Answered

Record Player setup from Sonos AMP to Sonos ARC - totally confused

• 19 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I have a sonos ARC which is connected to my TV for it to play through. I have now recently purchased a sonos AMP because i have a very old record player i would like to connect. 

I believe i have setup the record player to connect to AMP properly, and i have added AMP to the sonos app. 

What i want to do is have the AMP play through the ARC as my speaker but i dont see any way to have it do that. When it added AMP to the app, it added it to living room 2 instead of living room where my ARC is (no idea why). There is an option to connect the AMP to the ARC as a “surround sound” via a setup dialogue, but when i try to do that, although it seems to show my ARC as an option, when i actually select the ARC, the whole app just crashes. 

I think the setup i want is pretty simple. Record player to AMP. AMP to use the ARC as its speaker. so essentially my record player is using the ARC as its speaker via the AMP but i cant for the life of me figure out how to do that. Any thoughts?

note i dont have any external speakers connected to the AMP, nor do i want any. i want the AMP to use the ARC thats connected to the TV as its speaker.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 19 January 2023, 10:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Nevermind, i fixed it. In case anyone cares, its not true when people tell you that you have to add speakers directly to a SONOS AMP to make it work. Just connect your record player to the AMP (if it has built in preamp) or connect it to a preamp first and then to the AMP. Then go into your app and create a group with the AMP and your ARC speaker. select line in and play your record. works like a charm.

Line-In is simply a music source on the network. While Line-In lives in the same box as AMP/PORT/FIVE, Line-In is not automatically passed through as one might expect from a traditional hifi.   From a user standpoint the Line-In is selected and played as any other source — regardless of the box hosting the Line-In jacks.

There is one feature that you may not have discovered. “Autoplay” can be enabled for a Line-In or TV. This will enable the user to simply start playing a record and the audio will play in a preset Room.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state: “When it added AMP to the app, it added it to living room 2 instead of living room where my ARC is (no idea why)."

In Sonos a room is a speaker or a fixed set of speakers, not a real room (as it is in Google Home). You cannot place just anything in a Sonos Room - though you could have added the Amp as surrounds to your Arc, but then you would have lost the ability to connect the turntable. 

So you've done the right thing by putting the Amp in it's own room. Now your using a Sonos Amp to work as a Sonos Port (essentially an Amp without speakers). May I ask why?

You state: “When it added AMP to the app, it added it to living room 2 instead of living room where my ARC is (no idea why)."

In Sonos a room is a speaker or a fixed set of speakers, not a real room (as it is in Google Home). You cannot place just anything in a Sonos Room - though you could have added the Amp as surrounds to your Arc, but then you would have lost the ability to connect the turntable. 

So you've done the right thing by putting the Amp in it's own room. Now your using a Sonos Amp to work as a Sonos Port (essentially an Amp without speakers). May I ask why?

Because Sonos sales support told me i needed the AMP product to connect my record player to my ARC. That was a costly piece of bad information they gave me. 

Line-In is simply a music source on the network. While Line-In lives in the same box as AMP/PORT/FIVE, Line-In is not automatically passed through as one might expect from a traditional hifi.   From a user standpoint the Line-In is selected and played as any other source — regardless of the box hosting the Line-In jacks.

There is one feature that you may not have discovered. “Autoplay” can be enabled for a Line-In or TV. This will enable the user to simply start playing a record and the audio will play in a preset Room.

good tip on the autoplay. thanks man