Works With Sonos Certified Receivers - Explanation

• 9 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Currently, Integra, Onkyo, Sony & Pioneer have the “Works With Sonos” label.

What does this really mean?

Once a Sonos Port is integrated with these receivers, selecting the Room (and music) on the Sonos App that the receiver operates in will:

1. Turn on the receiver
  2. Select the Sonos Port input
  3. Set the volume different than watching TV (generally much higher than TV, CD etc volume)
  4. You then use the Volume on your Sonos app to control volume (just like all other Sonos listening areas).

Selecting all other sources like TV will return the volume back to a comfortable level.  The receiver also eventually powers down automatically after use.

That’s pretty cool.

Some of these receivers can operate up to 3 Rooms in your home simultaneously (so long as their respective speaker’s wiring is run back to the receiver).  Connecting an additional Port (Ports) to the receiver gives you those Room volume controls on the app (ie, Great Room, Bedroom, Patio).  This eliminates the need for a $700 Sonos amp for these additional areas.

Yes, a Sonos Port will plug into ANY receiver (just like a CD player will).  However, without “Works With Sonos” means that in order to adjust volume for that Room, you either mess with 2 volume controls (receiver and app) or “fix” the volume on the Sonos and only use the receiver volume. 

Control/Automation systems like Control 4, Savant, RTI, Josh AI, URC Total Control or Crestron will solve this receiver issue (on, input, volume).  But perhaps you see where just replacing your receiver may be much more cost effective (and a great way to resurrect an existing sound system)?

My background comes from about 25+ years experience in imagineering Home Theater and Multiroom Audio with a familiarity with Savant, Control 4 and URC Complete Control.. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @smghifiguy and welcome to Sonos Community!

Thank you for sharing, I will simply add our official page The Works with Sonos Badge here.

I hope this will help our users to have a better understanding of what “Works with Sonos" means.