Volume in app won’t stay where I set it

• 13 October 2022
  • 23 replies

Over the last couple of months I’ve noticed when trying to adjust a rooms volume in the sonos app, it will jump ± several points. For example if I move the slider to 13, it will jump up to 15 after I remove my finger from the slider. Sometimes it will jump down, to say, 11. 

App is up to date and so is the system. It’s been really annoying. Anyone else?

23 replies

What device is the Sonos app on? Have you tried a reboot of that device? Sounds like there’s some sort of feedback on the screen that’s causing the jump, which wouldn’t be part of the Sonos software, I’d think. More likely OS related, which is why I’m suggesting a hard reboot. 

I have sausage fingers, but I’ve learned to just put many mobile volume controls there (or thereabouts). A notch or two/three is not something that bothers me and my OCD has dwindled to the extent I don’t care if it says volume 29, 30, 31 or 33 etc; but I guess this may bother some people.

I find it easier to get more accurate control on larger tablets, like the iPad Pro with its 12.9” screen. 

Are you dragging the slider or touching the bar beside the slider? I have large hands and dragging the slider is not very precise for me. Also, since I must be dead, in general I don’t interact well with touch sensitive screens. I’m much more successful when I touch the bar, rather than dragging the slider. Incrementing the Volume by a single digit is not difficult unless I’m within a few increments at the end of slider travel. In this case there is not much space between the slider and the end of the bar and my large hands touch too much.

It’s not my fingers or the way I’m using it. I will release my finger and it displays, for example, 12 for a moment before then jumping and rounding itself down to 10 or up to 15. Device reboot has not resolved either. It’s not an issue with the screen

Interesting it seems to only happen when I have the Spotify app open in the background at the same time. Closing out fully of the Spotify app fixes it. And it starts acting up again once I open Spotify again 

sonos - please fix this. 

Here’s a quick animated.gif of me adjusting the volume on an iPhone XR between 30% and 50% and I click off the volume-control and reselect it and move it again and despite my sausage fingers I can happily get it on the volume chosen and let it go and it sticks at that volume. So my thoughts are it’s perhaps your mobile device.

@aspain,

Our posts crossed - I don’t use Spotify so can’t comment on that, but definitely the Sonos App does work fine when using it’s own volume controls. I was clicking off/on the controls to make them jump away from the volume set - and it stays ‘put’ in my case.

@aspain,
Okay, I installed Spotify and put it to run in the background on my iPhone, as you can perhaps see in this next .gif animation I am still able to control Sonos volume-slider with no issues seen. It still works the same. So it’s perhaps something to do with your mobile.

I just checked my Android phone and I had no trouble dragging the slider, touching the track, or using the phone’s Volume controls while using the SONOS controller. When I used the SPOTIFY App on the phone the App’s Volume control was not positive. I had a lot of slider “misses” (no response), I could not precisely control the Volume with the slider, and there were no reference numbers.

Attaching a video of the behavior. I’m on an iPhone 13 mini with sonos and Spotify updated to most recent versions. During this video I have both Spotify open in the background and am attempting to set sonos volume in the room to levels between 5 and 10. For example When I try to set to 8, it then jumps to 10. When I try to set to 6, it then jumps to 5. It seems to want to stick to increments of 5 when the Spotify app is also running in the background. Towards the end of the video you’ll notice after I fully exit the Spotify app, the volume then is able to stay put in my smaller increments. 
I don’t think this is a device issue, rather a Spotify or sonos app issue. 

Well I can’t figure out how to embed the video like you did, but I uploaded to imgur here: 

https://imgur.com/a/LMCQPpZ

Attaching a video of the behavior. I’m on an iPhone 13 mini with sonos and Spotify updated to most recent versions. During this video I have both Spotify open in the background and am attempting to set sonos volume in the room to levels between 5 and 10. For example When I try to set to 8, it then jumps to 10. When I try to set to 6, it then jumps to 5. It seems to want to stick to increments of 5 when the Spotify app is also running in the background. Towards the end of the video you’ll notice after I fully exit the Spotify app, the volume then is able to stay put in my smaller increments. 
I don’t think this is a device issue, rather a Spotify or sonos app issue. 

Well I can’t figure out how to embed the video like you did, but I uploaded to imgur here: 

https://imgur.com/a/LMCQPpZ

Are you using Spotify ‘Connect’ to link to your speaker rather than the Sonos App? - that’s the only thing I can think of here - it’s odd that your iPhones volume control keeps popping onto screen too from the left hand side? 

