The Sonos Port is not detected on the network with the new version of S2.

• 28 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello!
There is a new Sonos Port in our office. The Sonos Port is located in the server cabinet, connected via an ethernet wire to the nearest switch. The network is new and the Internet is about 200 Mbps. There is only one subnet. There are no conflicts on the network. The network engineer confirmed it. I noticed a problem connecting to the Sonos Port with the new S2 version (updated). The updated Sonos Port (with S2) is not detected on the network. I tried to connect from my smartphone (Sonos S2 App), and also tried to find it from my computer (with Sonos S2). A long search for the device, eventually not to be found. Then I made a rollback (Downgrade) to the S1 version. After the rollback, the Sonos Port began to be detected normally on the network. In the previous version, an update message is intrusively coming out. Dear developers, please check this situation, it is necessary to fix the bug and optimize the new version of S2 for Port. Thank you!

P.S. Please move the topic to Audio Components

6 replies

I would first try another Ethernet cable - the Sonos Port has two Ethernet ports, so perhaps try its other Ethernet port too.

Check/reinstall the S2 App on the controller device, which should meet the system requirements shown HERE and authorise LAN access & all permissions shown HERE.

If still no joy after that, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is the Port the only Sonos device on the network? What device are you running the app on? The network is “new”, did it work on the old network?

I would first try another Ethernet cable - the Sonos Port has two Ethernet ports, so perhaps try its other Ethernet port too.

Check/reinstall the S2 App on the controller device, which should meet the system requirements shown HERE and authorise LAN access & all permissions shown HERE.

If still no joy after that, then it maybe best to reproduce the issue, then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Thank you for the answer!
Yes, of course, I tried to connect the cable to another LAN port and tried to change the cable, but it didn't help. The Sonos Port is officially compatible with both versions (S1 and S2). 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

Initially, the system requested to upgrade to a new version, I upgraded and then this problem appeared. I tried to reset the device and re-configure it, but it did not work, because the device was not detected on the network. (Initially, during the installation of the Sonos program (on Windows), I always give permission for the firewall.) After that, I rolled back to the previous version of S1. It works fine with him. Only the update message gets boring.

Yesterday I contacted Sonos support. The support service gave me recommendations (links to solutions for Windows). The settings policy of S1 and S2 are different. On the new S2 version, the settings are a bit specific. It is necessary to verify / configure the STP settings, as well as check the blocking by Antivirus and firewall, etc. protections.

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/configure-stp-settings-to-work-with-sonos
https://support.sonos.com/en/article/configure-your-firewall-to-work-with-sonos

When I'm around Sonos Port, I'll try it.

Is the Port the only Sonos device on the network? What device are you running the app on? The network is “new”, did it work on the old network?

Thank you for the answer!
Yes, of course, Sonos Port is the only one in my network. I run the application from an Android smartphone (Android 12), and also on Windows 10. For information, I wrote that the network is new. The previous version (S1) is working fine on this network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Lets back up a second and look at what sonos support told you:

• They said check your STP settings: a reasonable suggestion given this is a work network and likely to have managed switches somewhere. However STP hasn’t changed S1/S2 so slightly confusing.
  • Configure your Firewall: this is Windows-only, will have zero affect on Android, plus you can’t set up a new system on Windows anyway so that suggestion confuses me.

However we can do some basic verification on Windows: can you see the Sonos device in the Network area of Explorer? Something like this:

Is your Windows device wired or wireless? Some work networks will keep these two from directly communicating with each other.

Lets back up a second and look at what sonos support told you:

• They said check your STP settings: a reasonable suggestion given this is a work network and likely to have managed switches somewhere. However STP hasn’t changed S1/S2 so slightly confusing.
  • Configure your Firewall: this is Windows-only, will have zero affect on Android, plus you can’t set up a new system on Windows anyway so that suggestion confuses me.

However we can do some basic verification on Windows: can you see the Sonos device in the Network area of Explorer? Something like this:

Is your Windows device wired or wireless? Some work networks will keep these two from directly communicating with each other.

Hello! Thank you for your reply! For a long time, I didn't have time to check that Sonos Port again.

I recently visited the office where the Sonos Port is installed. There are no managed switches in the office. And I checked in the Windows Explorer to see if there is a Sonos or not. It is there.

And also I noticed that the old version of S1 on Windows (which worked) reported this:

Update to Sonos S2.

The Sonos S1 Controller isn't compatible with your system.
You have options:
Download the Sonos S2 app. All your settings and services will be saved. Or, use the Sonos S1 Controller to set up a new system or connect to a compatible one.

And it was impossible to just close the message and continue to stay in the old version.
So I decided to upgrade again. But Voila, everything worked after the update without any problems. Probably fixed in the new version. I haven't changed any other settings.