Sonos Amp Turntable Distortion

• 4 June 2023
  • 6 replies

I’ve seen this thread a few times but I still haven’t found an answer.  I have a Technics turntable into a Cambridge Solo Preamp into the Line-in on my Sonos Amp.  Originally I had a cheap Pyle preamp and everything work fine until one day I started getting distortion so I upgraded my preamp to the Cambridge.  Distortion is still there.  I even ordered new RCA cables to see if that will fix it but I’m not convinced that’s the issue.  Any thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Have you tried adjusting the source-level in the line-in settings in the Amp ‘room’ settings within the Sonos App? …"Settings/System/[Amp Room Name]"

Stylus issues? Gross tracking force issues?

At first I thought it was the stylus so I replaced it. I even replaced my preamp.  I also have adjusted the source level. Here’s a thought, as I’m typing…. Any chance the stylus “arm” could go bad?  When I get back home I will switch out turntables to rule the turntable out all together. 

Sure, Mother Nature is never fair. There could be a gross mechanical issue with the arm that has effectively changed the tracking force. I’ve fussed with enough turntables over the years, that I would instinctively sense an arm issue by touch and start a detailed investigation. You don’t have this advantage. Follow the turntable stylus force adjustment procedure. Track near the upper end of the cartridge recommended range. Tracking too light will result in distortion and more rapid record wear. The arm should horizontally and vertically move freely without feeling loose. Check for silly things such as cartridge wires touching the record. When viewed from the front, the stylus should be perpendicular to the record surface.

We also cannot rule out hardware issues with AMP, although I cannot recall anyone reporting a similar issue proven to be an AMP fault. As a reality check you could temporarily use another analog source, such as a tuner, cassette deck, CD player, PC, etc.

So when I run another source that’s not the turntable in the analog input…. No distortion.  So I think I can rule out the amp as the culprit. 

So when I run another source that’s not the turntable in the analog input…. No distortion.  So I think I can rule out the amp as the culprit. 

Four things to perhaps check...

1. Check/replace the RCA cable etc.
  2. Damage/worn stylus or bent cantilever etc?
  3. Cartridge alignment?.. https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/cartridge-alignment-the-basics-explained/
  4. Tone arm balance (weight too low perhaps?) See this link... https://thevinylfactory.com/features/how-to-balance-your-tonearm-a-step-by-step-guide/

I would maybe start with 4 above and see if the weight is too low.