Skip to main content

Wow, I just got off the phone with SONOS support. First time I have called in 12 years. I long for the days when you called and got an engineer on the phone. Someone who does not read from a script and actually understands the technology including networking. The issue was my environment was disappearing. This was happening on MAC, IPADs, PC and Iphones. It would either connect, take minutes to connect or just tell me in could not find the SONOS network. I rebooted the Unifi 24 Port Pro and UDM Pro without much luck. I was able to connect to the devices via web interface and they were all there. All on the correct network however once I got connected via the app I removed the network and added it back. I also use SONOSnet on some as I have them wired in.. I changed channels and finally settled on “1”. 

Support kept asking to remote into the iphone to check it’s settings. Just didn’t get it was not the Iphone. Also, he did not understand what a UDM Pro was - He kept asking for the router model which is a UDM Pro. That seemed to confuse him because he was stuck in a loop “What is the model”. He put me on hold for five minutes and came back insisting it was an unsupported router. When I asked for a level 2 or 3 he was going to pass me to a supervisor . Sigh - I have been doing this for 15+ years. I remember talking to John MacFarlane - asking to be a beta tester and boom it was done. SONOS is fantastic - I sell it to everyone I can - But the support is terrible.

@raforbes,
Maybe this link will help you with your ‘device discovery’ issue…

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

At $1 billion per year, if Sonos had to pay engineers to answer every support call, they’d be charging 10 times as much per unit, or out of business.  Unfortunately, employing support staff with great knowledge doesn’t scale too easily, and the old days of Sonos are long past. 

Early SONOS was “lean and mean”. Very early I don’t think that there was a support staff, engineers provided the support. Then they started recruiting young engineers and engineering students for support duties. Now, there are a certain number of script readers, but I don’t know the ratio. Based on comments here in the Community, quality of advice seems to vary.

@raforbes Sorry to hear that. I know it can be frustrating and UDM ofc is not unsupported, but please consider that your unifi hardware is intended for (semi) professional use. 

I would not recommend unifi/UDM for home users and I see many people in forums having troubles with setting up unifi and blaming Sonos/support, when in fact an admin should be responsible for such network issues. 

I don't want to sound rude, but I think you should lower you expectations for a free support line. It won't be like when you talked to the CEO. While your support contact clearly got some things wrong (yes, that happens) they offered to pass to higher up. That sounds like solution based working.

What happend after you talked to the supervisor? They should have been able to point you in the right direction or give more help.