Skip to main content

Sonos is forcing people to buy new hardware as they've broken the Connect:Amp and they refuse to fix it

• 31 December 2023
  • 290 replies

Hi,

I'm recreating this thread, as the discussion wasn't finished, but it was locked. I also wanted to make it obvious this is a Sonos issue, not a client environment issue.

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/connect-amp-keeps-dropping-out-audio-6885634/index2.html

I've been following this for a while because I've been having the same issues, and when I spoke to support they said the connect amp can't cope with modern software and that I should upgrade to the amp, which is clearly unacceptable.

This has been confirmed by people in that original thread who have been told the same thing.

BillJanzen

“FWIW, these issues seem to have occured after the June 2023 software update to S2 version 15.5. Interestingly, there is an alert posted in the release notes of the 15.6 update released July 25, 2023 about adjusting how older Sonos products use their internal memory. See below (copied from https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2):  Alerts:      With this update, we’ve adjusted how some of our older Sonos products are using their internal memory. Because of this change, updates for Play:1, Play:3, Boost, Connect, Connect:Amp, and Sub (Gen 1 and 2) will take longer to complete than before. The reset process for these products will also take more time to complete after this update.”

BillJanzen

“We continue to have intermittent drop-outs on all 4 of our Connect:Amp devices, so here’s my update after 1.5 hours on the phone with Sonos today. They said the diagnostics for one of the Connect:Amp devices the chose to investigate showed multiple major alerts, including:      Cannot allocate memory to full status     Write failed     Player crashed: out of memory     OOM Killer  These items all sound like they are related to memory issues with the older Connect:Amp product, as Big Bull mentioned in his previous post.”

Big Bull:

“Ok latest is I powered down 3 of my 4 units and just had the one I use most running hard wired to the router through my switch and it still gave dropouts so I sent 2 diagnostics to Sonos and they said : 

------------------ 

Thanks, so on this one in specific I can see the audio interruptions are caused because the product basically is old, and it is reaching its capabilities, there are some things that can be done to try to reduce the impact of this, but if it continues this product will need to be replaced with the upgrade program. 

------------------- 

I am being advised to replace any affected units with the Sonos Amp which can be costly.”

Birchan

“  Same problem, 4 AMP of which two lose sound...  SONOS did a wrong analysis and accidentally said that there were memory failures in some of the units. But since they only give a 2-year warranty, mine was 2.5 years too old. How can SONOS sell products that obviously have manufacturing problems and then say that they can replace them with a 30% discount on new ones? Wonder if Tesla would sell cars that stop working after 2 years and say, sorry you have to buy a new car every two years because the warranty has expired. So bad from SONOS so I will be discontinuing my SONOS system and switching to BOSE...  “

For context, in my situation I have a connect amp, connected via ethernet with WiFi off, and I started to get regular drop outs around June. It's incredibly annoying, the audio will drop out for a few seconds before continuing, if other speakers are grouped they will carry on fine.

It's absolutely 100% not a network issue. When I was debugging it, I briefly made the connect amp the only wired device and turned on WiFi, and other speakers in my house worked perfectly at all times. I've also reserved IP addresses, and I ran a ping monitor on it to check for any network dropouts. There were none. I've put the system back now, so the connect amp has its WiFi off.

So it seems to me that Sonos have released a firmware update that the connect amp cannot handle, and rather than take responsibility for it, they're just fobbing people off telling them to buy expensive new hardware to solve the problem, not even with any substantial discount. It's unacceptable. This connect amp worked perfectly before June.

Sonos needs to release a new update that solves the issue, or give people affected substantial discounts on replacement amps, and formally announce that the connect amp is end of life. Currently people with issues on this forum are being unintentionally gaslighted by well meaning people who don't know that this issue exists. Sonos cannot say the connect amp is supported when they've released a broken update.

People need to know about this issue, I've seen loads of topics about this issue and people get fobbed off with network issues, which is absolutely not the case, at all. Big Bull proved this by doing a replacement to amps which solved his issue.

