S1 App frustrations

Userlevel 2

Hi Sonos,

i have spent a fruitless few hours trying to get my system not work.

Despite little hiccups with previous app updates I have generally been able to get it working. Now however, I am just sooooo annoyed and frustrated by trying to connect my well placed existing system. 
All the trouble shooting suggestions require massive disruptions to the WiFi in my house or unplugging each device and starting them individually, only to find they connect for a millisecond and then disappear and say the product was not found. I have sent diagnostic reports, but all it will say is nothing is found.

i had a great system and well connected to my WiFi, only to have an obsolete system working perfectly for a number of years.
Now I am just deflated and disappointed as I contemplate buying a new system I can afford!

Thanks for not showing any loyalty to your customers or systems.

31 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

hi @Osullivan, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I understand the frustration you’re having and I’m willing to assist you on troubleshooting.

I would like to take a look at the diagnostic you sent, can you please post the confirmation number.

I would like to know the model of your router as well; to make sure we don’t have any known issue with it.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 2

Hi Kyle,

Thank you, but our router is very new up to date. Why should your update make our system obsolete?

It is ridiculous!!!

I will send through diagnostics tomorrow when I can afford to spend another 30 minutes of my time trying to fix a problem your system created.

Userlevel 2

Here is the most recent diagnostic. I have tried again a number of times either by connection or find my product to each of the playbar, Sonos 1 and the Sonos 3.

Any assistance appreciated, but still a very unhappy product user after being a loud and proud supporter.

Our router is 18months old and I amunprepared to change this as it is top of the range and suits my families needs. It is not the problem, your app and renewal has resulted in these changes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Osullivan, thank you for the update.

The diagnostic is showing that the Sonos Bridge, Playbar with the 2 Play:1 and the Play:3 are separated on 3 different Household ID.

This is an issue for the Sonos app; it will have trouble connecting all speakers for a group playback and control them since the app can only connect to one household at a time.

On group 1Sonos Bridge, group 2Playbar, and the 2 Play:1s and group 3:  Play:3.

To correct this; we would need to Factory Reset 2 of the groups to join them all in 1 group.

To Reset the Sonos Products you can follow this guide. Reset your Sonos product

Then add product or add boost or bridge. Here’s the guide for this step. Add a new Sonos product to an existing system.

Tell us how it goes with the given suggestion.

Hi Sonos,

i have spent a fruitless few hours trying to get my system not work.

Despite little hiccups with previous app updates I have generally been able to get it working. Now however, I am just sooooo annoyed and frustrated by trying to connect my well placed existing system. 
All the trouble shooting suggestions require massive disruptions to the WiFi in my house or unplugging each device and starting them individually, only to find they connect for a millisecond and then disappear and say the product was not found. I have sent diagnostic reports, but all it will say is nothing is found.

i had a great system and well connected to my WiFi, only to have an obsolete system working perfectly for a number of years.
Now I am just deflated and disappointed as I contemplate buying a new system I can afford!

Thanks for not showing any loyalty to your customers or systems.

I have been a happy Sonos user and advocate for many years. But with the launch of S2 my perfectly running system setup of play 5’s and sound bars are rendered completely useless. No I didn’t want to trade up my systems as I spent $3k on a sound system that worked smooth as silk before.

And now, since months; Infinite loops from S1 to S2 Apps, no possibility to access ‘legacy’ units. Playlist unable to play. It’s costing me WAY too much time, and generating quite some frustration. and I have several speakers which are idle now for months. 
Gone is the simplicity and quality that I and many other users are used to. Really really disappointed in Sonos: from hero to zero! Take the feedback seriously and fix the dodgy apps to assist your customers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @kdrvh, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

We do take the feedback seriously and our Sonos Engineers are looking into the firmware.

I would be happy to assist you as much as I can if you allow me to.

If you could get a diagnostic, post the confirmation and we’re going to take a look at it.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

I have similar issue. Sometime since summer (june-july) my system started acting erratically. When in september 2020 I received prompt to choose s1 or s2 app I selected s1. Since then situation has deteriorated. Following 3 network restarts and sonos new system setups over past weekend system typically works for a day and then becomes unresponsive to app. I have 1st gen sonos boost. App restarts, speaker unplug/reply these are things I can not continue to do on a daily basis. If I can not combine s1 and s2 compatible hardware I want to know rather than stay in this frustration. I have submitted system diagnostics today. Tx in advance for return to situation where it just works or I ll just get the much cheaper amazon Alexa speakers everywhere.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @sven1910, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thank you for letting us know about your concern. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps that you have done. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

First I'd like to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Are you getting an error message when you connect to your Sonos system?
2. Any changes in the network recently?
3. Have you tried to remove your Sonos Bridge from the router and temporarily wired one of your speakers?

Please submit a diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number for us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution. Also, if you can provide us your full network setup including the make and model for each device, that would be great.

We'll wait for your reply.

Hello, I have the same issue, and as well am very disappointed with Sonos, I used to brag about my Sonos and made lots of my friend a fan, but not any longer, ever since S1 and S2 Started, my system is not working properly and I have spent countless hours trying to fix it with no luck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi @Amir-Khan, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It would be great if you can provide us more details about your concern and the issue you're having with your Sonos devices. Also, if you can submit a diagnostic report for us to check for any errors. Just provide the confirmation number in your response. We'll wait for your response.

