Question

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

• 19 February 2015
  • 91 replies

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

I have had my Sonos product for over a year and everything worked great. For some reason now I cannot hear sound from my Samsung Smart TV (UN65JU7100) through the Sound bar and my two play 1 speakers. I can play music (E.g. Pandora) from my phone and sound comes from all the speakers. I unplugged the soundbar and it did not make a difference. The optical cable attached to the Samsung one connect mini to the Soundbar has a Red light. I even tried using a high end optical cable (new) and it didn't change anything. The TV plays audio from the TV speakers but when I change it to audio out/optical to hear the TV sound through the sound bar nothing happens. Diagnostics # 7593421. Please advise what I need to do.

Have you resolved this issue? My tv and Sonos system has done the same thing after a Sonos firmware update. I had to change my tv setting to PCM instead of Dolby Digital and I now have sound but unfortunately only in Stereo. I no longer have Dolby Digital 5.1 when I watch tv (Cable, Netflix, Blu-Ray). I hope a fix will be coming out soon because this is annoying...

Exactly same problem here, after update to 7.4 this happens. Some tv channels plays fine, but some won't. Have problems with my Apple TV too. If I set to pcm everything works. But want did 5.1, I guess there is something wrong with the update. Before everything worked fine
I have had my Sonos product for over a year and everything worked great. For some reason now I cannot hear sound from my Samsung Smart TV (UN65JU7100) through the Sound bar and my two play 1 speakers. I can play music (E.g. Pandora) from my phone and sound comes from all the speakers. I unplugged the soundbar and it did not make a difference. The optical cable attached to the Samsung one connect mini to the Soundbar has a Red light. I even tried using a high end optical cable (new) and it didn't change anything. The TV plays audio from the TV speakers but when I change it to audio out/optical to hear the TV sound through the sound bar nothing happens. Diagnostics # 7593421. Please advise what I need to do.

Have you resolved this issue? My tv and Sonos system has done the same thing after a Sonos firmware update. I had to change my tv setting to PCM instead of Dolby Digital and I now have sound but unfortunately only in Stereo. I no longer have Dolby Digital 5.1 when I watch tv (Cable, Netflix, Blu-Ray). I hope a fix will be coming out soon because this is annoying...

Exactly same problem here, after update to 7.4 this happens. Some tv channels plays fine, but some won't. Have problems with my Apple TV too. If I set to pcm everything works. But want did 5.1, I guess there is something wrong with the update. Before everything worked fine

Same here (diagnostic no. 7753793). Both the sound from the tv optical and xbox one optical stopped working after the update. Changed the sound settings on the tv and xbox to PCM and stereo and the sound's back.
Userlevel 1
Badge
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index3.html

Come join the "fun" here if your SONOS system stopped working after the latest update...
Having the same issue and SONOS has no fix as of right now. I can't believe this!!!!
It's very upsetting to have invested all this money and now I can't enjoy my system, I have to switch to PCM and it sounds like crap!!!!
7760436 No sound when connect to TV. The red light was visible when unplugged from the sound bar. It works after digital Audio cable reconnected, however, when I changed to a new video clip the sound stopped so I've got to unplug it again. It works for only one video clip( I'm watching YouTube from Samsung UA55MU6100S)
Userlevel 1
Badge
You may be dealing with a known issue that is being discussed here: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/playbar-surrounds-sub-audio-repeatedly-cutting-out-6788873
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
7760436 No sound when connect to TV. The red light was visible when unplugged from the sound bar. It works after digital Audio cable reconnected, however, when I changed to a new video clip the sound stopped so I've got to unplug it again. It works for only one video clip( I'm watching YouTube from Samsung UA55MU6100S)

You may be dealing with a known issue that is being discussed here: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/playbar-surrounds-sub-audio-repeatedly-cutting-out-6788873

RXM is correct, looks like you're running into that issue from the other thread. I've gone ahead and created a ticket for you for tracking purposes on our end. When the issue has been resolved, we'll be emailing you to let you in on the next steps. We'll be in touch.

If anyone else has trouble with PLAYBAR not playing audio, let's use the other thread, this one. That way we can keep everything in one place.

Thanks!
Similar issues here. I can play music, but TV is spotty. Tried a movie on Amazon, silence for a few minutes, then sound was fine. Swapped over to YouTube, then back to Amazon, sound is gone. On YouTube, I get all of the menu sounds (e.g. Scroll, select), but vids play with no sound. Diagnostic is 7769980.
Hi there, we are experiencing the same issue. No tv sound, but can play music. Heres our diagnostic number: 7784303
I'd recommend that you post your issue in this thread, it seems to be getting more traffic, and thus more attention:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Please submit a diagnostic: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/~/submit-system-diagnostic Note down the diagnostic number and post it back here. A sonos rep will look into it.

I just started having the same problem. Power cycling has not restored TV audio to my PLAYBAR.
My diagnostic number is 7795898
Having the same issue. Power cycling has not worked, optic cable is working, and changing SonosNet Channel had no effect. My diagnostic number is 7833874. Thanks.
You may want to post that diagnostic number in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Having the same issue. Power cycling has not worked, optic cable is working, and changing SonosNet Channel had no effect. My diagnostic number is 7833874. Thanks.
I've flagged your account for the beta, go ahead and check for updates for the fix.

_____
I'm going to close this thread now, if anyone has this issue and finds their way here, please go to the link here.