Sonos Roam skips when added to Airplay through iOS but not when added through Sonos App.

• 21 May 2022
  • 4 replies

I have 2 HomePod minis, 2 Sonos Ones, a roam and several Airplay2 TVs. When I start playing on multiple speakers through iOS control center only the Roam will skip. It shouldn’t be WiFi interference because if I use the Sonos app to add the Roam it won’t skip. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It could well be wireless interference. The local stream flow is completely different using Airplay. 

With the Sonos controller the speaker is commanded to play the stream directly, and to share the stream with any grouped speakers.

With Airplay the stream is fed to the mobile first then typically sent over 16/44 lossless ALAC to Sonos. Sometimes a grouping arranged through Airplay will be mirrored as a Sonos group. At other times the stream could be sent to multiple Airplay targets individually.

If I select to Airplay audio from an iOS App on my iPad Pro to play to ‘more than’ one Sonos device, my iOS Airplay device-list auto-groups the devices and they show ‘grouped’ both in that iOS list and the Sonos App too. See screenshot.

Maybe it’s different iOS devices, or perhaps the way some Apps work?

In the OP’s case, I see all the speakers are selected (checked), but each are still listed separately and I wonder if that’s where the problems may lie? Perhaps try manually grouping the speakers first in the Sonos App and then Airplaying to just the one (Group Controller) device and see if that helps to stop the audio interruptions.

Not sure why in my first screenshot they weren’t grouped, usually they are, I may have just expanded them and added the Roam back in since it was playing from Sonos add but not “checked” in Control Center. 

@Tpmcguire79,

A couple of other suggestions to perhaps consider are…

Check to see that your router is using a ‘fixed non-overlapping WiFi channel (1, 6, or 11) for its 2.4Ghz band and also, if the router allows, set a channel-width of 20Mhz only for that band, to help reduce possible interference.

If you already have a wired non-portable Sonos device (connected to the local router), also set the SonosNet channel so that it is 5+ channels away from your chosen router channel. Always try to ensure the wired device is positioned well away from the router, or any ‘other’ wireless device …at least one metre away. 

If (hopefully) you are using separate SSID’s for your routers 2.4Ghz/5Ghz WiFi bands, maybe try the Roam connected to the 2.4Ghz WiFi band too, that’s if it’s presently using your routers 5Ghz band.

To add a WiFi network/SSID goto ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ and select ‘Update Networks’ to add a nearby WiFi Network to your Sonos product(s).

You can also actually remove any unused WiFi connections in the Sonos App, as outlined in this support document:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3488

Hope those suggestions assist to prevent the audio interruptions.