I’ve not been able to reproduce that here and your volume slider ‘granularity’ is completely different to what I see on my device. It seems to have a scale of 1-10 whereas mine displays a scale of 1-100. So probably something to do with the way Spotify is working on your device, perhaps?

It’s not showing a scale Of 1-10 I am just showing an example of trying to set a volume in that range, not sure where you are seeing that 10 is my max. And I agree it’s odd which  is exactly why I’ve opened the case here. 

It’s not showing a scale Of 1-10 I am just showing an example of trying to set a volume in that range, not sure where you are seeing that 10 is my max. And I agree it’s odd which  is exactly why I’ve opened the case here. 

Sorry I’m just trying to help you here, that’s all.. I thought the scale seemed different, but forgive me if that’s not the case.

So have you checked to see if Spotify ‘Connect’ is playing a role in your setup connection to the speaker?

Edit: The Spotify ‘Connect’ feature allows you to connect that app to speakers using either the Sonos API or Airplay2 etc.. so I’m just wondering if that’s the case? It might explain why your iDevice volume control keeps appearing on screen from the left hand side too - so that’s why I’m asking?

@aspain,
My thinking is you are ‘perhaps’ using different ‘competing’ volume controls from Spotify, and/or iOS, aswell as Sonos and if that is the case, just simply disconnect the speaker in Spotify Connect and/or from the iOS (Airplay) control centre and see if that resolves your issue.

Spotify automatically selects the speakers if I am first using them in sonos app and then open the Spotify app. So if I unselect them in the Spotify app it just stops the music altogether. It’s definitely a software issue and hasn’t always been this way. Appreciate your replies nonetheless 

Spotify should default to your iOS device - see screenshot below. 

So perhaps try switching/selecting your iOS device, as circled in red,  then try the Sonos App volume control and see if that fixes it.

yeah but as soon as you resume playing via the sonos app it will link spotify/the sonos speakers again automatically

yeah but as soon as you resume playing via the sonos app it will link spotify/the sonos speakers again automatically

Dunno then - mine definitely doesn’t do that?

As a simple example, I can play to my Sonos speaker from the Sonos App using either the installed Spotify service built into the Sonos App, (not the Spotify native App)  or I can use Sonos Radio, just as another example …and then also (at the same time) play different music to the iPad speakers using the native Spotify App.

Slightly old post, but adding my experience to this thread.  I was having exactly the same issue as the original poster.  Maybe our shared use case isn’t as common as I would have assumed, but I also use the Spotify to connect to Sonos speakers/groups and then largely control everything from spotify, as its interface is more robust, and music is streamed directly rather than being added to a static queue via the sonos initiated route.

Everything worked fine until a couple of months ago when I started having the same issues as the original poster.  Basically, changing the volume in the iOS app or the desktop app wouldn’t “stick”  and would automatically readjust a second later.  The issue seemed more pronounced and frustrating with grouped speakers, as changing one speaker’s volume would lead to all speakers’ volumes adjusting to new values a second or two after clicking or removing my finger.

I can confirm in my case that killing the spotify app on my phone makes the problem go away (spotify still running on PC, sonos still running on phone and PC).  Felt like that answer got lost in the conversation a bit, but that “fixed” it for me, and while that’s annoying and needs to be fixed, at least I’m no longer yelling at my speakers and insulting them personally for how much they cost and for disrespecting our 20 year friendship :).

I’m surprised this isn’t a more common use case (maybe because it doesn’t work reliably anymore :)).  Connecting from spotify allows more responsive control for the music, and I only need the sonos app to “rebalance” volume within a group.  When it worked, it was outstanding.

Do you still have the issue if you build the Group in a different order?

It’s possible that there is a slight communication lag. The first listed player in a Group is the Group’s “coordinator” and all music and control traffic passes through this unit. If the coordinator is struggling with it’s connectivity delays might contribute to your issue. This could explain why some users are experiencing his issue while others are not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Sonos has stated it’s a known issue and they are working on it . 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Same problem here.  Glad to hear they are working on it.

additional issue, the iOS volume graphic keeps popping onto the screen as if I am adjusting the volume with the side volume button.  This is clearly a software glitch, and perhaps related to the above issue.