Sonos Port low volume

I have a Audio Technica LP60XBK turntable that is connected to Sonos Port. The pre-amplifier switch is set to LINE on the turntable. When I play a vinyl on the turntable, the sound output on my Sonos ARC, with sub and two play one's are too low. 

In the Sonos app, I did try setting the "Source Level" under Sonos port settings from all the way from Level 1 to Level 10. Level 1, basically nothing can be heard and Level 10 is as though set on low volume.

Do not know what else to check and if there is an issue with port or turntable.

Any help would be appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Double check the connections on the turntable and Port. Make sure the audio cable has been fully inserted into the Analog Out port on the back of the turntable. Also set Audio Compression to Uncompressed in the Sonos app.

What is playing the audio? 3rd party amplifier? SONOS speaker?

@GuitarSuperstar I checked everything again and unplugged and re-plugged the RCA cable from turntable to Sonos port. To give an example, when I play a vinyl and the volume is set to 50% its the same volume I get perhaps when watching Netflix at 15%. 

@buzz I’m playing audio via Sonos Arc + Two rear Play Ones and a sub.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Do you have any other device you could connect via Line-in, to try and identify Port or turntable as the problem? 

Badge +20

If you move the switch on the turntable to phono does it make any difference (Sonos line in set at 10)

Which cartridge is installed on the turntable?

@Belly M I have tried setting turntable switch to phono and I cannot hear a thing!. The only other thing I have is a Pioneer dedicated AVR and I can try connecting the turntable to it and listen.

@buzz What ever that came with the turntable. Its a brand new one by the way.

While the level difference is annoying, I don’t think that there is a defect. The output level specification of that internal turntable preamp and cartridge is 125mV. In my opinion this is a bit low, but it is a common level. Some CD players have a level of 2.0V which, in my opinion, is too high, but this is common too. Users of traditional A/V equipment struggle when switching between CD and phono and the industry doesn’t seem to care. Some receivers offer an input level trim, similar to PORT, but the difference between 0.125 and 2.0 is more than many of these controls can accommodate.

@buzz Thanks for giving an explanation about the low volume.

From the specks of turntable, I was able to see the Pre-amp LINE is 150 mv. Does this mean the line level output is 150 mV? Would a phono-pre amp help? So that I can switch to phono and add a pre-amp and then connect the pre-amp to Sonos port.

Output Level

Pre-amp “PHONO”: 2.5 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec Pre-amp “LINE”: 150 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec

Also, looking at this article, line level seems standardised at 0.316 V or 316 mV. In that case why Audio Technica LP60XBK has a output at half the current standard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Deepak_1 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Would a phono-pre amp help? So that I can switch to phono and add a pre-amp and then connect the pre-amp to Sonos port.​​​

I think that might be the best option. If it doesn’t work, just get a refund for the pre-amp.

@Corry P 

Today I borrowed a Musical Fidelity V90-LPS phono pre-amp from a local hifi-store and gave it a try. My initial impressions, the sound output was better than before, but not a great extent. I downloaded a dB app on phone to give a test and these are the results.

With phono pre-amp, at 50% volume on Sonos port, the db values were 60 to 70, without the phono pre-amp and setting to LINE on the turntable the db values at the same 50% volume level was 50 to 60. So by using external pre-amp, I’m getting a average of 10db more. Is this expected?

The guy at the local wi-fi store also suggested to take a different turntable that does not have the build in pre-amp to test the sound, which I will in a day or two.

The Musical Fidelity V90-LPS does again tell me what is its line level output. Are these any good?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Deepak_1 

With phono pre-amp, at 50% volume on Sonos port, the db values were 60 to 70, without the phono pre-amp and setting to LINE on the turntable the db values at the same 50% volume level was 50 to 60. So by using external pre-amp, I’m getting a average of 10db more. Is this expected?

I really don’t know. I searched documentation for anything regarding line-in levels, but couldn’t find anything along these lines. Perhaps someone can compare your results with their own?

The guy at the local wi-fi store also suggested to take a different turntable that does not have the build in pre-amp to test the sound, which I will in a day or two.

This is not a bad idea at all. Though I would first try replacing the RCA audio cable, if you haven’t already (unless it can’t be removed from the turntable, of course).

The Musical Fidelity V90-LPS does again tell me what is its line level output. Are these any good?

Sorry, but I can’t comment on third-party devices.

Have you tried connecting another device to the Port (Line-out from the AVR, perhaps)? This would help narrow down the cause of the problem.