Skip to main content

Hi. There are a number of threads about this I know, but we´re stil having trouble, Recently upgraded to S2 without really giving the matter much thought. We now have three components working on S2, but there is an incompatible Bridge which has not been used for ages also showing. It is preventing further updates and the inclusion of two other components we had on S1 and still want to use with S2. These two were not plugged in at time of updating to S2 but they are S2 compatible. We have tried several things a number of times, including an attempt to factory reset the Bridge to remove it from the S2 system, but it seems to not want to let go. There is no component removal option for the bridge in S1 either. It shows the Bridge as part of the S1 system and our three working S2 components as incompatible (understandably). Any ideas?

There also seem to be several areas in the Sonos help pages that don´t match up with what we´re seeing in the apps (S1 & S2). The S2 app won´t allow us to check that we´re connected to the correct Wi-Fi address via System/Network (requires an update which is then stopped by Error code 30 related to the Bridge!!) and in S1 it just says “In use”. I can´t see why we wouldn´t be connected but it would be good to be able to check.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi. So the Bridge appears in the app despite being powered off and disconnected?

@RJW70,
I’m not entirely sure I follow your post completely, but perhaps consider this suggestion… As you have upgraded some of your devices to an S2 System already, remove the S1 App from your mobile controller device to avoid confusion. That controller device by the way must meet the following requirements:

• iOS 14 and higher
  • iPadOS 14 and higher
  • Android 8.0 and higher (Not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

Switch off the Bridge and the two devices that you wish to upgrade to S2.

Open the S2 App and you should (all being well) now see the S2 products you upgraded earlier. 
Check for any software updates and install those.

When that’s all done, then one at a time power on one of the devices you plan to upgrade from S1 to S2 and when it appears in your Sonos App check for updates for that one speaker - if that doesn’t work, then you could try to factory reset it instead and then add it back to the S2 system as a new device via ‘Settings/Add Product’. 

Repeat for the other remaining device that you wish to upgrade to S2.

Set aside the powered off Bridge for now and ensure everything is working then perhaps later reset it for resale.

HTH

Thanks for the replies.

As John B asked, the Bridge still appears in the S2 app despite being totally disconnected and powered off.

I have removed the S1 app from my phone (iOS 15.7). The S2 app still shows my three working devices but the Bridge is also still there in the list. When I try to add in a Play:3 unit and upgrade from S1 to S2 I’m prevented from doing so due to an Error Code 30 related to the Bridge.

By the way, on closer inspection the other unit I have is a Play:5 (Gen1) I think, so this will in any case have to run on a separate S1 controller since it’s not S2 compatible. All the same, the first issue here is still not being able to stop the “deactivated” Bridge from preventing upgrade and inclusion of my Play:3 unit in S2.

I suppose if all else fails I could make sure that both the unconnected Play:3 and Play:5 units are OK for S1 and then include them both in that app, but don’t want to admit defeat just yet :-)

Reset the S2 App in ‘settings/app preferences’ and on reopening the App, skip the opening screens, but accept the terms and conditions and choose to connect to the existing S2 system and sign into your Sonos Account. See if that perhaps fixes the issue. I’m not sure how the Bridge is showing in the S2 App as it’s not compatible with that App🤔?

@RJW70
You won’t be able to connect the Play 5 (gen1) to the S2 system, as you mention - I’m just wondering why you didn’t leave all speakers on S1 and kept things as one system only? That’s if all your devices are S1 compatible?

@Ken_Griffiths 

Thanks for the advice. To cut a long story short, and after a lot of random trial and error, I now have all units set up. All but one are controlled by S2, with the Play:5 controlled by S1.

The Play:3 unit I eventually had to install by reinstating and resetting the S1 app (S2 wouldn’t accept my WiFi password despite several attempts). Sonos seemed to then jump in and more or less forcibly update this unit to S2.

The S2 app now shows the Bridge (still) and the Play:5 as incompatible, and the S1 app shows all units apart from the Play:5 (and of course the famous Bridge) as incompatible.

Everything is working at least, even if it looks a little messy.

@RJW70,

Glad things are working and now coming together - I find the ‘Bridge’ issue in the S2 App really unusual as I’ve not seen that before - but as an afterthought, it might be worth trying powering off ALL speakers and router and bringing them back online in order, to see if it clears the problem.

Bringing them back online in this order is usually suggested…

• Modem/Router
  • Wired devices
  • Nearest Wireless Sonos Device, followed by next nearest etc.

Let each device boot and settle its network connection before moving onto the next device.

Maybe that will sort the ‘phantom’ Bridge issue?