Answered

One subwoofer for two rooms?

• 3 June 2023
  • 8 replies

I am renovating a house and will have a family room with a surround sound setup ( Arc + 2 Era 300s + Subwoofer Gen 3).  The living room is separated from the family room by a thick wall. I was planning on using two era 300 speakers in the family room primarily for use as a stereo setup. I was wondering if I could place the Subwoofer in the wall separating the two rooms and depending on which room I was in, have the subwoofer provide the bass for either room.  If this would work I would place the subwoofer between studs and finish the wall by installing a grill with speaker cloth to hide the subwoofer.  

Would this work?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 June 2023, 23:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I would just add a second Sub, as otherwise you will have to move the sub in the Sonos App between the two rooms and retune the room each time. if using Trueplay.

It’s much easier to add a second Sub.

Thanks for the feedback.  Couldn’t I just set up each room independently?  e.g. Family room set up for surround sound with the sub, and a separate setupp for living room with the 2 era 300s and the sub?

So if someone is watching TV in the family room - you want the Sub .LFE channel to (also) play in the Living Room, or vice versa (despite having a dividing wall)? - personally I would keep the two rooms separate and add a Sub to either, or both, rooms. …or just knock the wall through and create one much larger room instead. I don’t think what you’re proposing is going to work well in any circumstances.

SUB can only be assigned to a single Room. Operationally, you’d need to remove SUB from the first Room, then add it to the other Room. This will become an unwanted, burdensome task after a few hours.

While probably not approaching the cost of a second SUB, there is an expense associated with building the dual exposure box. And, there will be some expense closing up that box in the future after you decide that you no longer can put up with the system reconfiguration chore.

Ok, i have a couple of other relatively high end powered subwoofers (B&W).  Is there a connect product that would allow me to use that subwoofer with the Era300s in the Living room?

Ok, i have a couple of other relatively high end powered subwoofers (B&W).  Is there a connect product that would allow me to use that subwoofer with the Era300s in the Living room?

Only the Sonos Port and Amp have the ability to output to 3rd party ‘active’ Subwoofers, but personally speaking, I think you would be better off picking up a ‘used’, or refurbished, Sonos Sub, or Sub-Mini. The Era 300’s sound pretty good on their own anyway with a good low frequency response, but I guess there’s always room for a Sub with any sound system.

If you absolutely need to use the B&W’s for some emotional reason, you could Group a PORT, with the 300’s in the second room. This would make noise, but there would be no crossover for the B&W. And, there will be mild user/operator annoyances for guests. Be sure to compare the cost of adding a PORT to the cost of adding a SUB. Don’t attempt this stunt with ARC and the TV.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am renovating a house and will have a family room with a surround sound setup ( Arc + 2 Era 300s + Subwoofer Gen 3).  The living room is separated from the family room by a thick wall. I was planning on using two era 300 speakers in the family room primarily for use as a stereo setup. I was wondering if I could place the Subwoofer in the wall separating the two rooms and depending on which room I was in, have the subwoofer provide the bass for either room.  If this would work I would place the subwoofer between studs and finish the wall by installing a grill with speaker cloth to hide the subwoofer.  

Would this work?

I wonder it is good to add a Sub mini instead… it should sound better and system have no conflicts too…