Sonos One dead (cannot power up).

• 5 October 2020
  • 76 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor I
  • 4 replies

i just had one of my Sonos One, less than 2 years old, die on me over the weekend. it doesn’t power up at all. it’s not the power cable as the cable works with another unit i have.

what should i do?

and fortunate / unfortunate timing, as i was looking to buy a few more units - need to relook options.

Paul A 3 years ago

Hi @RF7.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I understand the situation you’re in. Having a device that suddenly not work and not power on is not a good experience to have. Let us help you out.

As what @Airgetlam has mentioned, It is in your best interest to call our technical support team to conduct a more in-depth troubleshooting step or possible product replacement. I would also like to suggest the following basic troubleshooting step that might help out.

• Can we unplug the power cord from the power outlet and from the Sonos One and plug it back after 10-15 seconds. We just want to make sure everything fits snuggly.
  • If the Sonos One is plugged into a power strip and not a power outlet, can we bypass the power strip and plug it into a power outlet and check if the Sonos One would get any light indications at all?
  • If the Sonos One is plugged into a power outlet, can we check by either plugging another device (that works) on the same power outlet that the Sonos One is plugged into to make sure that there is power supplied on that power outlet?
  • Can we try also plugging the One into a different power outlet and check if we have any improvements?

If after following the above recommendations and still we have no signs of activity on the Sonos One, I would then try contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps or possible product replacement.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

View original

76 replies

All electronic devices are susceptible to failure.  Sonos is not an outlier, nor in my perception, a standout in the failure end of things.

But it is possible, just like any TV or computer, that a Sonos speaker can fail. Each Sonos device is, after all, essentially a computer with a speaker attached. If your home has electrical issues, either internal to your home, or delivered to your home by your utility, Sonos can’t fix that, either. Electrical surges are particularly inimical to computer equipment. 

Sonos equally doesn’t have any control over your LAN or Wifi system, the thing that the Sonos relies on to connect to the internet, and any local devices, including your controller.

Some of that can be mitigated by running a “wired” or “SonosNet” system, but at the end of the day, all of these options require that your router be creating a valid network for the Sonos to live on. When there’s a problem with that network, nothing Sonos can do can fix that, it’s up to you as an owner to either figure out yourself, or provide hard data to Sonos, or even anecdotal data here, which the community can use to help diagnose the issues you’re experiencing. 

None of this negates your frustration, and I completely understand it. But not everyone is experiencing the same thing. I’ve got somewhere north of 20 Sonos devices, and not a single one of them has failed. Which doesn’t help you, since one of yours did, but provides a counter to your “obviously there is a defect”. I could easily claim “obviously, there isn’t a defect”. 

It may well be that electronic devices fail but there seem to be a lot of people experiencing the same thing.  My Sonos One is dead as a dodo and has hardly been used. I certainly won’t be replacing it in view of the many bad reviews here - and those are only from the people who can be bothered to write one so there may probably be many more people with faulty devices.   Sad that electronics have become virtually a disposable (but expensive) item. 

Same issue here. Two sonos one gen 2 less than 2 years old fail to power up. Just completely dead.

did someone try taking this somewhere to get fixed? Or sent back to sonos? It could be something minor. 

What did Sonos say, when you contacted them?

This company is a joke. They sent me a way bill to send the speakers back along with the reply below.

May 31 

“Hello Sammy,
It is good to know, you got the email with the waybill, as soon we get the defective units, we are going to ship the new ones, also you will receive an email with the tracking information.
Best Regards,
Karen P”

I replied back saying thank you and both units are shipped out. 

June 4 I get the following reply.

“Hello Sammy,
Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Customer Experience. We hope this email finds you in good health. Thank you for letting us know. 
In your case, since the returned units are outside of the warranty period, what you will receive once they have been processed is a voucher for a 30% discount credit on sonos.com for each of the speakers.
These credits are open and can be used on one item each from all available at the store, so you can use them to replace your units directly or you can use them for a different kind of speaker if you prefer. The discount will apply to sets as well as they are qualified as a single item, but please keep in mind that if you use a voucher on a shopping cart that has more than one item listed the discount will be applied to the most expensive one only.  
Best regards”

I replied back with:

“Then why did you ask me to ship the speakers back to you? They already left 3 days ago.

As per the email below from Karen on May 31, 2022, 12:07 PM, she confirmed they are under warranty and I was getting a replacement. What has changed now?

