Sonos Connect - cannot factory reset (flashing orange-white, never green)

• 2 November 2022
  • 56 replies

Hi,

I hope you can help me reset my Sonos Connect.

After applying power with the pause button depressed, then releasing the pause button after about 15 seconds:

• the led flashes white/orange forever
  • the led does not transition to green.
  • the network port (cable connected) flashes so the switch and network is working.

I have tried other combinations many times without success.

Any ideas please?  

Thanks

Rich

56 replies

Hi.  Failure to factory reset normally indicates a hardware failure.  What is the back story here?  Why are you trying to reset the device?

Thank you for you fast reply!

After running successfully for two years, the Connect was powered down for 3 weeks while I was away. 

When I returned the Connect powered up only to the stage of having a flashing white LED.    The Sonos app could not see the Connect to bring it into the Sonos system.

I tried a factory reset that did not result in a flashing orange-white but never a permanent green LED.

Interestingly, the Connect often transmitted an SSID for a connection, and the Sonos app did sometimes see the Connect, to connect to it, but the remainder of that installation frose at that point (the Sonos app did not progress with the installation).

So I tried more factory resets that failed (flaashing white-orange but no green led)

I think the Connect might have a corrupted OS-Software. 

- Is there a way to write the a base load software directly to the Connect?
 - is there a way to debug a Connect that does not factory reset?

I feel like the hardware is OK, but the software might be corrupted.   I don’t want to be forced into buying a new box for this simple prioblem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

As a test, wire the CONNECT to the LAN.

In general, Factory Reset complicates issues.

When you wire to the LAN, lack of or erratic port lights indicates hardware failure.

Thank you for your help,

The Connect is connected to the LAN and the port lights are flashing as per normal.

Still no reset ….

I have exactly the same issue, was any fix found?

Same issue. Sonos Connect working fine. Gone for 3ish weeks, when I come back app can not detect and can not factory reset. Nothing here ?

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

This is suspicious, could Sonos have deliberately sabotaged the Sonos Connect, or made a mistake in the software update? I also have the same problem here.

I have had contact with Sonos Support and conclusion was: device is dead, that’s what orange-white flashing light after factory reset means.

More likely caused by the Illuminati. 

I am having this exact issue as well. I had this connect in storage for over a year. Pull it out, plug it in, orange and white flashing, never goes green. I see it on the network, but can’t connect to it. Factory reset does nothing. Nothing about the network or set up has changed. It was just in storage. 

What did Sonos support say about it, when you called in?

Exact same issue here. According to this post 

my Connect’s manufacturing date is August 2015. I’m trying to downgrade to S1 without succes. In the middle of the process my Connect doesn’t seem to be able to connect to my home network, neither by wifi nor by ethernet cable. In the ethernet connected case, I see a steady green LED and a blinking yellow LED on the ethernet port.

So, what did Sonos Support say, when you contacted them?

They told me that unfortunately my Connect is broken and not repairable. I could start an RMA procedure. I‘d need to send back my Connect in order to get a 30% discount on a new device.

Same issue. I can get all the way to this screen with my connect amp but the flashing light never goes green this is where everthing dead ends as a result. Did everyone give up on this issue?

There has to be a fix somehow.

Userlevel 2

I have exactly the same fault with mine? Stuck on flashing Orange/White after reset never goes green. Just happened this week - all other SONOS devices functioning correctly. There must be a rabbit away somewhere.. will call SONOS support tomorrow and see what they say.

Any fix? Flashing orange and white, it never turns green....

Same exact issue as shared by many others , Sonos Connect flashing orange.

This cant be a coincidence with this many incidents , must be a known issue, 

I understand my Connect is from 2015,  but still should not go dead….or Sonos should be clear upfront that their products last 4-6 years. Am not interested in buying something else that will die in 4-6 years.

Same exact issue as shared by many others , Sonos Connect flashing orange.

This cant be a coincidence with this many incidents , must be a known issue, 

I understand my Connect is from 2015,  but still should not go dead….or Sonos should be clear upfront that their products last 4-6 years. Am not interested in buying something else that will die in 4-6 years.

I have a CONNECT from 2010 that is still working. This community is similar to a hospital -- after a quick walkthrough you might jump to the conclusion that “everyone” is sick. We don’t know what the ultimate life of these units will be. For any manufacturer’s product a few fail on day one and along the way. In the 8-10yr range the failure rate will start creeping up. Lots of original 2005 units are still functional. Each product has an age related characteristic failure. If you go to a large service center with a broken product, as soon as they know the model number, before you speak, they likely know the issue. This doesn’t mean that all units will fail, only that when they do fail, they tend to follow a pattern.

I contacted Sonos Support, got a case number. I was told the network card on the Connect is no longer compatible and can not connect to my wifi. They offered a 30% discount towards a new item. Knowing the Connect replacement has been out for 3 years, not sure its worth buying.

I am a Sonos fan and customer, with 10 Sonos products in my household, I understand technology can age. Time to go back to all analog, and only get a streamer that can be replaced every 4 years.

That’s curious. My 2010 CONNECT is wirelessly connecting via WiFi. Describe your WiFi hardware for us. CONNECT’s use some older WiFi standards that some WiFi access points block by default. If you can configure your router, make sure that “b/c compatibility” is enabled. Note that some routers do a bad job of this and will slowdown overall throughput.

my wi/fi set up is pretty straight forward, its an Xfinity wireless router,  

everything including my current Sonos system with multiple speakers and Boost work well , the only thing that can not connect is the Sonos Connect.

my wi/fi set up is pretty straight forward, its an Xfinity wireless router,  

everything including my current Sonos system with multiple speakers and Boost work well , the only thing that can not connect is the Sonos Connect.

Maybe see if this will work for you which I found in a search for your router…

Xfinity Router

1. Navigate to https://internet.xfinity.com/
  2. Sign in with your Xfinity xFi account
  3. Once logged in, click the Devices or Connect tab, then click on the Paused Sonos device
  4. On the following page, click on the Unpaused Device button
  5. Click on Apply Changes to complete the unblocking process of the device
  6. Repeat for each Paused Sonos device
  7. Once completed, the Sonos Player(s) will be able to connect, register, update, or stream. You may need to reboot the affected Sonos component(s)

If one or more of your SONOS units is wired to the XFINITY Gateway, you are using SonosNet and SONOS will be ignoring the WiFi. The Gateway will be aware of the SONOS units, but will not be providing wireless support. In any case you should reserve IP addresses in the Gateway.

The Connect is showing up as Not Connected o the Xfinity Devices tab.

All of my other Sonos devised are connected to my Wi Fi wirelessly, I removed the Sonos Boost which was the only wired connection.