Skip to main content

According to the information on the 12V trigger

”Port has a 12V trigger output with a current rating of 200mA that can be connected to an amplifier with a 12V trigger input. This brings an amplifier out of standby mode when music starts playing, reducing the time it takes for the amplifier to become active and start outputting audio to your speakers.”

My question is, what makes the trigger turn off?

1. Selecting Mute
  2. Hitting the stop button on the application 
  3. I have an analog TV input for the port, if the TV sound turns off, but the Sonos is still playing, will this turn off the trigger?

Hi @Bobneedshelp 

Thanks for your post!

Port will lower the voltage on the 12v trigger rail 2 minutes after stopping playback. Whether the connected amplifier acts on this immediately or has it’s own timeout to be enacted is down to the manufacturer and may vary.

Note that the amplifier has 3 ways of determining if music has stopped, and may use any combination of them to figure out what to do: the 12v trigger, IP sensing (over the network with Works With Sonos devices) and voltage-sensing of the incoming signal. 

1. Selecting Mute - Yes, but 2 min later
  2. Hitting the stop button on the application - Yes, but 2 min later
  3. I have an analog TV input for the port, if the TV sound turns off, but the Sonos is still playing, will this turn off the trigger? ​​​​​​- If the Port indicates that it is still playing (the 3 bars are showing playback activity) then the 12v rail will be active.

I hope this helps.