290 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Pretty ridiculous that something manufactured seven years ago is now obsolete. And made obsolete by its manufacturer’s own firmware/software updates which add zero functionality. 

What’s worse is that the only fix for this (a rollback to S1) has been deliberately removed by Sonos. 

Despicable behaviour and symptomatic of disposable culture at its worst. 

Hi,

I'm recreating this thread, as the discussion wasn't finished, but it was locked. I also wanted to make it obvious this is a Sonos issue, not a client environment issue.

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-and-architectural-228999/connect-amp-keeps-dropping-out-audio-6885634/index2.html

I've been following this for a while because I've been having the same issues, and when I spoke to support they said the connect amp can't cope with modern software and that I should upgrade to the amp, which is clearly unacceptable.

This has been confirmed by people in that original thread who have been told the same thing.

BillJanzen

“FWIW, these issues seem to have occured after the June 2023 software update to S2 version 15.5. Interestingly, there is an alert posted in the release notes of the 15.6 update released July 25, 2023 about adjusting how older Sonos products use their internal memory. See below (copied from https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2):  Alerts:      With this update, we’ve adjusted how some of our older Sonos products are using their internal memory. Because of this change, updates for Play:1, Play:3, Boost, Connect, Connect:Amp, and Sub (Gen 1 and 2) will take longer to complete than before. The reset process for these products will also take more time to complete after this update.”

BillJanzen

“We continue to have intermittent drop-outs on all 4 of our Connect:Amp devices, so here’s my update after 1.5 hours on the phone with Sonos today. They said the diagnostics for one of the Connect:Amp devices the chose to investigate showed multiple major alerts, including:      Cannot allocate memory to full status     Write failed     Player crashed: out of memory     OOM Killer  These items all sound like they are related to memory issues with the older Connect:Amp product, as Big Bull mentioned in his previous post.”

Big Bull:

“Ok latest is I powered down 3 of my 4 units and just had the one I use most running hard wired to the router through my switch and it still gave dropouts so I sent 2 diagnostics to Sonos and they said : 

------------------ 

Thanks, so on this one in specific I can see the audio interruptions are caused because the product basically is old, and it is reaching its capabilities, there are some things that can be done to try to reduce the impact of this, but if it continues this product will need to be replaced with the upgrade program. 

------------------- 

I am being advised to replace any affected units with the Sonos Amp which can be costly.”

Birchan

“  Same problem, 4 AMP of which two lose sound...  SONOS did a wrong analysis and accidentally said that there were memory failures in some of the units. But since they only give a 2-year warranty, mine was 2.5 years too old. How can SONOS sell products that obviously have manufacturing problems and then say that they can replace them with a 30% discount on new ones? Wonder if Tesla would sell cars that stop working after 2 years and say, sorry you have to buy a new car every two years because the warranty has expired. So bad from SONOS so I will be discontinuing my SONOS system and switching to BOSE...  “

For context, in my situation I have a connect amp, connected via ethernet with WiFi off, and I started to get regular drop outs around June. It's incredibly annoying, the audio will drop out for a few seconds before continuing, if other speakers are grouped they will carry on fine.

It's absolutely 100% not a network issue. When I was debugging it, I briefly made the connect amp the only wired device and turned on WiFi, and other speakers in my house worked perfectly at all times. I've also reserved IP addresses, and I ran a ping monitor on it to check for any network dropouts. There were none. I've put the system back now, so the connect amp has its WiFi off.

So it seems to me that Sonos have released a firmware update that the connect amp cannot handle, and rather than take responsibility for it, they're just fobbing people off telling them to buy expensive new hardware to solve the problem, not even with any substantial discount. It's unacceptable. This connect amp worked perfectly before June.

Sonos needs to release a new update that solves the issue, or give people affected substantial discounts on replacement amps, and formally announce that the connect amp is end of life. Currently people with issues on this forum are being unintentionally gaslighted by well meaning people who don't know that this issue exists. Sonos cannot say the connect amp is supported when they've released a broken update.

People need to know about this issue, I've seen loads of topics about this issue and people get fobbed off with network issues, which is absolutely not the case, at all. Big Bull proved this by doing a replacement to amps which solved his issue.

