Question

Sonos One not connecting to Nighthawk AX1800 mesh network

• 4 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi, I’m having trouble keeping my Sonos One connected to my mesh network; from looking around, it seems like people have been able to use Sonos products with the Nighthawk AX1800 (EAX20) mesh extender, so I’m wondering if there’s some misconfiguration on my end. I didn’t change a lot of settings when I set things up, there are separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks (I’m not using the Smart Connect features, which combine them) and all the Sonos devices are connected to the 2.4ghz. So everything is connected via the same SSID and password, but if a device switches to connecting to the mesh extender, it becomes unavailable in the Sonos app. The main router is a Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX50S).

Anyone have ideas if there are settings I could be changing here to resolve this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dinosaursssssss, thank you for reaching to us and welcome to the Sonos community and I appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. Let me help you out with this.

I'd like to suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

• Temporarily wire one of your speakers to the Nighthawk mesh router. Your mobile device should be connected to your Nighthawk as well.
  • Get back on the Sonos app. Check if you're connected and all your Sonos speakers are showing.
  • Run the Wireless setup to register your Sonos to your WiFi network
    • On the Sonos app, please go to Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup.
    • You will see your WiFi network name on the list. Select it and enter your WiFi password.

If after performing the steps above and you're still facing the same issue, please submit another diagnostic report and provide us the confirmation number. Also, if you can provide your full network setup including the make and model of each device, and how they are connected to further assist you on this.

Let us know how it goes. We'll wait for your reply.

Yeah, the issue is that every time the One connects to the mesh extender (rather than the router) it disconnects and I have to plug it back in and re-run wireless setup. Then it’ll show up in the app again until the signal dips and it reconnects to the extender, and disappears again.

Diagnostic confirmation number is 554387571

Network hardware:

NETGEAR Nighthawk AX1800 (EAX20)

NETGEAR Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX50S)

ARRIS SURFboard SB6121

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dinosaursssssss, thank you for your response. I really appreciate you for providing the make and model of your network devices and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking the diagnostic, all your Sonos devices are connected to your WiFi extenders in the same WiFi network. One of your Sonos One is connected to another WiFi extender.

I'd like to suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

1. Disconnect WiFi extenders from the power to ensure that your Sonos will connect to your main router.
2. Change the SSID or WiFi name of the extender. Sonos will only connect to the recognized network. If your main router and WiFi extenders have the same SSID, Sonos will connect to it.
3. SonosNet is recommended to broadcast the same wireless signal to your other speakers.
4. If you have access to your router settings, below are the settings that need to be verified. You can contact your Interner Service Provider or router manufacturer for assistance.

• The auto channel must be set to Off
  • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)
  • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz
  • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled
  • UPnP should be enabled
  • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n
  • Airtime Fairness should be disabled (if applicable)

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit another diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

OK I went through and changed the recommended settings, wired, reset, and re-added the One that wasn’t connected, and it worked for about a week. I repeated and it worked for a few days, but it’s disconnected again. I just submitted diagnostics again, the number is 1334616619.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @dinosaursssssss, thank you for providing a detailed response and for performing the troubleshooting steps. I appreciate you for submitting the diagnostic report.

Upon checking the report, your Sonos One speaker is offline and only showing the dining and living rooms which are connected to your WiFi network. 

To address your concern here our recommendations:

1. Switch to SonosNet. Hardwire one of your speakers to your router.
2. Change SSID or the WiFi name of your extenders. Sonos will only connect to the recognized network.
3. Move your Sonos One closer to the router.

To further assist you with this, you may continue working with us over the phone. You can contact our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps to provide you the best option.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.