Answered

sonos amp losing wifi connectivity

• 2 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi  - 

I have three sonos amps running several sets of in-wall speakers (no sonos speakers).

Have the amps running on my whole home wifi network but i have several ‘dead spots’ in the house where i can’t reach sonos from my iPhone.

Can can i do?  thanks

icon

Best answer by Paul A 3 January 2021, 00:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @dhaugen.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted to have a stable Sonos experience even with some Wireless dead spots with in the environment. Allow me to share some information to help out.

If it is possible, we can make use of SonosNet/Sonos Mesh system. SonosNet or Sonos Mesh system (exclusive for Sonos devices) is triggered if atleast one Sonos product is wired to the router via ethernet cable. Please follow the guide below to successfully set up Sonos net with in your Sonos ecosystem. 

1. Make sure atleast 1 ethernet port is available and is active in your router. If you are not sure, please feel free to reach out to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) for assistance to confirm.
  2. Once we are able to confirm that atleast 1 ethernet port is active and available, Unplug all Sonos devices from power.
  3. Connect 1 Sonos Product to the router via ethernet cable. (ethernet cable first before power) to make sure that the Sonos products utilizes wired connection over wireless.
  4. Once the Sonos product connected to the router has a solid white light, plug into power the nearest Sonos product to the one connected to the router.
  5. Wait for the Solid white light before plugging into pwoer the next Sonos product until all products have solid white light.

The above guide should get all your Sonos devices into SonosNet connection and test to make sure everything works.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,

Thanks, Paul.

Couple of questions - 

1. My router has one Ethernet port and it’s connected to my Google wifi whole home wifi mesh system.  Do I just unplug that and then after powering up the Sonos amp, plug it back in?

1. After getting the Sonos amp powered up, do I need to leave it attached permanently to the router?  If so, I will have a wasted amp.

Thanks - Dan

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @dhaugen.

Thanks for the update and immediate response.

Since you have mentioned about Google Mesh system. Allow me to share with you some information to help out. You don’t even need to do my recommendation above. What you are experiencing is doubleNAT. where if your mobile phone transfers connection from one Access point/node to another node, it cannot see the devices connected to the access point/node it came from. I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer of the mesh system so that the mesh system can be configured in bridge mode or access point mode or which option best fits your preference (the main objective is to disable the mesh from generating their own IP-address).

• Have each access point have their own unique Wi-Fi name as so you and your mobile controller do not get confused about what and where to connect to access your Sonos system.
  • Disable Wifi Capabilities of the Main router that provides connection directly to your ISP or internet provider.
  • Disable the DHCP or IP-address generation of the Access point and only allow the main router to generate the IP-addresses to avoid IP-address mismatch or IP-address duplicates.
  • Wire a Sonos device to one of the routers/access points to get them to stay on a single network (having each access point have their own unique WiFi names).

Let me share with you a topic in this community that discusses multiple routers. You can share and ask questions or comments on that topic if something is not clear. 

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks,