Sub and Flour - A short story

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi everybody!

I wanted to share something about my Sub. Yesterday my wife, while in the kitchen, decided to kill a insect on a vaulted ceiling using a two pound flour bag. Little that she knew, the bag bursted (just a tiny split, not all the way) and some of the flour got on the top of my Sub Gen2 and around it. I did not see anything in the Sub. After I experienced a tiny stroke :-), I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and cleaned the mess. Then I’ve put Master and Commander, Sub setting plus 10 and told my kids to go into their room. We did laugh about it how a split second moment of anger or simply not thinking things through could give you some not needed work. Now for the serious part.

Do you think anything could have happen? How is the Sub constructed, Where is the opening (besides the obvious rectangular one)? Do you think that flour can compare to dust in consistency and the ability to enter the SUB? Is it wise to turn the Sub upside down and try to shake it or vacuum some more?

P.S. My wife was sorry because she knows how much I care for my Sonos. I told her that a second One Gen2 could be the remedy. I am waiting for the response.

Have a nice day everyone

Neven

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Flour dust won’t likely be a problem, you can use canned air to blow any off the exposed surfaces.

I use a sheet of speaker cover cloth around my Subs to keep the Arizona dust and bugs out.

They sell custom fitted covers (Subs and other Sonos) if you need something fancy, my Subs are out of sight so I got to go cheap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi everybody!

I wanted to share something about my Sub. Yesterday my wife, while in the kitchen, decided to kill a insect on a vaulted ceiling using a two pound bag. Little that she knew, the bag bursted (just a tiny split, not all the way) and some of the flour got on the top of my Sub Gen2 and around it. I did not see anything in the Sub. After I experienced a tiny stroke 🙂, I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and cleaned the mess. Then I’ve put Master and Commander, Sub setting plus 10 and told my kids to go into their room. We did laugh about it how a split second moment of anger or simply not thinking things through could give you some not needed work. Now for the serious part.

Do you think anything could have happen? How is the Sub constructed, Where is the opening (besides the obvious rectangular one)? Do you think that flour can compare to dust in consistency and the ability to enter the SUB? Is it wise to turn the Sub upside down and try to shake it or vacuum some more?

P.S. My wife was sorry because she knows how much I care for my Sonos. I told her that a second One Gen2 could be the remedy. I am waiting for the response.

Have a nice day everyone

Neven

That made me laugh 🤣🤣  I’d go for a second Sub as the remedy, to cover the risk of failure of the first one! 😜

Edit:

On a serious note; the real risk of mixing flour and circuit boards is that the flour absorbs moisture overtime and so can eventually cause a short circuit. However, this would be unlikely to occur except in high moisture rooms like a kitchen.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Flour dust won’t likely be a problem, you can use canned air to blow any off the exposed surfaces.

I use a sheet of speaker cover cloth around my Subs to keep the Arizona dust and bugs out.

They sell custom fitted covers (Subs and other Sonos) if you need something fancy, my Subs are out of sight so I got to go cheap.

Thank you. I was looking at similar solutions. I really baby my speakers. For example Sub is still sitting on its foam bed :-)

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi everybody!

I wanted to share something about my Sub. Yesterday my wife, while in the kitchen, decided to kill a insect on a vaulted ceiling using a two pound bag. Little that she knew, the bag bursted (just a tiny split, not all the way) and some of the flour got on the top of my Sub Gen2 and around it. I did not see anything in the Sub. After I experienced a tiny stroke 🙂, I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and cleaned the mess. Then I’ve put Master and Commander, Sub setting plus 10 and told my kids to go into their room. We did laugh about it how a split second moment of anger or simply not thinking things through could give you some not needed work. Now for the serious part.

Have a nice day everyone

Neven

That made me laugh 🤣🤣  I’d go for a second Sub as the remedy, to cover the risk of failure of the first one! 😜

Edit:

On a serious note; the real risk of mixing flour and circuit boards is that the flour absorbs moisture overtime and so can eventually cause a short circuit. However, this would be unlikely to occur except in high moisture rooms like a kitchen.

Thank you. I did not photograph the “damage” in order not to see it ever again. But it was really like you’ve sprinkled some flour on top of the Sub and a little bit got right next to it, on the original rubber foam the Sub itself is sitting on. I’ve done it so that my robot vacuum cleaner does not bump into it.

I know, I am a bit anal about it.

Neven

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

lol, in that case, you’ve got nothing to worry about. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you. I was looking at similar solutions. I really baby my speakers. For example Sub is still sitting on its foam bed :-)

Neven

You will probably notice an improvement if the Sub is in direct contact with the floor and not on the foam base.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

lol, in that case, you’ve got nothing to worry about. :)

I know, I still have to warn the kids... but in this case, the wife slipped beneath my radar :-)

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Neven

You will probably notice an improvement if the Sub is in direct contact with the floor and not on the foam base.

How exactly? In terms of power and scale of sound i do think the sub if tooo powerfull. I was even thinking of downgrading to sub mini and replacing my paistry infected sub gen2…

Neven

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sub performance is assisted by contact with a solid surface. Dedicated hi end AV systems have carpet spikes for soft flooring and flat feet for solid floors.

It gives better sound quality and less echo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Kids? Then you need something to cover the holes before you have to appreciate Lego enhanced Sub sounds.

As said I went with cloth for mine but I think ebay has some plastic ones that just go in the holes. No idea about sound impact but it looks minimal.

My Subs are so low vibration what they are on doesn’t seem to matter, one is on tile, it was on a lawn-care kneeling foam pad for a while too, no difference in sound. The other is sitting on the bottom shelf of an IKEA wood shelf unit and seems perfectly happy there.

My non-Sonos sub was more sensitive to what it set on.

With respect to the flour, I suspect the damage to relations with your wife is more significant than damage to the SUB. My understanding of your “dusting” is that the flour simply fell straight down. While this could look bad, I doubt that any significant amount of flour entered the SUB. 

If faced with this sort of accident, I’d use a vacuum cleaner to pick up the major spill, taking care not to touch the speaker with the vacuum nozzle. If necessary, you could use a soft brush to encourage the flour to enter the vacuum cleaner nozzle. Final cleanup should be done with a damp cloth. My SUB’s are glossy and I don’t touch them more than necessary because eventually I’ll craze the finish. Use techniques appropriate for piano cleaning. Use very soft rags, avoid paper towels, always use damp, never dry. For years I used old my old diapers for such tasks. These were used for my siblings and cousins and were well broken-in. It was a sad day when the last diaper turned into dust and I had to find another scheme to delicately clean surfaces. So far nothing has matched these old diapers.

If some flour entered the ports, you can go after this with the vacuum cleaner too. You can gently push the vacuum hose a few inches into the port without causing any damage. Use a brush to stir up the flour if necessary, and a damp cloth for final cleaning.

Canned air would be OK for a light dusting, but I’d be reluctant to use this to remove large amounts of dust because the dust will be blown into the air and a good portion will soon be back.

In my opinion kids, bugs, and small rodents present a higher risk than flour.