Answered

Signal Booster

• 7 June 2023
  • 8 replies

I am going to install signal boosters in my home.  Will they impact the connection to my Sonos?  What should I be concerned about?  I use ATT router and internet provider.  

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 June 2023, 13:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge

Sonos say that wireless range extenders are not supported. I have however used a TP Link in the past with no issues. Its a suck it and see situation. Mesh devices like EERO would possibly be more benefical.

@Bwalsh122,
Yes, they ‘may’ have an impact. 

The Sonos controller uses SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. 

Thereafter communication is unicast.

Sometimes WiFi boosters and extenders can sometimes interrupt the multicast packets and cause intermittent issues with ‘device discovery’, but this can vary by device coupled with the main router and any switches on the network. 

It’s often better if the controller device and all speakers are connected to a single access point, but that said Sonos have greatly improved things in more recent times and it’s perhaps a case of trying these things and see if they work, but as a disclaimer, please note the "unsupported networks" section in the below link detailing the Sonos System Requirements:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Thanks for the helpful feedback.  If I connected my Sonos system directly to the router, could I then use wireless range extenders to improve my internet signal throughout my home?

Thanks for the helpful feedback.  If I connected my Sonos system directly to the router, could I then use wireless range extenders to improve my internet signal throughout my home?

It’s really a case of perhaps trying these things and seeing if it works - but as mentioned it’s not a ‘supported’ setup. It’s also about communication between the mobile controller and the speakers themselves being discovered. Some such devices apparently may, or may not, work.

Signal boosters can potentially impact the connection to your Sonos system, so it's important to consider a few factors before installing them. Here are some things to be aware of:

1. Compatibility: Ensure that the signal booster you choose is compatible with the frequency bands used by your Sonos devices. Most Sonos devices operate on standard Wi-Fi frequencies, so make sure the booster supports those frequencies (e.g., 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz).

2. Interference: Signal boosters amplify signals, and if not properly installed or configured, they can cause interference with other wireless devices like your Sonos system. This interference can result in degraded performance or even complete loss of connectivity. Place the boosters strategically to minimize potential interference.

3. Placement: Consider the placement of your signal boosters in relation to your Sonos devices. Avoid placing the boosters too close to the speakers or any other Sonos components. Keep a reasonable distance to minimize the risk of interference.

4. Signal strength: Before installing the boosters, assess the strength of your Wi-Fi signal in the areas where you plan to place the Sonos devices. Signal boosters are typically used to enhance weak signals, so it's important to identify the areas where they are truly needed.

5. Network configuration: Signal boosters should be integrated into your network setup correctly. Ensure that the boosters are configured as access points or extenders, depending on your specific needs. This will help maintain a seamless connection between your Sonos devices and the ATT router.

6. Testing and troubleshooting: After installing the signal boosters, thoroughly test your Sonos system to ensure it still functions properly. If you encounter any issues, troubleshoot by adjusting the positioning of the boosters or consulting the manuals for both the boosters and the Sonos devices.

Thanks for your advice.  What if I connected one of my Sonos speakers directly to the router? Would not that tie the system to the internet signal and then give me the ability to use extenders to boost the signal for tv?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, all Sonos speakers (except the Era’s, the Move and the Roam) will then go over to Sonosnet.

Thanks for your advice.  What if I connected one of my Sonos speakers directly to the router? Would not that tie the system to the internet signal and then give me the ability to use extenders to boost the signal for tv?

Note your controller device(s) will still connect to your extenders, so if you do encounter multicast ‘discovery’ issues, then blacklist your mobile controller device(s) on those extenders so that it connects direct to the router. That should help - ensure too, if not using Roam, Move or Era speakers that the local WiFi credentials are not stored in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’. Here’s a Sonos support document link showing how to remove them if they are present and not required…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/remove-a-wifi-network-from-your-sonos-system