Answered

S1 Error Code 30

• 29 December 2020
  • 7 replies

About two weeks ago, my sonos S1 stopped working. On multiple devices (android, iOS, mac) the app says that the speakers need an update. However, when we try and update them, it gives “error code 30”. I have spoken with tech support and they had me try various unplugging and resetting.

I am unable to directly connect the speakers via an ethernet cable due to where they are located. Is there anything else I can try to get these speakers updated and working again?

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 1 January 2021, 23:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @lev8990.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me help you figure this out.

Error 30 occurs when one of your Sonos products tries to download the update file but is unsuccessful. Please refer to this article that provides the steps to follow when having trouble downloading the update. To set your expectation, it is still best to work with the technician live via phone support as they have resources available for advanced troubleshooting.

The last suggested step and it is also highly recommended to connect the Sonos product having the update trouble directly to your router using an ethernet cable to ensure a stable connection often needed to complete an update. If that is not possible to do, then we will need to look into your Sonos system further and see if we can find other options to try.

To check some data from your system, please send in a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number, I’ll start by reviewing your system.

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.

Hi Annazel, thanks for the reply. I just submitted the diagnostics, confirmation code is 386559156. 

I tried all the steps in the error code 30 article, and spent a few hours on the phone with Sonos for this issue but we were not able to fix the issue. Unfortunately because of where the speaker is located I won’t be able to connect directly with an Ethernet cable. 

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @lev8990.

Thanks for your response and update.

You may receive an update Error 30 with a room name associated with it on the controller when attempting an update to the system. If there is, kindly verify which room is shown with the error?

Upon checking the diagnostic report, the system does not show any isolated devices, which indicates that all units are running on an S1 or S2 system (your system is S1) and you are getting a normal update error 30 failure. Knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting would be a great foundation for troubleshooting.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

I see that there’s a Sonos player that doesn’t have a connection to our Sonos cloud server. I suggest that there must be no harm in verifying that the system has been securely registered by checking the Sonos system’s registered email address:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap Account.
  3. Here you’ll see the email address that your account is registered to. (Verify if the information are all correct)

Let me know how that goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out.

So I have four different speakers that are definitely all running on S1: “Master Bedroom”, “Media Room”, “Master Bed/Bath”, and “House Music”. “Master Bedroom” and “Media Room” are both updated and working properly. “Master Bed/Bath” and “House Music” both say they need updates, and “Master Bed/Bath” says it has an additional issue. 

I just verified that I am signed in properly on my account and all the information is correct. The weird part is, I can’t go to “add device” or any of those because they are all greyed out. 

I am not completely sure about the setup because I had someone do it for me. I am pretty sure they are all connected to each other with a wire. They might actually be connected via an ethernet cable. I think they are connected via a Netgear Prosafe Switch JGS516 PE, which is then connected to my Spectrum router. I also have a Sonicwall APL28-084 firewall. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @lev8990.

Thanks for your response and for the additional details.

Upon doing research, there are known Sonos issues with Netgear Prosafe Managed Switch when more than one Sonos component is wired to this managed switch and one of those is ‘updating’.

I’ve found a suggested resolution, and this involves checking the configuration/setting of the device/switch. If in case you’re not comfortable doing this exercise, you may reach out to Netgear support for assistance.

• Login to Netgear's GUI (graphical user interface)  using the correct username/password. NOTE: It may be necessary to set a static IP on your PC so that you match the Netgear's subnet in order to access the webpage interface.  Default password is password
  • Navigate to Switching > STP
  • Locate BPDU Flooding and select Enable.
  • Spanning Tree State is ‘Disabled’ by default.

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks so much for looking into this issue! I think you’re right that it’s an issue with the managed switch. I signed onto the GUI, but the only problem is that I can’t find any tab for “switching” “BPDU flooding” or “spinning tree state”. I looked through the entire GUI. I found some screenshots of Netgear GUI’s for other switches that have the settings you mentioned.

However, mine looks like this and seems to have much more limited options. https://www.netgear.no/business/products/switches/web-managed/XS708Ev2.aspx

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @lev8990.

Thanks for your response.

Kindly try to check your firewall and ensure that it is configured correctly to work with Sonos.

If your firewall appears to be configured correctly and the update still fails, try temporarily disabling the firewall and re-try the update.

You can install the ProSAFE Plus Utility on any computer that runs a Windows operating system (OS) and that is on the same network as the switches that you want to manage. If an earlier version of the utility is present on your computer, installing a newer version replaces the older version. Newer versions of the utility are backward compatible and support all previously released NETGEAR Smart Managed Plus switches.

To configure the switch using the ProSAFE Plus Utility:

1. Cable the switch to a network with a router or DHCP server that manages IP address.

2. Power on the switch. The DHCP server assigns the switch an IP address.

3. Connect your computer to the same network as the switch. You can use a WiFi or wired connection. The computer and the switch must be on the same layer 2 network.

4. Launch the ProSAFE Plus Utility using the desktop icon (wrench) or tile.

(The Switch Selection page displays a list of Web Managed (Plus) switches that the utility discovers on the local network.)

5. Select the switch. If you do not see the switch, click the REFRESH button.

6. Click the APPLY button. You are asked to enter the password for the switch.

7. Enter the switch’s password in the password field. The switch’s default password is password. The Switch Status page displays.

8. Select QoS > Broadcast Filtering.

9. If this is the first time that you are setting up broadcast filtering, select the Enable radio button.

10. Click the Apply button. Your settings are saved and the Storm control rate table displays.

Let us know how that goes.