Answered

Sonos system ’repair’ is to disable the Sonos Port.

• 20 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Having suffered  worsening and  considerable amount of audio drop-outs from everything on my system: TV, radio, Roam, music library and vinyl over the past several months; I once again contacted customer support. After  running diagnostic checks the temporary solution was to disconnect the Sonos Port.

This has resulted in all audio playing correctly with only one or two drop-outs in the day or so since the ‘fix’ was applied.

The advice was to connect the Port only when we want to play vinyl, but the vinyl drops-out as well.

Is there anyway I can re-attach the Port to my system, or have Sonos mis-represented the nature of their product and the Port is incompatible with other Sonos products?

My system is:

Room 1 Home cinema system consisting of Playbar, two x Play 3 and Sub-mini;

Room2: Play1;  Room 3: Play 1; Room 4; Port and record deck; Roam

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 January 2024, 14:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Topbrick1 

What did support tell about your network situation?

Do you just use your home network wifi or also the SonosNet (if at least one of your Sonos devices is connected via lan)?

There could be several reasons for the dropouts caused by wifi conflicts. Have you tried adjusting wifi channels and perhaps other network settings? 

Do the dropouts also happen, if a single room is used for playback although the port itself isn’t involved anyway? 

I can‘t believe that supports „fix“ advice was to temporary take the port from the system.

I’d be guessing an issue with duplicate IPs on your router. As a test, try unplugging all of your Sonos devices from power. While they are unplugged, reboot your router, and give it a couple of minutes to come back up. Finally, plug back in your Sonos devices, including the Port, and wait five minutes for the system to boot up, and settle down. Finally, test to see if you can reproduce this issue.

If it’s gone away (fingers crossed), then I’d highly recommend setting up reserved IP addresses in your router. Instructions for how to do that would be in the router’s manual. While it is uncommon, any router that has gotten into this state once might do it again. 

I agree Schlumf, I was  gobsmacked with supports ‘fix’ but that advice should be enshrined in the recording of the call. I have tried all you suggest, to no avail.

Hi Airgetlam, I’ve tried unplugging everything and rebooting the router a number of times. It doesn’t work for long. I shall have to try the reserved IP addresses route but I’ve read that these do not remain in place either.  I =cannot set up a SonoNet as I do not have an appropriate device near the router and it is not possible to change that situation.

Userlevel 7

Are you by chance using a router/modem combo device supplied by your ISP in conjunction with your own router? If so you may have two networks both sending WiFi. You should disable the WiFi portion of the hardware provided by your ISP. 

I’m not sure where you read that ‘reserved’ aren’t permanent. They should stay until you make changes to them. 

If you wanted to set up SonosNet, another Sonos speaker, or a Sonos Boost would be appropriate. However, this would have no relationship/impact on reserved IP addresses, those are still recommended. Reserved IP addresses are agnostic to method of connection, they should be done with a wired system, a SonosNet system, or a WiFi system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Topbrick1 

Thank you for reporting this - I also do not consider this to be a valid “fix” and have left some feedback for the agent.

If the advice given above does not help, please try getting in touch once more. Thanks.