I’m having many problems with my Sonos system pretty much since S1/S2. It all works and then just stops working (sometimes mid song) and will only recognize my Sonos Move, but none of my Sonos Ones, Sonos 1s, or Sonos 5 (gen 2)…. Then after a few hours it all spontaneously works again. It’s not a wifi or internet issue as those continue working just fine. Quite disappointing from a system that used to work flawlessly...

Actually, I’d bet is is a network issue. 

The first step I’d try is a network refresh. Unplug all Sonos devices from power. While they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug in your Sonos devices.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, I would read the wifi interference FAQ, paying particular, although not exclusive, attention to potential sources outside of your network itself.

Finally, if neither of the above work, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

Hi,

I’m another person with a long history of Sonos use, relegated to an ever more glitchy S1 system. Problem after problem, spent ages unplugging everything, tried a network refresh, no good. Now it won’t even let me send diagnostic information. 

Really bored / annoyed by this.

N

What did Sonos say when you called them?

SOLVED

Airgetlam - thank you for your advice. It solved the issue for me. I kept getting caught in the “You need to update to S2 but your system won’t work with S2”-bullsh*t. The app wouldn’t connect to Spotify or TuneIn Radio. But after your reset network idea we are back up and running. So thank you :)

I’m done with you Sonos. My frustration has reached peak levels. I’m not doing this anymore. I’m done connecting, re-connecting, resetting and restarting. It’s not the WiFi, it’s you and your stupid app. What’s next, Sonos S2 to replace Sonos S1 and make all my other products obsolete? No thanks, not doing it. I’m buying Klipsh or Bose from now on and you can take your garbage app and obsolete products and shove em up your a$$. That’s all, I’m done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since all products you seem to own are S2 capable: have you tried S2? Tried other tips (fixed ip's)?

I am OBVIOUSLY late to this party.

I have 3 sonos 1, a playbar and a subwoofer that now dont work- the S1 app says they cant find any of them- I have followed the instructions. Unplug them, replug them and unplug router with no help. Can anyone help?

Plug one of the speakers in to your router with an Ethernet cable. If you’re currently using a BRIDGE, please let us know, and disconnect it while you have the speaker wired. If any of your speakers are set up as surround speakers, do not use them to directly wire to your router. Similarly, do not wire your subwoofer, either. Technically, the PLAYBAR might be best, but it may not be the closest to the router.

Can we assume when you say Sonos 1, you mean PLAY:1? How are they set up, are two of them surround speakers for the PLAYBAR, or are the in their own ‘rooms’?

the playbar and sub and 2 Play 1s are set up as a surround- it randomly started working-- will reach back out if it disappears again- I spent hours on this today- any bad have no idea why it all of a sudden started.. thank you for your quick response. Next time (hoping there is not one) I can plug the spare play 1 from another room in.

You may have some wifi interference or network issues. May be worth reading the linked FAQ, and remembering that all interference doesn’t have to come from within your network or even home, networks are influenced by outside factors, too.

I’m glad it’s working now, but if it failed before, and nothing has been ‘fixed’, there’s a good chance it will fail again. 

Was stuck with S1 compatibility issues.  Support helped me hard reset old speakers so S2 can see them.  Thanks.

I can’t believe you guys haven’t fixed the S1 and S2 compatibility issues.  I thought if I waited for a year or more I could come back and find a fix.  No such luck.  I regret buying my new sub and arc.  I can’t integrate or even use my old Sonos devices now.

I’ve wasted so much time going around in circles because of your lousy software compatibility.  Whenever I start my S1 system it immediately starts the S2 system and I lose access to my entire S1.  S2 is NOT compatible with S2!

I’ve tried reset and most other things.

how about a refund for these bricks you sold me?

S1 will only ever link through to S2 if you are running both systems with the same Household ID - change the S1 setup as described in other threads here on the forum. 

Amazing to see SO MANY identical customer complaints in this forum. And yet Sonos main response is always “it’s your Wi-Fi or networking issues”. I’ve been dealing with similar problems for the last five months now. I’ve spent close to10hr over the last five months dealing w/Sonos customer support. With no solution in sight. They keep blaming it on “network connectivity issues “. However, these problems only occurred after the introduction of the Sonos2 app. Prior to that my system worked flawlessly. I have been a loyal Sonos customer since their inception in 2011. So disgusted with this horribly run company. Hey Sonos, how about actually paying attention to these forums. If your customers all seem to be having the same problems, maybe the problem is your product/updates. Just a guess. I have never seen so much passing-the-buck from one company in my life!.

Amazing to see SO MANY identical customer complaints in this forum. And yet Sonos main response is always “it’s your Wi-Fi or networking issues”. I’ve been dealing with similar problems for the last five months now. I’ve spent close to10hr over the last five months dealing w/Sonos customer support. With no solution in sight. They keep blaming it on “network connectivity issues “. However, these problems only occurred after the introduction of the Sonos2 app. Prior to that my system worked flawlessly. I have been a loyal Sonos customer since their inception in 2011. So disgusted with this horribly run company. Hey Sonos, how about actually paying attention to these forums. If your customers all seem to be having the same problems, maybe the problem is your product/updates. Just a guess. I have never seen so much passing-the-buck from one company in my life!.

You’ve only just joined the forum here today, why haven’t you posted about the issues before to discuss them? You just need to outline your network/sonos setup and the issues encountered etc.