Answered

Sonos App doesn't find existing system.

Userlevel 2

Hi there,

I am so fed up with your buggy systems I can't even describe the level of frustration. I am using the latest version of the app on Android as of now and for no apparent reason the app does not recognize the set up system anymore (my wife's phone and app does and works no problem). I tried to reconnect to the system but says it doesn't find any devices on the network (which obviously isn't true - see screenshot)

I am sitting next to a Sonos One and following instructions on how to reconnect pressing button on the back - but no doesn't find the system sitting right next to it.

I don't want to go through the process of reinstalling the app and setting up the whole system again for the x time - it costs half an hour each time and at the price of your products we should be able to expect that you can employee at least one software engineer and one app developer that can create a better experience than a 10 year old hobby programmer with the attention span of a humming bird could.

Rant = off

Do you have any solutions to offer that are not requiring me to reset the system completely?

Moderator note: We updated this article in October 2023 with new information below.

If you are experiencing this issue and your controller won't connect to you existing Sonos System please have a look at this support article and follow the steps.

If your Sonos app still won’t connect after following the steps in the article, please contact Sonos Customer Care for further help.

icon

Best answer by Konstantin79 25 July 2020, 16:32

View original

75 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Konstantin79.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I would like to suggest the following option to possibly get Sonos running on your Google Mesh system.Try calling the manufacturer to seek assistance in getting your Google mesh running on bridge mode/access point mode. This configuration disables the Google Mesh system from Generating their own IP-address individually. Instead, the main router where the main Google Mesh is connected to will be the only networking device to generate and distribute the IP-address. This allows both local communication between devices and internet connectivity. This topic which was created by one of our members here in the community explains in a more in-depth description of situations with morethan 1 router which also includes mesh systems.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 2

What are you talking about Paul? I. Having the same issue. Why should I have to call anyone besides Sonos that has failed its customer by not creating a compatible system? I've had nothing but problems with this bugged filled, complicated software. Every time I get the courage to attempt to use it, I quit in frustration after wasting too much time, caught in an endless cycle that never resolves the problem.  This is the most non user friendly, complicated junk I've ever used.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the answer even though just a deflection and nothing to do with the problem at hand - the mesh network couldn't be the problem since the overall system is still working via my partners phone (as described). Just the app on my phone lost the system and wouldn't reconnect. I found a solution that worked: I disconnected the TV from the Sonos Beam (which is 1 of 3 Sonos devices in the house and connected by cable). The moment I disconnected the TV the app was able to reaquire the system that was setup already... I tried following the instructions before with both Sonos One and Beam before doing this without success. Maybe you can share that with the intern responsible for your app as a hint for troubleshooting…

Sorry I know you are working the forum and it's not in your control but please share with the product team so they can make some much needed improvements.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @SonosIsGarbage2.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. 

Are you having the same issue with the original poster? We also need to know what type of Sonos system and network component that you’re currently using. The reason I ask is because my reply was solely addressed to the original poster based on his Sonos system and network. I would like to know what seems to be the issue? What Sonos devices do you have and what issue/ concern you have that I may help you with.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Konstantin79.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

I would like to ask and confirm, does everything work now on both Sonos controllers (mobile devices)? I would be morethan happy to send this to our engineering team to take a look into.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

I use an iPhone and have a couple of Sonos One and an IKEA Symfonisk and have the same problem. The Sonos app can’t connect to the Sonos system all of a sudden. Everything else works fine (ie no problem with the router or internet) and I can listen to the latest played radio if I turn on any of my Sonos devices manually ie via the play button. But trying to change via voice I get a response from google assistant saying there seems to be a problem. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Lalin.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would suggest trying to go through these guides.

• Here is a guide on how to fix Rooms missing from the Sonos app.
  • Here is also another guide on how to connect Sonos to a new router.
  • Another guide I would like to suggest is cannot connect to Sonos prompt on the Sonos App.
  • I would also suggest connecting one Sonos device to the router to generate Sonos Wifi and then the rest of the Sonos devices should be wireless.
  • Connect the Sonos device first via ethernet cable to the router then plug it into power.
  • Once the Sonos device that you connected to the router has a solid white light, reboot the rest of the wirelessly connected Sonos device. (unplug them from power and plug them back after 10-15 secs)

Please let me know how it goes. Here in the community, we are always here to help.

Thanks,

I’m having a similar issue with my wife’s phone. My phone, iPad and computer all work fine but her brand new iPhone cannot connect at all. All it does is just spin and says it cannot find the existing system. She’s removed the app several times and still no luck any advise on what to do with her device as there’s obviously nothing wrong with the existing system. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @andrewmmccallum.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I know how confusing it can be that other mobile controller works with Sonos but not your wife’s mobile device. Let me help you out with that.