Please see attached email and let me know”

and their reply today was this

Hello Sammy,
We understand that this might be frustrating and take part of your time.
I regret the last email from Ehirin on June 3, is correct, the defective unit warranty expires on June 24, 2021, and we are offering you a 30% discount code for the inconvenience. Once the defective units get to our warehouse the discounts will be released for your use.
Why the defective unit is requested to be sent?
This is part of our improvement process, our technicians have to study what fails and why to avoid this from happening again in future products.
Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and we thank you for your understanding on this matter. If you have other concerns, feel free to let us know.
All the best,
Shi Sing Y”

This company is a joke. I understand the speakers are outta of warranty and they could have said that from the second I called and ended this back and forth. I took a day off work just to send these speakers out. 

They wont warranty my speakers but they want them back for a study? I have almost 10 sonos speakers/products at my house and I will never ever buy another one. I will list what I have for sale and never recommend this garbage to anyone else.

Very disappointed.

Sorry for the rant, this is just ridiculous.

Exactly the same problem here. 

I'm out.

Sonos is a scam. If they built good quality products, they would offer services similar to Apple, but instead, the products are good looking on the outside and probably full of cheap electronic components. 

As for "electronic fails", this is BS. I have laptops, phones and cameras that are many many years old. They are just good products.

In contrast, I have 8 Sonos Ones (2 x Gen-1, 4 x Gen-2 and 2 x SL) I have had each of these players since they were first released and none have failed and continue to work flawlessly. I also have two much-older Play:1’s aswell and they are working fine too.

Some years ago, I gave my two children 6 Play:1’s as I replaced them with the Sonos Ones mentioned, for use in their own Homes and they all continue to work aswell. 

In a similar vein however, My Son and I each purchased an iPhone XR around the same time from John Lewis and whilst mine has worked without issue, his phone has failed (twice) and been replaced… so as with all electronic devices it’s ‘swings and roundabouts’ and that’s why some choose to buy extended warranties to cover for such breakdowns and failures… these things can happen to any device, or any manufacturer, no matter what quality controls are put in place on a production line. 

In my brothers case, he tends to stumble on more issues with the cars he buys… he’s never been lucky with any car he has purchased from new, or used.

I’m not here crying for them not covering this, Its out of warranty and **** happens

I’m mad for them dicking me around for no reason.

I called them, they took my serial number, at that point say no warranty, sorry bye. Simple as that

Two days later they called me and ask me for a video of the speakers and what they are doing.

Two days after that or so I get an email saying please send the speakers and we will replace them.

I go bought packaging material and a box and I ship them them. When they leave they tell me they are not covered and we want them for research? That’s what ticked me off. 

30% discount for a new pair? yeah take my money again after my $500 speakers failed in 16 months.

I have a JBL Bluetooth speaker for 5 years that works flawlessly still. I will stick to known brands from now on. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Failed in 16 months? They should not be out of warranty then.

Their warranty is 12 months. 

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. My speaker failed in less than two years just like everyone else on here. Sonos cares nothing about taking care of its customers.

Goodbye Sonos

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. My speaker failed in less than two years just like everyone else on here. Sonos cares nothing about taking care of its customers.

Goodbye Sonos

Really, totally garbage. 
clearly it’s a common fail with these speakers and they still won’t do anything about it. 

I always thought that’s precisely why some folk choose to take out small appliance ‘extended’ warranty cover, to provide replacement cover/repair for such situations, particularly as these kind of things can happen to any make/model of device.

I’ve had an Apple iPad last a good many years and an iPhone last me just 2 years. I’m sure a good many (many) thousands of people worldwide likely have the exact same model of Sonos device that’s lasted much longer than the couple of examples mentioned here in this thread and that they will continue to have enjoyment from their speakers for a decade, or more.

Anyhow, if you are that worried about the longevity of ‘any’ purchased product, then perhaps consider paying to extend beyond the manufactures warranty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Excellent service from Allstate. https://www.squaretrade.com/

Bought one of these but never used it. https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Equipment-Warranties/b?ie=UTF8&node=2242348011

I buy these for gifts, for my own gear I just go with what Sonos offers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Their warranty is 12 months. 

In Europe it is two years. I did not know the warranty periode differs depending on where you live….

My Sonos One SL (one of six Sonos products I own) just stopped working randomly. I’ve had this one for18 months. I’ve tried all the steps suggested on the Sonos site and in this thread… to no avail.  Reading all of this makes me nervous about calling support. I’ve paid a bundle for the system. I’d be very disappointed to get the, “we’ll give you 30% of a replacement rehabbed one” response. If one out of six of these lasts less than 18 months, they should be selling these at Walmart for half the cost. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

My Sonos One SL (one of six Sonos products I own) just stopped working randomly. I’ve had this one for18 months. I’ve tried all the steps suggested on the Sonos site and in this thread… to no avail.  Reading all of this makes me nervous about calling support. I’ve paid a bundle for the system. I’d be very disappointed to get the, “we’ll give you 30% of a replacement rehabbed one” response. If one out of six of these lasts less than 18 months, they should be selling these at Walmart for half the cost. 

