Answered

TV audio skipping.

Badge

Upgraded to S2 software now my audio from my TV skips really badly when I have more than one speaker playing the tv audio stream. It works fine when it's only the TV room speaker setup. Used to work perfect on the original software. Adjusting the group audio delay does nothing. Diagnostic 70307141

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 28 June 2020, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @petervaneerde,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report.

Is this audio issue only occurring on the Sonos Play: 1 speakers you have in other locations in your home or is it happening on the surround and home-theater devices as well? 

Can you try the following steps to see if your playback improves?

Change the Sonosnet channel that you system is using from 6 to either 1 or 11.

Reboot your WiFi router by unplugging it from power for approximately 1 minute. 

Reboot all of your Sonos products starting with your Playbar and then your Play: 1s.

When your system is back up online, please test playback on your system starting only with your “TV Room” and then adding other rooms one at a time.

If you respond with a follow up diagnostic report, we can see if there are any changes in the communications data.   

Badge

It occurs on every single speaker including the TV room setup.

Sonos net 6 has the least interference in my network. I tried the other two and they are worse.

Rebooted everything multiple times, no change

Badge

I should clarify; by adding even one more speaker to the tv room group I get the audio skipping on all speakers in the group. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @petervaneerde

Thank you for your response and diagnostic report.

Are you able to provide the model number of your Asus router?

Have you rebooted your router since you began experiencing this audio skipping?

Does this only occur from Home Theater audio or if you test this with a streaming service in the same room group, does the skipping continue?

Are you able to adjust the TV audio output settings for the optical port to Dolby Digital rather than PCM?

These may seem a bit like random questions but I’m trying to account for all of the variables. 

Badge

ASUS Wireless AC2900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router (RT-AC86U)

Yes I have rebooted everything including the router, the tv, every speaker, modem, everything

Only from my tv audio input. Other streams work fine when grouped.

The options are auto (which it is currently set to) and PCM (which I tried with no change observed).

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @petervaneerde,

If you are able to log into your Asus router and adjust settings, please verify that the following IPTV settings are set correctly. 

1. Log into the ASUS router.
  2. Under Advanced Settings, click LAN.
  3. Select the IPTV tab.
  4. Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) and Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping.)
  5. Go back to Advanced Settings, and click Wireless.
  6. Select the Professional tab.
  7. Enable IGMP Snooping.

and also this WAN setting:

1. Under Advanced Settings, click WAN.
  2. Toggle Enable UPnP to No and click Apply.

Please apply any necessary changes, reboot the router and Playbar then test for any changes.

Badge

Didn't help. See diagnostic 857540342

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @petervaneerde,

Thank you for your reply.

I’m seeing a bad connection between your Playbar and your router as well. Can you check for a loose connection between these two and if possible, switch out the network cable itself.

Can you change your Sonosnet channel back to channel 6 since you had better luck there? 

Badge

I changed the cable and the port on both the router and the playbar. No change.

Badge

Latest diagnostic: 1178989894

Badge

Hello?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @petervaneerde.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

My apologies for the late response. I would like to share with you the content indicated on the diagnostic that might be causing the issue. Based on the diagnostic, the Playbar is connected to the router via ethernet cable and is responsible for the Sonos Mesh system for all your Sonos devices including communicating in-behalf of your Home theater system which includes the sub and 2 satellite speakers. I would suggest replacing the Sonos Playbar with another Sonos Play 1 not included in the Home Theater speaker to be wired to the router or connect one additional Sonos speaker (Play 1 not part of the Home theater system) to the router via ethernet cable to lessen the stress on the Playbar.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help,

Thanks,

Badge

Why did it work perfectly before the S2 update then?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @petervaneerde.

Thanks for the immediate response.

Based on this topic trend, Your Sonos system has already encountered wireless interference even before the update, and just like what you have mentioned, no change even after the recommendation of one of my colleagues which was the wireless channel change. This time I would ask if we can try my recommendation and see how the Sonos system behaves, I would also recommend submitting a diagnostic before and after my recommendation have been set.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

I have no where to put a Play1 near my router. This is not a solution. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @petervaneerde.

Thanks for the immediate response.

I would suggest contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. You may also want to take note of the following information so we can check our internal articles for any known issues with your networking devices.

• Router make and model.
  • Modem make and model.
  • Wifi Booster/extender make and model.
  • Mesh system make and model.
  • Other non-Sonos devices connected to the router via ethernet cable.
  • Other non-Sonos devices wirelessly connected to the router.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Would just like to make it clear here for anyone else wha may stumble upon this thread that, as I suspected, NONE of the above was remotely helpful and ultimately the only thing that finally resolved this issue was an update pushed to my system probably about a week ago. Which is exactly what I said in the very first post. This is 100% a software/firmware problem which required a software/firmware fix.

If you have this problem I would just wait for updates and would not bother starting down this rabbit hole with Sonos support.