No Dolby Digital 5.1 with Netflix through Chromecast

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Just leave that as ‘DD & Passthrough’ that should work okay.

What are the settings that you have on the extractor/splitter? Is is Arc switched ‘off’ and ‘5.1 output’ through its optical port?

Badge

Yes, Arc is off and ‘5.1 output’ is on on the splitter. What’s more, in one HDMI input I have the Fire Tv, in the other I have my cable box connected - for the former I’m getting PCM stereo, for the latter: 5.1. 

Yes, Arc is off and ‘5.1 output’ is on on the splitter. What’s more, in one HDMI input I have the Fire Tv, in the other I have my cable box connected - for the former I’m getting PCM stereo, for the latter: 5.1. 

I’m afraid that doesn’t make sense to me, as both devices should work … perhaps try this...

Power off all devices (not standby) and just uncable the HDMI lead from the TV then power on the devices in this order:

• Beam
  • Switch/Extractor
  • Cable TV
  • Fire TV

let those devices settle, then plug in the HDMI cable to the TV and power it on last of all.
Play a 5.1 audio movie from both your fire-stick and your cable TV before playing any stereo audio to see if it then sets up the devices correctly. If no joy then speak with the switch/extractor support desk to see if they can suggest anything further that may assist to get all the inputs working with surround audio.

Badge

I know it does not much sense to me either. Perhaps the only reasonable explanation is Fire TV is not doing the good job passing through DD?

Anyway, I followed the procedure exactly and no joy. I also tried various HDMI inputs on the switch - no change: 5.1 sound from the cable box, PCM stereo from Fire TV. Apart from Nextflix I also played some 5.1 test clips in YouTube - same thing

What’s interesting is when I choose DD+ Passthrough option I’m not getting any sound (obviously)  but the movie page on Netflix shows 5.1 logo. When I choose DD Passthrough the logo does not show

I’m not sure @kiur🤔 I honestly expected the FireTV to just work when set to Dolby Digital.

Does the cable TV work in any of the switches HDMI ports by the way?

Badge

I tried all the input HDMI ports in the switch - cable TV works fine in any of them, Fire TV doesn’t

I don’t know the answer I’m sorry to say. Perhaps see what Amazon Support may have to say about the fireTV stick and explain your setup to them. I have two fireTV sticks here and they both output Dolby Digital 5.1 to my Beam/Arc devices, but mine are both connected direct to the TV, rather than bypassing the TV with a switch/extractor, but by all accounts that shouldn’t make any difference whatsoever, particularly as you are getting DD5.1 from your cable TV that’s connected in exactly the same way.

Badge

Thanks for your help @Ken_Griffiths really appreciate it

I’vew had enough of support calls, experimenting and bothering you guys, my setup is simply not working. I’m giving up on Beam and will get a soundbar that has more surround sound standards support as well as more inputs so that I don’t have deal with HDMI switches. Unfortunately that means I’m giving up on Sonos completely as Arc does not fulfill those requirements either. My next choice will probably be either Harman Kardon Enchant 800 or 1300 or Sony HT-X8500 or HT-G700

It’s a shame as I really like the sound of it for music as well as the functionality of the app

kiur,

You mentioned a little earlier in the thread, that you are using a Panasonic plasma ST60 from 2013 and it can only play stereo 2.0 audio. I can’t see how you will get any soundbar to work with DD5.1 audio with that TV unless you also use a switch/extractor of some sort ...and if it can play that type of Dolby audio codec to the chosen Soundbar/Receiver, then it should also work for the Beam.

Iikewise if you wanted a Soundbar to play the DD+ codec, you might find that the Sonos Arc would be better Soundbar anyway for its price.

If you were going to exchange anything, I would maybe consider focusing on the old TV. I think that perhaps might be the better option for you and remove the audio extractor out of the equation altogether. A TV that has HDMI-eARC and support for all the codecs DD5.1/DD+ (Atmos)/Dolby TrueHD (Atmos) seems to me to be a more sensible purchase option than getting a different type of Soundbar, which likely will present you with the same audio problems you’re experiencing at the moment.

Badge

Is that really the case? What if I get a soundbar with some more HDMI inputs? Shouldn’t that fix the problem with the lack of DD passthrough in my TV?

Is that really the case? What if I get a soundbar with some more HDMI inputs? Shouldn’t that fix the problem with the lack of DD passthrough in my TV?

Yes, maybe that would work. I hope you find an answer that gets things sorted for you.

Badge

No, but seriously. Can you (or someone) please address this newbie question. I uderstand If I have a device (like cable box or Fire TV stick) connected to an input HDMI port of the soundbar and the HDMI output from the soundbar will be connected to the HDMI in the tv, the soundbar will play the audio it gets from the HDMI input and pass the video to the TV? So it will not matter completely if my TV is capable of playing given surround sound standardor not? 

No, but seriously. Can you (or someone) please address this newbie question. I uderstand If I have a device (like cable box or Fire TV stick) connected to an input HDMI port of the soundbar and the HDMI output from the soundbar will be connected to the HDMI in the tv, the soundbar will play the audio it gets from the HDMI input and pass the video to the TV? So it will not matter completely if my TV is capable of playing given surround sound standardor not? 

Maybe see this YT video. I would go the same route too, personally speaking. 

Normally the TV is at the centre of the Home Theatre setup as it is the controlling Hub - that’s why I suggested you may want to consider the suggestion of upgrading the TV instead, but of course the decision is entirely yours.

Normally both the audio and video from any A/V input device travels to the TV and the audio returns over the ARC (audio return channel) or out through the TV’s optical port to the Soundbar/Receiver for playback in lip-sync with the video on-screen - but you may have to research your chosen Soundbar to see how it handles the audio. I suspect the TV may still present you with the same issue… that’s why an extractor/splitter is often used by many, to try to bypass the TV altogether… the audio is extracted from the playing A/V source to play the audio direct to the Soundbar/Receiver.

I still honestly can’t see why your extractor/switch is not working with the FireTV when set to Dolby digital audio output, that’s why I think you should still perhaps give Amazon Support a call first - you have an A/V source (the cable TV Box) that works fine for that type of audio and that box is connected to the same extractor/switch- so I would just ask them why the stick is not outputting the DD5.1 audio in the same way?

I can understand why the Chromecast device didn’t work as there are reports online that it only supports the DD+ codec and not DD5.1 so that makes sense to me, but the Fire TV stick does support DD5.1 as far as I’m aware, well my two devices do. So perhaps give them a call… it may save you forking out money for no reason.