I would like to recommend the following steps.

1. Can we try to check (your wife’s iPhone and your Phone) if they are both connected to the same WiFi name. If they are not, please make sure they are connected to the same WIFi name. It may help if we move a little bit closer to a Sonos product while we turn off and turn on the Wifi connectivity on your wife’s iPhone.
  2. Close the mobile data connection on your Wife’s iPhone and restart the mobile device by turning it off and turning it back on. Let’s move a little closer to your Sonos device.
  3. Once your wife’s iPhone is turned back on and you are close to one of your Sonos product, turn on the WiFi connection of your wife’s iPhone (keep mobile data off) and connect to the same WiFi name your phone is connected to.
  4. Open the Sonos App and tap on connect to the existing system.

If the above recommendation does not work, I would like to ask if we can submit a diagnostic from your working Sonos App so we can check what is going on. I would also like to ask if we can provide some details about your network to be able to understand your network layout.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,

Hi,

I was having the same issue with my wife’s iPhone (my phone works fine). Not sure why this setting on her phone changed - but what resolved the issue was going to setting>privacy>Local Network - and flipping the Sonos to “allow” or “on”. 

No issues logging on or with the app connecting after this (so far today). 

I’m having the exact same issue. Trying to connect to an existing network (play 1 + symfonisk) with my new macbook air. My iPhone and other computers are/have all connected fine. The new computer can connect to the sonos via the Spotify app but not through the actual Sonos app. Sonos app itself just doesn’t see it at all. Unbelievable. Can’t believe how many issues I’ve had with this system throughout my ownership.

What router do you have?

I am having the same issue with Move.  I have had Sonos products since generation 1 and the software has always been finicky.  I recently upgraded to a Move and now I am having a severe problem of not recognizing.   I agree completely with others on this string that my frustration is beyond a breaking point.  I can handle an occasional re-boot or doing the basics like restarting a router, etc.  But this major problem of just completely disappearing and not recognizing despite no changes to my system is tough to handle.  I was going to buy one of the new products that just came out but I refuse to spend another penny on Sonos until their software systems improve.

What is going on?!!! Trying to connect existing system to new Google Mesh/Nest Wifi and will not budge. Will not recognise any devices or system. Have tried all the suggestions and to no avail. Have spent thousands on this gear and is useless. Please help with any advice.

Userlevel 2

Just have to say…I’ve been in love with your products for like 25+ years and an advocate.  But honestly, since you made this move of versions along with killing all support for previous products, your entire system is a total mess.  What worked beautifully without a hitch for years is now a nightmare.

I say this after breaking down and spending ridiculous amounts rebuying ‘new generation products’ even though the old ones worked great.  Ever since, your entire system is totally flaky - period!  
‘The setup is excruciating and took me hours and many retries to get it going. The new systems can’t manage both wired and wireless even though all devices are on the same network!  
So after tons of frustration, I finally got everything connected and working.  Since that point, twice now, the system loses its setup and the app goes into “I can’t find your devices, so LET’S FIX IT”, and the whole nightmare starts all over again.  Your product and Software team needs to take a serious look in the mirror, acknowledge, and fix the mess.  I guarantee you are losing loyal customers every minute and people who once were advocates would now never recommend your products to a friend. Such a shame!

I am happy to correspond with anyone who wants to get the straight scoop.  Oh and by the way, I’m an IT professional with deep technical capabilities!   So if I can’t get it to work, I pity the average consumer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos was founded in 2002 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos) so you must have been a pretty early customer. Sonos has not killed all support for previous products - older products are still supplied with safety updates (though to be honest Sonos had to be persuaded by a public outcry to keep doing this). There’s just the early Sonos remote that is unsupported. Missed by some, but for most this is easily replaced by a smart phone.

You just can’t mix’n’match S1 and S2 products, but if you do not want to add old products, stay on S1 and you will be fine for some time.

Since you give no facts on you wifi (mesh, access points?) I cannot comment on you problems. Not sure what you mean by the “new systems can’t manage both wired and wireless”. Can you explain - that is if you want any help?

It sounds like a flaky network to me. Or perhaps an overly complicated/segmented one, which the ‘average consumer’ wouldn’t have but an ‘IT professional’ might.

And, yes, the first Sonos products shipped in January 2005, not 1997 or before.

Such a shame that you waited 25+ years (sic) to join the forum, and then chose to try to resurrect the S1/S2 issue, and litter your post with misinformation. It's really not worth the effort - you might as well leave that to the trolls.

