Answered

Sonos Port and Legacy HiFi System

• 9 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Looking at buying a Sonos Port to link with my old Technics stack HiFi system incorporating a Technics SU-X520D amplifier.

Specifically wanting to do two things:

1. Stream vinyl from my turntable which connects to the amp via phono sockets to my Sonos system (Arc soundboard with 2 SL1 surround speakers and 2 standalone Sonos One and 2 standalone SL1 speakers.

2. Stream music from my computer via Airplay through the Technics system.

My understanding of the advice in the posts in the Community is to hook up the tape deck Out / In jacks to the Port In /Out connections.

That is fine, happy to do that, but as the tape deck is currently hooked up to the amp, I wondered if there were other possibilities?

I have DAT Record Out sockets;

VCR Out and In sockets

VDP one set of (unspecified) sockets.

There is also a set of External Out / In sockets, but these are currently hooked up to the Graphic Equaliser.

In addition, there is an Auxiliary Digital-In socket which, presumably, I could connect to the Port Out using a co-axial cable?

Would appreciate advice on what is possible and the best way forwards. It has taken me weeks to get this far!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 9 January 2024, 22:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Port analog out to Tape In.  Tape Out to Port Line-In.  Treat Port like a tape recorder, stereo output plays through Tape out to Port and rest of Sonos, Port output played through Tape in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Tape is usually best as it offers both normal and tape-monitor switching.

VDP is video disc player and is likely an input.

You might try using the DAT and VDP ports together but you may not have the tape-monitor function.

VCR is also a possibility but still may have the tape-monitor issue.

If you can’t do the above, maybe see if the tape deck has secondary in/out ports.

Last resort searchout a user manual and dig into it.

Tape is usually best as it offers both normal and tape-monitor switching.

VDP is video disc player and is likely an input.

You might try using the DAT and VDP ports together but you may not have the tape-monitor function.

VCR is also a possibility but still may have the tape-monitor issue.

If you can’t do the above, maybe see if the tape deck has secondary in/out ports.

Last resort searchout a user manual and dig into it.

Thank you! I guess it is a question of experimenting and seeing what works (or doesn't)! I do have the original user manuals, but it doesn't have too much to say about these functions.