Skip to main content

Hi,

I have two large areas, often used for trainings/workshops. We would like to install some in-ceiling speakers, powered by a Sonos Amp.

If you combine a Sonos Amp with Sonance speakers, you can connect up to six speakers to one Sonos. So I'll guess we’ll go for that option.

Below you can see the layout of the two areas. Please see them as one big room, there is no wall or door between them. It’s ok that the same music is played in these two areas.

In 95% of the cases, the speakers will need to provide some soft background music (in a non-distracting way). However, in some specific cases we need to play some loud audio files.

A true stereo-setup will be difficult in these areas, so we’ll work in dual mono mode.

The key thing I’m struggling with is speaker placement. Given below layout, how should I place the six speakers for evenly distributed sound?

Assuming there’s no option other than to stick with 6 speakers and just the one Amp, all operating in mono, this would be my chosen configuration, as there seems to be a wide opening between the two rooms… I’m assuming the side where I have placed the one speaker in the middle of each room is perhaps where the trainer will present the training, and there will be display boards etc on those walls?

The real worry here for me however is an ‘echo effect’ from the ‘other’ rooms audio output, as audio travels at about one foot per millisecond and the distant speakers some 35+ feet may cause that effect, perhaps? 

Hi Ken,

Thanks a lot for helping me out!

Did you add anything to the picture? Sorry, it’s probably me, but I can’t see anything.

People in the room can be at any location - there is no fixed seating (and people would often stand). Same for the person given the training, he would be walking around. So that’s why I think mono is the way to go, the attempt to an (accurate) stereo effect would probably just cause distraction.

I didn’t think about the echo effect, and maybe you are right. But I’m not sure if there is a solution to that (besides not turning up the volume to 11).

Hi Ken,

Did you add anything to the picture? Sorry, it’s probably me, but I can’t see anything.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood your plan/diagram? I assumed the blue squares were the options you were considering, so the diagram I have amended and uploaded in my previous post above, shows the 6 speaker positions, - three speakers for each room?

Does that assist🤔?

Hi Ken,

Apologies. I was looking for things you might have added, I totally missed what you have taken away! 😃

These blue squares are lighting positions, but I didn’t mention that, so it was a bit confusing. 

But I get your proposal. Thanks!

Knowing that there is no fixed teacher/student position (people roaming around), I’m trying to reposition your proposal a bit. I’m assuming people would be less at the place where you go from one room to the other. 

So I came up with below overview. Does that make sense?

Also, what is the maximum area one (mono)speaker can cover without turning up the volume too much? I know it’s probably a very subjective question. But I want to avoid that sound is too loud when you are directly below the speaker, and I also want to avoid dead zones (virtually no sound). 

I found this, which may assist for spacing the speakers (perhaps?)

https://www.australianmonitor.com.au/pages/ceiling-speaker-spacing-calculator

I found this, which may assist for spacing the speakers (perhaps?)

https://www.australianmonitor.com.au/pages/ceiling-speaker-spacing-calculator

Thanks!

I have taken a look at this calculator, and even with the background music/lower cost option, it generates a lot of speakers. I’m sure this is all for the optimal listening experience, but not within the limits of my budget. I’ve decided to stick to the 6 speakers and one Sonos Amp. 

So unless people have better suggestions on where to place these six speakers, I’m going for what I have drawn above.

Thanks, Ken!