Sonos Connect - cannot factory reset (flashing orange-white, never green)

• 2 November 2022
  • 56 replies

Hi,

I hope you can help me reset my Sonos Connect.

After applying power with the pause button depressed, then releasing the pause button after about 15 seconds:

• the led flashes white/orange forever
  • the led does not transition to green.
  • the network port (cable connected) flashes so the switch and network is working.

I have tried other combinations many times without success.

Any ideas please?  

Thanks

Rich

56 replies

Am thinking the recommended factory reset made it impossible to fix 

The Connect is showing up as Not Connected o the Xfinity Devices tab.

All of my other Sonos devised are connected to my Wi Fi wirelessly, I removed the Sonos Boost which was the only wired connection.

If none of the units is wired, SonosNet is disabled and the units will switch to WiFi. But, they’ll need the WiFi credentials. Your Factory Reset CONNECT will become a problem because it no longer has the WiFi credentials.

Overall, I’m suspecting hardware issues with CONNECT.

The best plan would be to Factory Reset CONNECT so that we have a known starting point, wire one of the other units and CONNECT to the network, then add CONNECT as a new unit. Before disconnecting the network connections make sure that the WiFi credentials are correct.

When I factory reset the Connect, it is getting stuck on the flashing orange and never turning to Green.

by the way, thank you for taking the time and making suggestions, I appreciate your help.

More evidence suggesting a hardware issue. While not a fix, simply powering down the unit for a couple days might allow it to Factory Reset. This is more proof that there is a hardware issue. If there is a temperature issue, the “cooling off” might help, but only till the unit warms again.

The hardware failure could be vexing. Let’s postulate that a section of memory fails at a certain temperature. Factory Reset and update moves lots of stuff around in memory -- increasing the risk of stumbling over the intermittent section. If the Factory Reset and any updates are successful, and the bad memory is now not in use, the unit could continue working for a while -- until there is an attempt to use that bad section. This could be days, weeks, or months from now, long after you’ve disconnected your brain from this current problem. Then you’ll start looking for a seemingly unrelated problem because this problem was “fixed” long ago.

Yes, like @buzz mentions, I would switch it off and put it somewhere cold, but dry and then give the factory reset procedure another go when the Connect is really cold. You never know it might just spring back to life - just need that green-go-light to show up for adding it back to your system.

gave it a try, did not work. thank you for all the support.

Something is strange here . Too many people having similar issue around the same time . Even if product is old, they shouldn't all fail at the same time . Probabilty ia low that everybody reports exactly the same symptoms. 
I will contact Sonos and talk to a lawyer as well.

Keep us posted. 

Absolutely - just had the same issue on a previously perfectly-working Connect:Gen2 !

Absolutely - just had the same issue on a previously perfectly-working Connect:Gen2 !

Here’s the LINK to CS - see what they suggest.

I have the same issue.  Went away for 2 weeks (with the Connect:Amp plugged in and on), but upon my return it did not work.   Same issue as OP and others above.

I have 4 Connect:Amp devices, and the other 3 work fine.  All are hardwired with Ethernet.

Factory reset was not helpful - I can get to the point where it asks to press the button (which I do with all of my might), but with no positive result.

I am not sure what to do, now that I have 3 working Connect:Amp devices and one broken one.  I suppose I could buy another one (used on eBay or something). 

It does seem like a lot of us are having this problem all of a sudden, but again we are a self-selecting group.

If anyone makes any headway, please keep this group posted.

Mother nature is never fair. At some point all electronics will fail. Failures tend to be age related and the failure signature will change with age. Large service centers become familiar with a given model’s failure signature(s). If you simply give a model number, the center can likely describe your symptoms. If production control on model XYZ is very tight, all or most XYZ’s will fail at approximately the same time. This failure could occur after a few days, weeks, or decades. Warranties are designed to protect the user from manufacturing defects that will show up in the early weeks. It is possible to design units that have an expected life of decades, but these units cost more than a few hundred dollars.

I’m aware of a high quality speaker design that suddenly started experiencing problems. A driver would simply fall apart. This was new production. Production from years past was not having issues. Worse, the replacement part would fall apart in shipment. It took a few weeks to shake this out, but the failure was ultimately traced to units assembled over a three day period by one individual on the production line. Naturally, customers were annoyed, but protected by the warranty.

If you think that a unit has failed too soon, it pays to check with the manufacturer because there may be a known issue that affected one batch of product and the manufacturer might extend the warranty on that batch.

