Answered

Sonos AMP a long distance from SUB

• 9 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I have an AMP in an AV rack a long distance from the room with ceiling speakers that the AMP serves.

I’ve placed a Sonos SUB in the room itself and it’s connected to Wifi, and there are other Sonos units in nearby rooms (so the SonosNet signal strength in the room should be good), the room has good Wifi signal also).

The audio to the sub cuts in and out and sometimes there’s no audio from the SUB at all.

The AMP is wired to the network, so the system is in SonosNet mode.

My assumption was that the SUB would connect via SonosNet, or via Wifi, to the AMP. but it seems that the AMP is attempting to directly connect (i.e. not over Wifi, and not over SonosNet) to the SUB, and being some physical distance in the AV Cupboard, it’s intermittently failing to maintain it’s own direct wireless connection to the SUB - is that how it works?

I.e. you need to have the AMP and SUB physically near each other so they can connect via a direct non-Wifi, non-SonosNet wireless link?

As an aside, when I connect the SUB via ethernet to the network (even via a Wifi > ethernet converter like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B093GZLKPH)) it seems to work correctly.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 9 November 2022, 09:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The connection between Amp (or soundbar) and Sub (or surrounds) is indeed through a dedicated 5Ghz link, not through Sonosnet. This is a higher speed connection to keep the sound in sync with your TV. But 5Ghz is also more only used for shorter distances.

You seem to have found your solution though.

@ratty or a certified rep from Sonos:

So for an Amp tucked away in a network closet that’s too far from a Sub (gen 3) for the proprietary 5ghz connection to work..  can you confirm 100% that this wired solution is guaranteed to work:

• if both the Sub and the Amp are connected via ethernet to the same network, and they both have “Disable Wifi” set.

I’m seeing “it should work” in responses..  looking for something concrete I can plan a handful of sites this way.  Thank you!