20 before?

Were you on 14.20 before?

Yes see my post a few up to see my experience with it

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

How come Sonos updates for controller and system becomes weekly or bi-weekly???

Pretty tired for that if we’re to retune the system after every update… :(

You don’t need to retune a Sonos room unless something has changed in that room, or the update requires you to retune (which is hardly ever).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

14.20.1 has capped my Sub/bass again, I've had auto updates off since the 14.12 debacle, it was fixed to  a degree with 14.18 but my loudness setting stopped working in the process of that update, I felt we were on the right track and was happy enough with the sound and thought the loudness setting would be fixed in the next update, that didn't happen but I was happy with my living room sound (Arc, Sub gen3, Sl ones) stupidly I bought a Sub mini for my other room set up (Beam 2 One sl's) and was forced to update the whole system to add the Sub mini to 14.20.1 since then my main room with the Arc has lost bass impact, overall sound stage has taken a step back, I'm really regretting I ever stepped into this Sonos world, when it's good, it's really good for a convenient wireless solution but with these constant updates ruining the experience and the fact they are forced updates if you buy a new product has become too much, why don't they just leave it alone…. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

You don’t need to retune a Sonos room unless something has changed in that room, or the update requires you to retune (which is hardly ever).

Maybe the previous bad experience after update made me feel like it’s better to retune… but I would only retune the Arc room.