Hey Buzz,

I don’t think that it failed too fast, per se.  I just think it’s curious that so many of the same model had reported failures around the same time.  It’s not really a question of philosophy, nor of the lifecycle of electronics.  The real question is whether the failed unit can be resurrected or not (and if so, the steps to do so).  I think that’s the only question that the owners of these failed devices have.

Hey Buzz,

I don’t think that it failed too fast, per se.  I just think it’s curious that so many of the same model had reported failures around the same time.  

To some extent this is a hospital. Here, “everyone” is sick. Unfortunately, we don’t have enough data to declare that xx% of the units have or will fail with this issue at this point in the unit’s life. With a large complex device, such as an automobile, an ideal product characteristic would be that all subassemblies would turn to dust on the same day. This would save the owner from experiencing an ever increasing string of more and more expensive repairs until ultimately deciding that no more attempts should be made to support the remaining usable parts.

As much as I respect the opinions provided, it’s a binary question.  Can a failed unit be made to work again?  That’s it; none of the other hand wringing or pontificating has any practical application.  Thus far it appears that the answer to the question is no.  There has not (yet) been a remedy discovered.

Bottom line: There are no user remedies beyond reboot or Factory Reset. The cold Factory Reset has helped a few users for an unknown period. SONOS does not repair units or provide any repair documentation.

There are a few 3rd party repair agents in Europe that could likely repair the unit. If you are a DIY, there may be some discussions about this issue, however, replacing memory will require surface mount soldering skills.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No help for your dead unit but as we have iffy power here I plug every Sonos into a good quality surge suppressor. Plug a lot of other stuff into them too, not just a Sonos issue!

I’ve had very good luck with Trip_lite units over many years, just buy based on the specs, not looks or price. Amazon links here but you might find better prices elsewhere.

Four to eight outlets, these are my gold standard, had a couple burn their inner parts to ash absorbing a surge, the plugged in devices survived. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005119M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nice for Play 1s, 3s and Ones, small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B81E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Compact and higher rated than the small one above.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000510R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Really low rating, I’d get something better.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-INSURANCE-TLP6B/dp/B006KAP4AK?ref_=ast_sto_dp

My Sonos Connect (2015) does not show what version it is S1 or S2. When I try S1 Android software it cannot recognize Sonos. When I try S2 software it finds Sonos but cannot connect Sonos to wi-fi. At the stage to connect to SONOS wi-fi it stops recognizing device. Is there some way to find out what S version it is?

My Sonos Connect (2015) does not show what version it is S1 or S2. When I try S1 Android software it cannot recognize Sonos. When I try S2 software it finds Sonos but cannot connect Sonos to wi-fi. At the stage to connect to SONOS wi-fi it stops recognizing device. Is there some way to find out what S version it is?

Try looking in the "system tab" in your online Sonos account, it should identify the version there. As a bit of a general rule anything older than March 2015 is Gen-1 (S1 App only)

I just got my Sonos Play gen 1 to go from forever flashing orange to green by plugging it in through an ethernet cable. It’s back up now. Maybe this can help someone who got stuck on their factory reset. Or maybe it’s ot, and not at all applicable to the Connect product? If so, please disregard this post. 

Having the same issue. Was out of the office over the weekend and came back and it was flashing white. Tried to factory reset and now flashing amber and white. Tried everything I can think of and suggested online. No green light :(

Factory reset is almost never, ever the answer to the vast majority of issues that you might run into. As the previous poster suggested, connecting with an Ethernet cable, even temporarily, helps reconnect.

Now that you’ve factory reset, you should deal with this as if it’s a new device. Easiest is to follow the recommendation to connect it temporarily with an Ethernet cable, then use the ‘add a device’ function in the mobile controller. 

Its worked for me every time I’ve had an unusual issue with my Sonos equipment. I have already done everything stated here and some.

I have dealt with it as a new device and no joy. I appreciate your input but this isn't my first rodeo with Sonos stuff. I just wanted to voice that its happened to me as well with no resolution.

Thanks!

Factory reset is almost never, ever the answer to the vast majority of issues that you might run into. As the previous poster suggested, connecting with an Ethernet cable, even temporarily, helps reconnect.

Now that you’ve factory reset, you should deal with this as if it’s a new device. Easiest is to follow the recommendation to connect it temporarily with an Ethernet cable, then use the ‘add a device’ function in the mobile controller. 

Then I’d suggest that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.