Question

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

• 19 February 2015
  • 91 replies

Our sonos playbar all of a sudden stopped playing the TV sound. Still can played over but not TV sound nor DVD nor Apple TV. Please help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Please submit a diagnostic: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/~/submit-system-diagnostic Note down the diagnostic number and post it back here. A sonos rep will look into it.
The number is: 4372210. Many thanks in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Looks like that diagnostic didn't get submitted fully and came through corrupted. This can sometimes happen due to network latency among other reasons.

I'd like to get some more information on the setup there and what exactly is happening.

Where is the PLAYBAR connected? Are you able to get sound from it when you play music, if so what sources?

What kind of TV are you using?

If just the TV input on the PLAYBAR doesn't work, make sure the optical cable is still connected on both sides. It's good to unplug the connection and check that the light is on by shining the end against a piece of paper or the wall. Make sure not to look into the cable. If the light isn't on, the cable might not be connected to a source outputting any data, or the cable could be going bad.
The light is still coming out of the optic cable. The playbar is under the TV which is hanging from the wall. It is a Samsung. Pls note it was working fine till yesterday evening. I'll send a new diagnostics tonite. Music from my sonos library is playing but only starts on the second song I select not the first one. Both Apple TV as well as our DVDs player don't give a sound anymore.
Hello, problem is solved. We disconnected and connected power. Thanks for your help.
Hello, problem is solved. We disconnected and connected power. Thanks for your help.

Hi there - sonos user here. My problem was virtually identical and I followed the thread here. When I unplugged and plugged in
the power cable it solved my problem too - many thanks for sharing.
Badge
I am having the identical problem but after power cycling the playbar has disappeared from the Sonos app and I cannot seem to get it to connect again.
Badge
I am having the identical problem but after power cycling the playbar has disappeared from the Sonos app and I cannot seem to get it to connect again.

Doh! The power cable came loose. All is well now after restart.
I'm having this issue, but power cycling didn't help. Diagnostics number is 6135409. Thanks
I had the same issue, it worked fine for several weeks then suddenly stopped working. I could play music but TV audio wasn't working. Power cycling didn't help. I submitted a diagnostic, but lost the number when I had to reset my password 😞. On a whim, I changed the audio output on my TV from Dolby Digital to PCM and it started working. Then I was able to go back to Dolby Digital and it still worked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm having this issue, but power cycling didn't help. Diagnostics number is 6135409. Thanks

Hi Adamkraft03,

It looks like there is quite a bit of wireless interference showing up which could explain the playback issues you're having. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using, here's how.

You can also check around and in between your Sonos units for third party wireless devices which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include wireless baby monitors, cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless TVs and wireless printers. You can try moving any such device away from your Sonos units or power them off temporarily and see if things improve.
I have the same issue. Tried the power cycle, and didn't work. I can play music, but TV doesn't work anymore. Diagnostic #6411969. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same issue. Tried the power cycle, and didn't work. I can play music, but TV doesn't work anymore. Diagnostic #6411969. Thank you!

Hi Hlautersztein,

The PLAYBAR isn't detecting any signal from the optical cable. Please try removing the cable from the PLAYBAR while your TV is on. Do you see a red light? Normally you should see a red light if your TV is sending audio out the optical output. You can try unplugging the cable from your TV as well, then plug it back in to make sure its fully inserted.

If there is still no light, please check your TV's settings to ensure that it is outputting through the optical port.

If there is a light, please plug the cable back in to your PLAYBAR and see if it can play. If not, please send in a new diagnostic report while your TV is on and reply with the confirmation number.
My TV stopped playing through my play bar yesterday. I have tried unplugging it and nothing is working . My diagnostic # 6545188 please
I am having the same issue. No sound. Light is visible. Diag code is 6546928. Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My TV stopped playing through my play bar yesterday. I have tried unplugging it and nothing is working . My diagnostic # 6545188 please
Can you please tell me which PLAYBAR you are referencing? Which one is presenting the issue?

I am having the same issue. No sound. Light is visible. Diag code is 6546928. Thank you
Have you checked the connections on the optical lead? Are you able to play anything else through the PLAYBAR?
My sound at nor any of my speakers will play any sound from the tv or blue ray player. My diagnostics code is 6693856.
Badge
Hi,

My TV sound stopped suddenly. Music plays normally. There is a red light at the end of the optic cable. The cable goes from my blu ray player to the sound bar. Have tried powering down..reinstalled everything..still not sound

My diagnostic code is 6704217

Please help.

Sandeep
@OSUKrazyKate, welcome to our forums and thanks for providing the diagnostic. The report is showing at least 3 of your rooms (2 PLAY:1s, and 1 PLAY:5) as "unnamed", which means they've somehow lost their configuration settings.

Additionally the PLAYBAR is showing only a SUB attached to it, and no rear speakers. You should probably start by reconfiguring these players, or rebonding the PLAY:1s to the PLAYBAR, then testing audio.

@sandeep Thanks for providing the diagnostic code. Your system appears to be communicating correctly, and the PLAYBAR is showing that it's receiving a stereo signal.

The cable goes from my blu ray player to the sound bar.

If this is the case, you will only receive audio from your Blu Ray player. In order for you to receive audio from your TV, the PLAYBAR needs to be wired to it.
Badge
Hi Manny,

Sorry I did not make it clearer..My cable TV set top box goes to my blu ray player (HDMI in)...the HDMI out from my blu-ray is connected to the TV..the TV audio is off. Another optical cable connects the bluray player to playbar.

This system has been working fine for past two years. It just stopped suddenly two nights ago.

Thank you.
Sandeep
Badge
Also there is no audio when I play a bluray disc.

Cheers,
Sandeep
Badge
I also noticed that when I click on 'About my sonos',..the auio in for the playbar shows: Silence.

Sandeep
Sorry I did not make it clearer..My cable TV set top box goes to my blu ray player (HDMI in)...the HDMI out from my blu-ray is connected to the TV..the TV audio is off. Another optical cable connects the bluray player to playbar.

No worries, Sandeep. Generally we expect to see your HDMI devices connected to your TV via separate HDMI ports, and the PLAYBAR connected to the TV via digital optical cable. This being said, the PLAYBAR should still be able to pass any audio signal it receives. If you are seeing "Silence" for the audio source, the PLAYBAR is not detecting a signal from whatever source it's plugged into. This may be due to a bad optical connection, or a problem with the source.

I'd recommend plugging the optical cable into another source (TV, cable/satellite box, Xbox), to see if you can get audio from a source other than your Blu-ray player. This will also confirm that the PLAYBAR and optical cable are receiving signals correctly.
I am having same problem as original question and power reboot does not help. The optical plug is fine / brand new. I bought the playbar this morning and the TV worked through the bar for a few hours and then stopped. Wireless traffic should not impact the TV sound since hard wired in. Diagnostics 6283036
Correction: 6823064