Answered

Sonos AMP ethernet but sub wireless doesn't work

• 27 September 2022
  • 6 replies

I disabled the WiFi on amp (since its plugged in ethernet) but when I do this the sub stops working on WiFi.

Do both have to be either on WiFi or ethernet in order to work?

icon

Best answer by ratty 27 September 2022, 21:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Re-enable the “WiFi”. You’ve prevented the Amp from communicating with its Sub via its own 5GHz wireless.

The “disable WiFi” option in fact amounts to “disable SonosNet and home theatre wireless”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This would be a really good topic to mark for attention of the Sonos developers.

Simply changing that one menu option would end so much confusion.

Simply change Disable WiFi  to Disable Radio.

Slip it into the change log under “other enhancements” and say nothing.

I agree, but I’m sure that there will be pushback. For many people “Radio” is an unknown -- isn’t that the same as “WiFi”? Is “Radio” a local station? And I’m sure that the menu authors will not want to distinguish between WiFi, SonosNet, and the direct surround connections because this seems ‘complicated’ and menu’s should be ‘simple’. 

It’s the self styled “experts” and their followers who are getting into trouble. I’m sure that SONOS could reduce support calls if they figured out a way to discourage inexperienced people from disabling the radios. Overall I think easy access to this option should be restricted to professional installers. On a case by case basis, regular users could be given access to the feature. 

As a thought🤔? …

Perhaps when the WiFi is disabled (particularly on a HT master), it might help to just popup a screen that gives a clear warning to the user of the implications of disabling the WiFi adapters  - just to let them know it may present issues with bonded devices etc - something short and to the point, that will make the user read and take note.

It would not become an annoying ‘popup’ either me thinks, as it’s not something people will do too often anyway.

Installers can perhaps have the option to disable the popup during multi-product setup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Installer only options remain installer only until the access method is leaked.

A nice warning pop-up to disable the radio, one that required a tick-box if a Sub or Surrounds were currently connected as well as OK would be good.

There was a time when it was an option pretty much restricted to installers, which could only be accessed via x.x.x.x:1400/wifictrl. 

Sonos has more of a habit of hiding stuff away (all those interesting pages at x.x.x.x:1400/status for example) yet for some reason chose to bring this one into the daylight, guarded by checks to stop a user from turning off the radio on a wireless device and thus marooning it. 

Given the thought that went into ensuring the user was protected from themselves, it’s ironic that they couldn’t get the wording right.