I made the mistake of deleting my network from the app (not that it would matter, since I upgraded my router and the password changed). I didn’t realize that would disconnect my play ones from my router, and now the S2 app will not “Find System”, the page only refreshes without result only have to click it over and over again.

I pulled one down and hooked it up to ethernet and the app automatically connected to all my play 1’s. Stranger still is that I can stream through the other play 1s elsewhere in the house even though they are NOT connected to my router or ethernet except for the one; How is that possible?

Soon as I disconnect the ethernet, the app locks up back to “Fix it” which uses the same broken tool “Find System”

It’s worked flawlessly for years and now, I have a bunch of paperweights.

When you connect at least one device to your router with an Ethernet cable, they all are supposed to switch over to SonosNet, at least those that can. 

At that point, you can go in to the controller and enter the new SSID and password for your network, so that all the connected speakers will reconnect to your network now that you’ve changed everything. Once that’s done, removing the Ethernet cable will have everything switch back to your WiFi. 

This excellent Hardware deserves better Software.

The Sonos 2 Android App and Sonos PC App both fail to connect to my one simple Sonos Beam 2 device nearly every time I attempt to use them.  Very occasionally, after many attempts to find and re-establish a wifi connection I am able to launch the S2 App.  Both Beam 2 and Android cell phone are on same 2.4 GHz SSID of my mesh system which includes 5 GHz branches as well.  Alexa works every time I call her name and the TV audio via HDMI ARC seems to work reliably, so the BEAM 2, or at least the Amazon Alexa part of the Beam 2 always seem to be reliably connected to my 2.4 GHz Wifi. The SONOS Beam 2 has a manually assigned ip Address in my router.  My router is physically not near the Beam 2 so a hardwired LAN cable is not something I want to do.

It may be helpful to provide some explanation about why having one device temporarily hardwired to a router might magically ‘fix’ some issues that cannot be fixed via a Wifi connection.

It would be helpful if the S2 App would save and show previously made settings for system devices even if the Device cannot be found in this instance and then highlight whichever setting is ‘causing’ a problem.

This excellent Hardware deserves better Software.

It may be helpful to provide some explanation about why having one device temporarily hardwired to a router might magically ‘fix’ some issues that cannot be fixed via a Wifi connection.

When a wired connection is available, all of the SONOS units except ROAM and MOVE will switch to a private wireless mesh network called SonosNet. SonosNet is designed to provide robust wireless audio support. As you have discovered WiFi can be problematic. Yes, I know that WiFi can usually support phones, pads, TV’s, etc., but these are simple connections. Usually the device simply needs to get out to the Internet. SONOS, on the other hand is very complex because all of the players need to be able to talk to each other and the controlling pad/phone/computer. Network issues will impact SONOS before the other, simpler devices.

In your case there would be some WiFi interference near BEAM.

Anyway, if you can establish a connection using SonosNet, you can update the WiFi SSID and Password without having an actual WiFi connection to the SONOS system. Once the WiFi credentials have been corrected, assuming that the WiFi network is healthy enough, SONOS will switch over to WiFi after all of the wired connections are removed. Give the system a couple minutes to work through the details before and after terminating the wired connection.

I have only 1 sonos unit at this installation, the beam 2.  Would the sonos net be 'talking' to my cell phone over that net or my wifi 2.4ghz?  Is sonosnet necessary for a simple 1 device 'system'?

SonosNet is an option, you could easily just connect your single speaker to the wifi if you so chose.

SonosNet would have the Beam connecting through your router to talk to your phone. Some routers seem to have difficulties switching between data on 2.4Ghz versus 5Ghz connections, so that might be something to check.

Technically, with one speaker and no BRIDGE/BOOST, you’re not actually using SonosNet at all, you’re just directly wired to the router. 

I made the mistake of deleting my network from the app (not that it would matter, since I upgraded my router and the password changed). I didn’t realize that would disconnect my play ones from my router, and now the S2 app will not “Find System”, the page only refreshes without result only have to click it over and over again.

I pulled one down and hooked it up to ethernet and the app automatically connected to all my play 1’s. Stranger still is that I can stream through the other play 1s elsewhere in the house even though they are NOT connected to my router or ethernet except for the one; How is that possible?

Soon as I disconnect the ethernet, the app locks up back to “Fix it” which uses the same broken tool “Find System”

It’s worked flawlessly for years and now, I have a bunch of paperweights.

Having the exact same problem, tried everything that was suggested, no help, no solution. A horrible experience.