Sonos amps, same house different SSIDs

• 11 December 2022
  • 7 replies

I have a main house plus a rental space, I’ve created two SSIDs on my network, "home" and "guest". I'd like to add one amp to "guest" network, so that people on the "home" network can't accidentally access that speaker and vice versa. Is it possible?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, that’s fine.  Just be sure to have your phone connected to the correct SSID when you want to setup the rental and select set-up new system.

Yes, that’s fine.  Just be sure to have your phone connected to the correct SSID when you want to setup the rental and select set-up new system.

I should of added that I’ve tried this, and regardless of which SSID I have my phone connected to all the amps are accessible. It’s like Sonos knows they are on the same network, even though they are on different SSIDs. 

If folks have done this with success I’ll try it again. Thanks in advance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I should of added that I’ve tried this, and regardless of which SSID I have my phone connected to all the amps are accessible. It’s like Sonos knows they are on the same network, even though they are on different SSIDs. 

Can you use a second device to setup your second system, that has never been used in your first?  The original controller can sometimes remember the old system.

The other way of doing this is set a different SubNet on your two SSID’s.  This will ensure that the two systems will stay remote from each other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It looks like the two SSID’s on your network still come together in your router, my conclusion would be you still have one network.

Frequently, built in ‘guest’ networks block peer to peer communications such as Sonos uses, so if you use your router’s built in ‘guest’ system, folks might not be able to connect to it. You could easily create your own separate LAN, and potentially rename it to ‘guest’. It’s possible that you may need to modify the name, they may block ‘guest’ as an already existing network name.

It looks like the two SSID’s on your network still come together in your router, my conclusion would be you still have one network.

Can you use a second device to setup your second system, that has never been used in your first?  The original controller can sometimes remember the old system.

The other way of doing this is set a different SubNet on your two SSID’s.  This will ensure that the two systems will stay remote from each other.

I have the Ubiquiti setup which is pretty easy to setup separate SubNets, I’ll give that a shot.

My preference would be to establish a second household for the rental. They could share the same subnet, but I’d want the rental to be on a separate subnet regardless.