Answered

spotify song skips and drops

Hi there,

Been seeking a resolution to this problem for a while. Moved my system to completely wired and removed some components to see if they were the source of interference. No luck so hoping support has a better idea of what is going on. 

Lost connection to Spotify error. Song skips and general intermittent problems with music streaming. Local music works fine and home theater works fine.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 June 2021, 13:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lora 

Your diagnostic was sent at a time when the app was not connecting to your system, so it is somewhat lacking in useful information. Please try again (after reproducing the issue).

Please also test other sources, so we can discount Spotify as the problem.

I recommend you sacrifice a speaker for a day or two, and leave it connected to the router. If, after a couple of days, you are convinced doing this has helped, then I recommend you look into getting a Boost to connect there instead of the speaker (the Boost does the same as a wired speaker, but costs much less as it has no playback ability).

Please also disband the group of speakers and recreate it, but selecting a different speaker first. The first speaker selected will be in charge of the group and will have more to do, so it’s usually best if the speaker in charge is the one closest to the router.

Finally, when the music stops, do any of the speakers flash white?

@Corry P 

I am now playing music with one speaker connected to the router and it hasn't dropped yet so I’m assuming it’s a wifi issue?

@Corry P switched it back to Wi-fi and if has dropped again after two songs. 
I’ll look into a boost but I’m reluctant to buy another product to do something these speakers should be capable of. 
I haven’t had this problem with them until I moved house this week and suddenly they don’t work on Wi-fi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lora 

It does sound like it might be, though I see no WiFi disconnects - mind you, in each diagnostic the speakers aren’t reporting that they’ve been on for very long so there may be no time for me to see it happen.

I recommend that you don’t reboot any speakers, as when you do, the logs are erased. Please also keep an eye out for flashing white lights - this shouldn’t happen spontaneously and indicates a reboot.

For WiFi connections (with no Sonos devices wired to ethernet), Sonos prefers the following router WiFi settings:

• 2.4 GHz (best to separate 2.4 & 5 GHz so their network names (SSIDs) are different - I usually add “-5” to the end of the 5GHz SSID)
  • 802.11 b/g mode
  • 20 MHz channel width
  • Smart Setup (or similar) disabled
  • A stable channel number (no auto mode). 1, 6 or 11 are recommended as they don’t overlap

The router should also be at least 1m from any device that receives or transmits on the 2.4GHz band (any WiFi device, but also hubs, cordless phone bases, baby monitors and more).

If we can sort out the WiFi, you won’t need a Boost (or a wired speaker).

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Lora 

I wrote my last before seeing your last.

When you moved, did you change router? If so, it’s likely configuration of the router. If not, it’s probably placement - under the stairs doesn’t sound ideal as there’s lots of extra mass around stair cases (wood, stone, concrete, brick) - or interference.

Hi @Lora 

I wrote my last before seeing your last.

When you moved, did you change router? If so, it’s likely configuration of the router. If not, it’s probably placement - under the stairs doesn’t sound ideal as there’s lots of extra mass around stair cases (wood, stone, concrete, brick) - or interference.

Hi, 

yes it’s a new router, unfortunately it was all wired in when I moved in and it’s a new build area so choice of only one provider at the moment. 

When it dropped just now the speaker light did flash for a second before going back to solid white and the app told me the connection to spotify had been lost. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Lora 

A quick flash is OK - when it flashes for about 30 seconds it’s rebooting.

It sounds like adjusting router settings or reducing nearby interference will help. Or a Boost, but I’d consider that a last resort.

Hi Corry. I’m having the same issue as Lora, even down to the point that I’m in a new build and have to have the router under the stairs. 

I’ve had the same problem with Spotify (no issues with any other services) connecting to Sonos for the last 2/3 months, since the issues you already mentioned had started. It worked seamlessly virtually every single day for the 6 months prior. 

I’ve spoken to 3 or 4 of your colleagues via chat who have been helpful, but we’ve been unable to fix the interference.

We’ve tried all the reboots, updates and channel changes, and it works fine with an ethernet cable (I don’t want this as a long term fix though).

Could there still be an issue with Spotify specifically? I’m reluctant to buy a boost because it worked fine before and the speaker is close enough to the router. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gwelchh 

The only known playback issue on Spotify at the moment is where adding a track with Play Next will make that track skip. 

Having said that, I do see evidence of your speaker getting deauthorisation errors when refreshing it’s connection to your WiFi - this is usually caused by your router combining 2.4 & 5GHz bands, and mistakenly steering the speaker to 5GHz, which it will not connect to. This can delay reconnection and break playback continuity. The fix is to separate the bands so they have different network names (SSIDs). I usually add “-5” to the end of the name for 5Ghz. Then teach your 5GHz capable WiFi devices the new name/password, but not Sonos. SonosNet (wiring one Sonos unit to Ethernet) bypasses this issue, which is why the issue then goes away.

I hope this helps.

I’ve done that but, unfortunately, literally nothing via Spotify now works. Radio working fine by comparison. 

Diagnostics, if helpful: 1779301782

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gwelchh 

Your Play:1 seems to be rebooting itself quite a lot - does it frequently flash white for 10-30 seconds, spontaneously? I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team if so, though you might want to make sure that the speaker’s power supply is uninterrupted - if the cable seems sound, please try from another power outlet.

I hope this helps.