Answered

Sonos MOVE won't connect to network AND won't enter bluetooth mode

• 20 March 2020
  • 14 replies

Sonos Move, new last Christmas, has always been a problem:  When initially set up, would be visible to some android controllers but not others.  Even when all are connected to same wifi network and/or same wifi network AP/ssid.

ONLY the Desktop app tells me to register the product.  Upon initial install and some subsequent factory reset operations, android app doesn’t ask me to register the ‘new product’.  This is very frustrating when you forget you have to register the Move on the desktop PC.

On most attempts to ‘find missing product’ or ‘install new product’, the operation fails, telling me there’s a problem connecting to the network that all devices are connected to.  On SOME attempts to ‘find missing’ or ‘install new’, android app suggests using bluetooth, and that has worked ONE time, but the Move is still not visible/controllable by all controllers.

NOW, the Move will not enter bluetooth mode and fails on every attempt to ‘find missing’ or ‘install new’, and yet, system info shows it as an installed device.

icon

Best answer by cycod3r 12 May 2020, 00:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Have you tried to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

I have this same issue. So far, not a good product at all. I had always heard Sonos had a lot of issues, but figured if I could get it to work the Move made sense as our outdoor speaker choice. I did a full reset.

1. Hold the power button for 60 seconds (yes 60. 5 is incorrect) until the unit powers off
  2. Hold the link button
  3. Place in the charge ring, continue to hold the link button until the light flashes white and orange alternately
  4. When the green light is flashing, load the app, and attempt to setup

Tried with the app on a phone and a tablet. Deleted and re-installed the app. Restarted my WiFi router.

Pushing the link button seemingly does nothing, pressing the mode button to switch to bluetooth does nothing. Just stays flashing green.

I know the buttons work because I use them to do the reset.

I know the unit’s internals are working because the app finds it and reports its serial number/mac address.

Just stuck in a loop.

Not at all acceptable for something that costs $400 to come out of the box behaving like this.

I’d suggest my previous post still stands as an outstanding way to resolve your issue. 

I’d suggest my previous post still stands as an outstanding way to resolve your issue. 

Yup going to give it a shot… but based on what I have found on the subject it is not a reasonably solvable issue. I have been told to prepare for my home network to be blamed even though literally everything else works just fine on it (I have a heavily automated house, etc.)

But I will still give it a shot. I will be reporting back (unless my post gets deleted again for voicing dissatisfaction.)

Just an update. Sonos support has been unhelpful as expected. I’m not going to continue to try resetting it and sending videos to prove I am doing it right (ridiculous) much longer. I was told they would get back to me, and surprise! Nobody has. I will give it until Monday and then i will be returning it, as anyone with this problem should.

Now they claim they couldn’t download the video from the link I provided.

I just downloaded it myself, watched it to make sure it wasn’t corrupt, and have re-uploaded it AGAIN.

Smh… “Support” can’t even use the internet lol

Great

It gets even better…

They just told me their systems are blocking the links the OFFICIAL Sonos Upload Center is providing me to give to them after uploading my video.

They keep giving me the same link to use to upload and keep telling me their systems have blocked it, use this link (and then provide me the same link.)

Wow. Ridiculous at this point.

So after spending a ridiculous amount of time, they admitted their support site is not working properly.

You don’t say?

But only after getting snarky and saying “we have no ability to change the network security settings of our IT infrastructure” accusing me of not following instructions when, I in fact, followed the instructions exactly but the “Sonos Upload Center” was supplying a link for me to email back to support that they could not access, and the uploads were not showing in their system.

So finally, after many hours of my time across several days, and being treated like an idiot, they approved RMA replacement.

It had better solve the problem.

So I would say Sonos is a do not buy based on their support alone which is only rivaled in failure, so far, by Comcast.

We will see if their customer service is any better; As in will the replacement work, or has support fed me a line about it being defective, and if so, what will they do about it.

I will post an update when I receive the replacement unit.

Cycod3r… I am also having issues with my Move not showing up on my controller. On hold with Sonos now to discuss the issue and not optimistic based on your experience :(. Basically I have a $400 paperweight on my desk right now. 

Cycod3r… I am also having issues with my Move not showing up on my controller. On hold with Sonos now to discuss the issue and not optimistic based on your experience :(. Basically I have a $400 paperweight on my desk right now. 

Ugh… yes it is so frustrating.

After talking with Sonos tech support they suggested I try disabling broadcast filtering on my network. This had no effect. 

Sonos technical support later informed told me there are “at least 4 known compatibility issues with Aruba access points” including “devices not showing up on the controller app” and “airgroup issues”.

I just spent a lot of money installing 8 Aruba Instant On access points throughout my house (Instant On AP11's and AP17’s) so it looks like I’ll be returning all my new Sonos speakers since there is no ETA for resolution of these known issues. 

If someone could manufacture WiFi speakers that work properly and function in groups that would be great, perhaps it’s asking too much! I have tried Alexa Echo’s, Apple Homepod, and Sonos now. The echos never worked great in groups, the Homepod isn’t very compatable with Spotify, and the Sonos don’t work with a very robust Aruba network. The search continues. 

After talking with Sonos tech support they suggested I try disabling broadcast filtering on my network. This had no effect. 

Sonos technical support later informed told me there are “at least 4 known compatibility issues with Aruba access points” including “devices not showing up on the controller app” and “airgroup issues”.

I just spent a lot of money installing 8 Aruba Instant On access points throughout my house (Instant On AP11's and AP17’s) so it looks like I’ll be returning all my new Sonos speakers since there is no ETA for resolution of these known issues. 

If someone could manufacture WiFi speakers that work properly and function in groups that would be great, perhaps it’s asking too much! I have tried Alexa Echo’s, Apple Homepod, and Sonos now. The echos never worked great in groups, the Homepod isn’t very compatable with Spotify, and the Sonos don’t work with a very robust Aruba network. The search continues. 

Yeah unfortunately HomePod works the best with every network.

The ONLY reason I went for the Sonos was for Airplay2 compatible AND weather proof... which Apple doesn’t have a weather proof product yet. 

If you research Sonos, they have a horrible horrible network software/firmware stack. They are really fragile as far as WiFi network stability,

As a hardware and software engineer that has worked in the audio and streaming industry for years, it really revs me up to deal with crap like this. It really is not that hard at all… at least it shouldn’t be for the types of engineers a company that sells a speaker for $400 should be able to hire. 

Corners are being cut. 80/20 rule. If support and RMA costs don’t put them out of business, it’s good enough to them.

It is hard to find a company that actually cares about their name more than their wallet.

Got the replacement. While I was able to pair it to my home network, the Sonos app does not work with it. Latest version, multiple iOS devices, uninstalled re-booted, re-installed.

Regardless, it is now usable as an airplay speaker, and I don’t have to deal with Sonos support any longer.

Shame it doesn’t work as intended with the app and only the bare minimum works, but good enough.

Was not worth the purchase or aggravation. Do not recommend.

Im having same issues adding Move to existing system. So frustrating! and phone support being closed on Sat is ridiculous for a premium product. spent 4 hours on this over w few days already. sucks.