Sonos kills wired network

• 26 January 2022
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 84 replies

My current set up is ISP modem (in bridge mode) to Google Wifi, to network switches.  I have ethernet throughout the house so I have a number of devices wired to the network.  This includes one Sonos Connect.  

The Connect seems to kill only the wired network.  I’ve done plenty of rebooting, unplugging, replugging, etc. If I leave the Connect off the wired network, everything seems fine.  If I plug it back in, anything with a wired connection eventually either loses network connection or fails over to WIFI.  WIFI still works fine.

I assume this is something to do with STP but I can’t change that setting in Googile or the switches.  Is there anything else I can try?

24 replies

Perhaps see if the suggestions mentioned in the below linked thread may help to solve your issue:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/troubleshooting-sonos-on-wifi-6856334?postid=16520976#post16520976

Userlevel 7

Wire your Connect to the main Google Wi-Fi node that connects to your ISP modem. That will properly create the SonosNet. If the Connect can be wired due to location then purchase a Sonos Boost. You will also need to unplug all Sonos before setting things up. Start setup with the Sonos product connected to your main Wi-Fi node.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Ken_Griffiths thanks for the link.  Unfortunately there wasn’t anything in there that helped. 

@AjTrek1 The Connect was wired to the main node but it went through a switch. 

Userlevel 7

@Ken_Griffiths thanks for the link.  Unfortunately there wasn’t anything in there that helped. 

@AjTrek1 The Connect was wired to the main node but it went through a switch. 

I assume you only have one available port which is why you used a switch. If that is the case the switch needs to be unmanaged; unless you know how to properly configure a managed switch.

You say the router is in bridge mode.  You might try putting it back into router mode, but turn off WiFi.  The only thing that should be wired to the ISP router is the primary Google device.  As others have said, the Connect needs to be wired to the primary Google device, or to an unmanaged switch connected to the Google device.

(I wouldn’t say I was optimistic about my suggestion but it should be fairly easy and quick to try.)

Is the Connect the only wired Sonos device?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks for all the comments. 

yes, the Google wifi only has one additional ethernet port. I am using an unmanaged switch. 

The Google wifi is the only thing connected to the ISP modem. 

The Connect is the only Sonos device that is wired.  I do have a Boost from my old house and I will see if that will work. I was just trying to keep devices to a minimum. 

Is wifi still on on the router? That needs to be off and that does not follow from being in bridge mode.

Is wifi still on on the router? That needs to be off and that does not follow from being in bridge mode.

It does actually. In bridge mode the modem can’t support any local clients. No NAT, no DHCP. There’s only a direct WAN connection. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Yes, wifi is off on the ISP router.  It acts as a modem only.

Yes, wifi is off on the ISP router.  It acts as a modem only.

I would just wire the Boost, as planned, to the main Nest Hub. Try SonosNet on a different channel in the Sonos App network settings and providing you have no portable Sonos devices (Move/Roam) also ensure that you do not have any WiFi credentials are stored in the Sonos ‘Settings/System/Network/Managed Networks’.

If you do have Sonos portable products, then I suggest putting those on the 5Ghz Band only (that’s if the Google Nest WiFi allows different SSID names for the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz bands).

Reserving the Sonos IP addresses in the Nest Routers DHCP reservation table is also worth considering.

To clarify the topology, is the Connect wired thusly? 

modem → Google primary node → switch → Connect

If so, what happens when you temporarily wire it like this:

modem → Google primary node → Connect → switch

(This is only for test purposes. The Connect’s ports are 10/100 only.)

And there really are no other Sonos wired devices?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So it turns out my Boost is old and S1 only.  I will try reserving sonos IPs in the Google wifi. 

@ratty yes, that is correct in the topology. I have not tried wiring the Connect before the switch because the switch is in my utility room and the connect is not.  

I might just leave the Sonos running on wifi. Everything is working fine this way. I just figured  using Sonosnet would be better for my overall network but maybe that’s just not the case here. 

I appreciate all the comments!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So it turns out my Boost is old and S1 only.  I will try reserving sonos IPs in the Google wifi. 

Boost can run on both S1 and S2. Do you actually have a Bridge, which is S1 only?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

No, it is a Boost. When I plugged it in, it said it was incompatible 

As @controlav states, if it is indeed a BOOST, it can be updated to S2. The older BRIDGE, which looks somewhat similar, can not be updated, and will only run S1.

Maybe the Boost needs updating… Anyhow, here is something that should assist to clarify the type of device:

Or just look in Settings/System/About. A Boost says … “Boost”

I thought it was incompatible and didn’t get setup?

I thought it was incompatible and didn’t get setup?

Oh, right. In that case just read the writing on the underside? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It is a Boost. There is no option available to update it. It shows up in the app and say “incompatible”. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Ok, so I got the boost updated. I checked the system update screen which I haven’t looked at in ages and that did it.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I now have the Boost running, and since the Boost is in the furnace room - not a great location for wifi devices - I tried wiring the Connect into the Boost rather than the switch.  So far everything seems to be working. I now see that all my Sonos devices say “Wired connection”  in my Google wifi app, regardless of if they are actually wired or not. I don’t think it said that before. 

I’m not sure why the Connect killed our network when wired to the switch and but works fine wired to the Boost, but I’ll take it.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So my success was short-lived.  After a day or two of having the Connect wired to the Boost, the network went down again.  So I tried running just the Boost wired, and after a few days, the network went down again.  

I will try running all Sonos products on wifi for a while and see if the network drops again to make sure it is the Sonos causing it and not something else