Answered

Sonos Amp not connecting - wired or wireless - maybe a reset required?

• 25 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Evening all, was gifted a fairly new (but technically 2nd user) Amp a week or two back but what I thought would be the normal straightforward set up is proving be anything but.

Device powers up, is connected on an RG45 to an older Amp Connect port.

The app sometimes finds it but never completes the connection and comes back with an ! and ‘power down and try again’

It does not always make a connection, it seems inconsistent. If you swap the RJ45 connection during the device search, it will flash up that ‘Sonos Amp’ found but does not complete the connection.

On one ocassion, the app made a statement to the effect that there was network problem and was trying to connect direct from the mobile. That did not complete either.

It is possible of course (not being out of the box new) that there is a hard fault or that a previous config is hampering progress.

I wondered if there was a hard reset procedure that might clear any config question marks. or if there is a different testing procedure that might help clarify things?

Many thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 25 September 2022, 23:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

See here to FR the Amp for initial setup:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096

Always Factory Reset a previously owned unit before adding it to your network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could setting it up on wifi too (after the recommended reset), or use a direct cable connection to your router.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Ken, Buzz, 106, many thanks for taking the time to come back to me so quickly. How many places can you go where you ask a question before bed and wake up to three solid lines of progression? 😀

I will follow the reset procedure this and indeed connect it directly to the main switch to eliminate possible cable issues. Will report back later morning with results. Many thanks folks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just to feedback results to you. The procedure worked a treat. Many thanks to you all for answers and directions.

Also connecting the RJ45 direct to the main switch eliminated any question marks over our in-house wiring. It was working a treat and always has but you always doubt your own work above that of others.

Right now I have a recognised, registered and up to date AMP. Tonight I will wire up to ceiling speakers and SW but I’m sure it will be good now.

This one was a mistake on my part. We had an older Connect Amp running two pairs of B&W CCM682’s … one pair on stairs and landing with a Sonos SW and one pair in the Hall with no Sub. Mistakenly I thought you could just add a Sub. Costly mistake but it starts to come good now. 

Will report back once installed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Now up and running a treat …..  Amp, SW and 2 x CCM682’s on landing and same in hallway. 

This install has always frustrated a bit due to lack of bass but now is consistent all the way through. 

Sonos happiness is restored.

Many thanks folks for all your input. Another quality community solution.

Recently my Sonos amp connected to ceiling speakers would not connect.  Tried resetting, add it again to my system, rebooting my router.  Nothing! 
I realized after several minutes that the amp was turning itself on, then turn off, repeatedly. Tried resetting again, tried connecting and reconnecting speakers to the terminals. Nothing again worked.   Finally I unplugged the unit for several hours just to give it a shot. Came back and everything started working and connecting properly.   Go figure.  No clue why or how that worked.  Anyone can explain? 

My first response would be that there is something wrong with the wiring. AMP will shut down if it detects a wiring fault or overload situation. If you have physically moved AMP during any of your trials, it’s possible that a wiring fault has temporarily “healed”.