No audio from Sonos Port digital output - "PCM Zero" signal.

• 29 March 2023
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Folks, my Sonos Port is plugged in to a Lyngdorf amplifier via digital coax and has worked fine since I set it up initially. However, I’m not hearing any sound from the Port now, and the amp says it’s receiving a “PCM Zero” signal - it was fine on Sunday but no sound from any source on via the Port now. Has an update changed something? Any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Corry P 11 months ago

Hi @only_sleeping et al

We now consider this issue fully resolved. If anyone is still experiencing problems, I recommend they get in touch with our technical support team. 

Thank you for your patience.

View original

49 replies

Badge +3

[very, very long time Sonos user here with about a dozen devices. Also, a past beta tester that would have been happy to report this problem if I had been included in the update.]

Same here. First did all of the usual cable testing. Then I spent 2 hours driving to a buddy’s place today to try the Port with his system because I thought it was my Meridian system and I don’t have a spare system lying around that accepts digital coax inputs (because the optical output is mysteriously gone from the Port). And then a 1.5 hour chat with support - who concluded that I needed to buy a new Port. When I asked for the issue to be escalated, the tech came back and said it was a known issue… so I found this thread.

I should have looked here first… but really? Sonos broke the digital output and even the techs are not all aware of it?

Sonos - please make sure all of your tech support people are aware that if calls come in about the digital output of the Port that they save everyone hours of time and share that it is a software issue and a new device purchase is not required.

Also “No ETA” is not helpful. Is this going to take days? Weeks? How will I get updates about what is going on? Clearly I can’t use my device now… 

When I pointed out the error, it was played back as a misunderstanding. Case 04858896 if anyone wants to read the transcript.

Userlevel 5

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience. We've (literally) just deployed a software update that should resolve this issue. Please check for updates in the Sonos App, and once your Port has been updated, the issue should no longer occur (your port will have build 72.2-39316 (Port)). 
If the issue still occurs, please contact our support team, and we will of course look into it.

I can confirm the new build works. I hate to state the obvious, but consider adding a regression test.

Badge +3

Confirmed...fixed!!! PCM != Zero.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The update did not work for me - I just spoke to ‘support’ who suggested that the update to build 72.2-39316 only solves the problem for some Ports and that they are still investigating the issue.   The words used were

“They are still working on the fix, they noticed that for some of the Ports the update works. And for others the analog output is currently a workaround.”

So it just depends on whether you are feeling lucky…………….

My Sonos port still has failing SPDIF out but analog works fine. I have build 72.2-39316. Hardware version is 1.29.1.7-2.2. Series ID is A100.

I am happy to submit a diagnostic or provide serial number to Sonos engineering privately if it helps debug. I also could send the unit in to help the cause...

Userlevel 5

Hi all, Thanks again for your patience. We're sorry to hear some of you are still experiencing this issue, despite having updated Sonos Port since my last post. If you could please share a diagnostic here in the topic, or in a DM to me, I'll make sure that they get to the engineering team for further investigation. Thank you. 

Diagnostic 213161996

Userlevel 5

Diagnostic 213161996

Hi Svosseller, Thanks for the diagnostic! Could you please check if your amp is back to the "original" settings from before the bug? We fully expect that anyone affected by this may have changed settings, cables etc before the software release yesterday.

Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi 

My diagnostic number is 834409299.

I have checked the amp and cable by simply removing the coax cable from the Port and plugging into an old Connect (S1 system).  Everything then works as it should.  So it is definately the digital output from the Port that has the problem still.  The amp does detect the Port as the Port boots up (display changes from ‘no input’ to 44.1khz).  But no sound.    Immediatly before the update to build 72.2-39316 the display was ‘not valid’, so the update changed something.  The analogue outputs from the Port still work.

I have switched to/from analog and swapped cables to rule out an amp issue or a cable issue. The problem remains. The sound I get is like digital noise when on the coaxial digital output/input. It worked without issue before the update. Analog still works fine.

I switched to digital and did another diagnostic in case that helps. 133030972

Hi, I did figure out a workaround until Sonos properly fix the issue. If you goto the app, and then the Port settings. Goto the sound and then volume limit. It probably is OFF, but set it too 20, or 25. That should fix the issue.

Obviously this will effect the analog output of the port as well …. so its only a workaround.

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience. We've (literally) just deployed a software update that should resolve this issue. Please check for updates in the Sonos App, and once your Port has been updated, the issue should no longer occur (your port will have build 72.2-39316 (Port)). 
If the issue still occurs, please contact our support team, and we will of course look into it.

Yes, this fix didn’t work for me. Just have the same issue. Still broken. 

Hi all, Thanks again for your patience. We're sorry to hear some of you are still experiencing this issue, despite having updated Sonos Port since my last post. If you could please share a diagnostic here in the topic, or in a DM to me, I'll make sure that they get to the engineering team for further investigation. Thank you. 

diagnostic number 1122505657

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Ditte

I have sent a couple of diagnostics over the past few days and responded to one of your engineers via email.  It would be good to know when the issue is likely to be fixed - can you let us know please?

The volume limit workaround suggested by @ilogixaw above made no difference for me anyway  - still silence when the digital output from the Port is selected whilst the analogue output still works normally.  

Thank you.

I thought there was a problem with my system until I found this thread. 

However, this update didn’t work for me.  I still have to use the Analog output for now.

Unfortunately, that’s not the only issue I’m having.

I can’t seem to stream properly thru the Sonos app to the Port.  I can start a stream but the stream stops after about 30 seconds.  Sometimes it stops earlier if I play with the volume settings.

I can stream directly to my Move speaker which is in the same room but if I add the Port so that it outputs to my audio system, it stops.

All other functions with the Port work properly.  I can use the Line In for my CD player and turntable without any issues. 

I thought there was a problem with my system until I found this thread. 

However, this update didn’t work for me.  I still have to use the Analog output for now.

Unfortunately, that’s not the only issue I’m having.

I can’t seem to stream properly thru the Sonos app to the Port.  I can start a stream but the stream stops after about 30 seconds.  Sometimes it stops earlier if I play with the volume settings.

I can stream directly to my Move speaker which is in the same room but if I add the Port so that it outputs to my audio system, it stops.

All other functions with the Port work properly.  I can use the Line In for my CD player and turntable without any issues. 

I may have spoken too quickly.  I just tried using the digital output and it is now working.

It seems to have stabilized my streaming issue as well although it did stop on me once when I was adjusting the volume.  So it may be intermittent.  Maybe it’s a bigger issue when using Analog output. 

I’ll do some more testing when I get a chance.

I’ve been frustrated by this too, spent a good while swapping components and trying to troubleshoot before I found this thread. Hopeful this is fixed soon, analog out is not an option for me so this has me without music in one of my systems. 

diagnostic : 1855675110

Userlevel 1
Badge

The update to Version: 15.3 (build 72240060) today has fixed the issue for me - digital output now working again after several weeks of not working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @only_sleeping et al

We now consider this issue fully resolved. If anyone is still experiencing problems, I recommend they get in touch with our technical support team. 

Thank you for your patience.

It only works on variable.

On fix and pass through the stream starts correctly for a few milliseconds and then turns into static noise. I tested this on two different Ports. Any fix to that?

What did the technical support team mentioned in the post previous to yours say?

I have the same issue with my KEF LS50 Wireless II setup. Bought it today. I wanted to be able to group them in the Sonos ecosystem, when I feel like it. Only option is coaxial digital, so no analog option as a fallback possible.