Is there really nothing sonos will do? 

If you’re within warranty, Sonos will replace it free of charge. If the device is out of warranty, they often do something most companies don’t do, and offer you a discount on a replacement, if you purchase directly through them. 

Of course, Sonos has no way of knowing if there has been any issues in the power supplied to the speaker, which is probably why the warranty isn’t infinite. Any electrical device can fail, unfortunately, and more importantly, the computer components inside a Sonos. If it was ‘just’ a speaker, they could likely extend the warranty without concern. 

Just had my Sonos 1 die on me. I have a few others so unplugged them and swapped to see what the issue was and found the cable didn’t work either. Changed the fuse in the plug (this is something we can do in the UK) and the cable works. The unit doesn’t work the repaired cable or any other cables. 

Before you all start saying “surge”, this unit was plugged into a 4 way extension lead/cord. None of the other electronic items on the extension broke, just this one. I’m guessing something went wrong with the Sonos unit which blew the fuse in the cord, saving the rest of the items. The only thing different with this Sonos unit is that it was the one plugged into my router. I’ve had to plug another one for now.

Given my unit is maybe between 5 and 10 years old, do you think they’ll offer me 30% a new one? 😀

You could check your account at www.Sonos.com which would tell you. It’s hard for us to tell, though, since Sonos has not made a Sonos 1, just a Sonos PLAY:1, which is eligible for the upgrade, and a Sonos One, which is not. 

But calling in to Sonos is always the best bet, they’re the ones who can authorize a discount, not us members on these forums. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

This company is a joke. They sent me a way bill to send the speakers back along with the reply below.

May 31 

“Hello Sammy,
It is good to know, you got the email with the waybill, as soon we get the defective units, we are going to ship the new ones, also you will receive an email with the tracking information.
Best Regards,
Karen P”

I replied back saying thank you and both units are shipped out. 

June 4 I get the following reply.

“Hello Sammy,
Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Customer Experience. We hope this email finds you in good health. Thank you for letting us know. 
In your case, since the returned units are outside of the warranty period, what you will receive once they have been processed is a voucher for a 30% discount credit on sonos.com for each of the speakers.
These credits are open and can be used on one item each from all available at the store, so you can use them to replace your units directly or you can use them for a different kind of speaker if you prefer. The discount will apply to sets as well as they are qualified as a single item, but please keep in mind that if you use a voucher on a shopping cart that has more than one item listed the discount will be applied to the most expensive one only.  
Best regards”

I replied back with:

“Then why did you ask me to ship the speakers back to you? They already left 3 days ago.

As per the email below from Karen on May 31, 2022, 12:07 PM, she confirmed they are under warranty and I was getting a replacement. What has changed now?

Please see attached email and let me know”

and their reply today was this

Hello Sammy,
We understand that this might be frustrating and take part of your time.
I regret the last email from Ehirin on June 3, is correct, the defective unit warranty expires on June 24, 2021, and we are offering you a 30% discount code for the inconvenience. Once the defective units get to our warehouse the discounts will be released for your use.
Why the defective unit is requested to be sent?
This is part of our improvement process, our technicians have to study what fails and why to avoid this from happening again in future products.
Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and we thank you for your understanding on this matter. If you have other concerns, feel free to let us know.
All the best,
Shi Sing Y”

This company is a joke. I understand the speakers are outta of warranty and they could have said that from the second I called and ended this back and forth. I took a day off work just to send these speakers out. 

They wont warranty my speakers but they want them back for a study? I have almost 10 sonos speakers/products at my house and I will never ever buy another one. I will list what I have for sale and never recommend this garbage to anyone else.

Very disappointed.

Sorry for the rant, this is just ridiculous.

I personally would request the units back.

There are sellers of power supply parts etc and personal I'd be taking then to bits and repairing them (appreciate this is no for everyone).

To me it looks like Sonos have stolen your units!.

Same happened to mu sonos product. 

i purchased $2,000 worth of sonosh products last black friday directly from the site and now on of the speakers stopped working after 13 months. Just over a year and and now will i not be covered under warranty? 

i moved from boss just to try something new but have my boss speakers still working after 8 years still.. i will call sonos and see how they will handle it and let you guys know but no high hopes based on reading these posts. 

thanks 

kasra 

My Beam Gen 2 did that just a few days after using it 

Same here. Around 2 years of ownership and both of my One SL’s are dead. A 12 month warranty on a premium product is a joke.

Badge

I bought a sonos one sl 15 days ago. The equipment stopped working, it does not turn on.