It is a complete disgrace - 6 years of use is not enough time to be offered just a 15% upgrade program for changing to new. I will now never buy Sonos products again and will be advising everyone I know not too - there are plenty of better speaker products on the market

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Apart from this (hopefully temporary) episode, define “better”.

Seriously a definition in terms of “better” speakers here are just a few  - Bang and Olufsen Level, Emerge & Beosound, Sony Altavoz, Ra3000 and ULT speakers, Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex, Kef LS50 

This isn’t temporary - it is a Sonos plan to force people to upgrade unnecessarily 

Hi,

BillJanzen

BillJanzen

Big Bull:

------------------ 

------------------- 

Birchan

It is a complete disgrace - 6 years of use is not enough time to be offered just a 15% upgrade program for changing to new. I will now never buy Sonos products again and will be advising everyone I know not too - there are plenty of better speaker products on the market

SONOS used to be a great company, driven by bright innovators always keeping the customer in mind. Now SONOS seems to be driven by investors, pushing the development team to "optimize" short term profit. So again, sales people sell dreams, support engineers fix (or try to fix) nightmares.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Seriously a definition in terms of “better” speakers here are just a few  - Bang and Olufsen Level, Emerge & Beosound, Sony Altavoz, Ra3000 and ULT speakers, Bowers & Wilkins Formation Flex, Kef LS50 

This isn’t temporary - it is a Sonos plan to force people to upgrade unnecessarily 

And, to that list you can add the most obvious alternative, NAD and Bluesound. 

Sonos CEO Patrick Spence commented, “We are pleased to report first quarter revenue of $612.9 million and Adjusted EBITDA of $115.2 million. Despite the challenging environment, we are winning in the market and outperforming the competition.”

Mr. Spence continued, “We are just months away from announcing our highly anticipated new product in a multi-billion dollar category, which will be the first major milestone of our multi-year product cycle. Our full attention is dedicated to successfully executing on our plan and positioning our business to return to top and bottom line growth. Great things are happening here at Sonos and the best is yet to come.”

No comment ...

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Corry P Any update? This thread is now 6 months old, the thread that was closed that this linked to is 9 months old. The issue still exists. What is Sonos doing about it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @britcowboy 

Thanks for bringing this back to my attention.

We now consider this issue to be largely resolved, and any remaining cases are being dealt with on an individual basis. If you still encounter the issue described here, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @britcowboy 

Thanks for bringing this back to my attention.

We now consider this issue to be largely resolved, and any remaining cases are being dealt with on an individual basis. If you still encounter the issue described here, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Hi.  I’ve commented a few times here as my connect amps had the drop out issue.  (I had them on smart switches to shut down for a few hours every night to reset, which most of the time meant they behaved properly).  The new system has indeed solved the problem (and smart switches removed and back somewhere else.)  Of course now there are many other problems (and the app rollout has been unfathomably poorly managed) which hopefully will be resolved soon.

Userlevel 1
Badge

My connect aMo only started dropping out of a group and just dropping sound when it was not grouped when I was forced to update my Sonos app in May 2024. I have tried numerous suggested fixes, but nothing work. Add me to the list of pissed off users with a broken Connect amp. 

What did Sonos Support say, when you called them directly to discuss it?

FYI, I’ve given up.  I’ve purchased a much less expensive WiiM Pro streamer and removed the Sonos Connect from my home system.  Luckily I’m not heavily invested in the Sonos ecosystem save for some older Sonos One speakers, which I’m fine ditching.  The WiiM works perfectly for streaming from my phone or laptop to my multi-room audio amplifier.

Good luck with anyone else still experiencing this.  I’m out...

Well happened here too, an update just bricked my Connect Amp. Once I play anything, orange and white flashing light. Now the kicker, I can’t downgrade using the current app software to successfully go to S1 to have it at least functioning like others posted. Support simply just offered to send it in for a coupon. I don’t want a coupon, I need a working device without costing me $400 to replace it with the next gen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Edited as misread the post…