Skip to main content

1 sub for multiple 'rooms'

• 26 December 2017
  • 1 reply

Hi All, Newbie here.

I'm just thinking out loud so that maybe someone will say " you can do that already" or perhaps Sonos can consider a suggestion.

I've searched around, and it looks like we can't connect 1 sub into multiple 'rooms'.

Naturally the suggestion is that if you are playing music into multiple rooms simultaneously then the sub will be confused and this would lead to a less than ideal outcome. Fair call.

This is my setup:

2 Logical rooms.

Room1: TV/Movies = Playbase + 2x Play 1 + Sub

Room 2: Stereo Music = 2x Play 5(gen2)

They are all in the same physical room though. The play 5 are next to my TV in my lounge room.

First things first, the quality is impressive.

Movies are great, imaging is good, and the sub fantastic. Play 1's make a perfect surround speaker for my environment.

Stereo is amazing. The play 5's are a terrific stereo pair, and as many have mentioned, they hold their own in the bass department. However, I'm looking for a bit more omnidirectional bass that the sub would give, and I think the Play 5's are slightly light on bass at lower volumes (They are very good in higher volumes though)

I'd like to leverage the sub that I have already invested in, and that's in the same physical room, for stereo listening.

So I had two thoughts:

1. Allow the selection of a Sub "Primary Source"

For me that would be the TV. I watch that more often that I listen to stereo music.

The Sub can pair with room 1 and also pair with room 2.

TV with Sub, OR Stereo with Sub.

However, if trying to listen to 2 sources (which I don't, but others might try), then the primary source would have the sub, the other room would not.

2. Create a 'room' with only a sub in it, then I can group together as I please (I don't think you can add just a sub as a 'room' though right - needs other speakers in it)

This is a more manual option of the automated version above. You'd need to group and ungroup when you wanted to leverage the sub, but personally I'm ok with that.

I think either option would not be a huge tweak for Sonos in the apps.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Cheers guys,

Ant
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi there, Ant. Thanks for posting your ideas. I am happy to forward this along to the team. Keep the feedback coming, we love hearing from our users.