Skip to main content

TL;dr - Force quit the Sonos app and Reboot the iOS device. App should work again. 

This morning my iPhone Sonos app will not connect to services or allow me to play some music sources. No Amazon sources are available. When I visit settings - Services & Voice i get a white screen and popup saying “Network Problem Detected - Check internet connection and try again.” Re-opening the app would lead to an immediate crash/quit. Problem effects only one device running iOS 16. Other devices in the home are on 15.7.

I found the same problem when iOS 13.something was released:

I checked my DNS logs and found nothing relevant from the iPhone with the issue. So I tried rebooting the iPhone. While writing this up I noticed the iPhone had finished rebooting and found the Sonos app was now working. Seems like another Sonos release not quite right with a new iOS version.

Sonos App Network Error

Perhaps try disabling ‘Private Address’ MAC spoofing from the properties of the iPhone WiFi network connection. Switch off WiFi calling too and see if those things may help to resolve your issue.

Haha! I’m back here again with the same error and re-found my own post. This time I could use the Sonos app and stream Apple Music via Sonos, but no account settings, Amazon Music, or Sonos Radio. The problem was I’d forgotten a VPN was enabled on iPhone from the day prior (in case that helps anyone else). Strange that this didn’t completely confuse Sonos.app.

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for the suggestions, but I’d already posted my “fix.” This message means some kind of network wonkiness. Private MAC address was never enabled (there’s little point to enable on home network anyway--though it is the Apple default). I have a mix of devises in both states and it makes no difference to Sonos. There are many variations in network setups, so YMMV I guess.

The WiFi calling suggestion is a good troubleshooting step I hadn’t thought of.

Same issue with me - turned off Wi-Fi calling & disabled private address but one or more of 3 Sonos products on system keep disappearing and re-appearing. Very irritating when decide to turn up or down volume and skip a track etc as opening app shows only 1 random Sonos product on the system. Hopefully a future update of either Sonos app or iOS might sort out!? 

Speakers disappearing can also mean network problems.

Yes - spent 3 or 4 days talking to Sonos help last year after getting new router and sorted out network issues. This started happening as soon as updated to iOS 16.

Odd. I updated to iOS 16 as well, and it had no impact on either my wifi, or my Sonos. As it shouldn’t, it’s an OS update, not a network change.

Which leads me to wonder if there’s something odd about your iOS device’s connection to the LAN. I’d certainly power down (not just sleep) the iOS device, as well as unplug all your Sonos devices from power (just to be sure), and then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, give it 2 or 3 minutes, then power back on your Sonos devices, and once they’re back connected to your LAN, turn back on the power on your iOS device. 

There’s a lot of what you’re experiencing that leads me to the conclusion that you’re having IP address duplication issues. Which would evidence themselves as missing speakers, sometimes, and problems sending commands such as volume changes, and skipping music changes. 

In your last go around with Sonos, did they suggest to you that you may benefit from assigning all your network devices reserved IP addresses, so that they shouldn’t get duplicates from your router?

@phoward999300,

My Sonos controller iPhone XR / iPad are both running iOS/iPadOS 16.1 and not seeing any issues with the network. Maybe consider a ‘network reset’ on the iDevice and/or a Sonos App reset (in App preferences) and connect the controller back to the existing Sonos system only (do not create a new Sonos system).

See if doing those things may fix your issue.

Odd. I updated to iOS 16 as well, and it had no impact on either my wifi, or my Sonos. As it shouldn’t, it’s an OS update, not a network change.

Which leads me to wonder if there’s something odd about your iOS device’s connection to the LAN. I’d certainly power down (not just sleep) the iOS device, as well as unplug all your Sonos devices from power (just to be sure), and then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, give it 2 or 3 minutes, then power back on your Sonos devices, and once they’re back connected to your LAN, turn back on the power on your iOS device. 

There’s a lot of what you’re experiencing that leads me to the conclusion that you’re having IP address duplication issues. Which would evidence themselves as missing speakers, sometimes, and problems sending commands such as volume changes, and skipping music changes. 

In your last go around with Sonos, did they suggest to you that you may benefit from assigning all your network devices reserved IP addresses, so that they shouldn’t get duplicates from your router?

Thanks for this I’ll try all that after work today - last call with Sonos we did assign reserved IP addresses I think, we had Wi-Fi boosters around the house and Sonos was attaching to a different IP every few minutes as system is around the house. 

I’m not having any issues with iOS 16.1.

Just followed these steps and getting the same issues. Might be internet provider issue - will call them later this week.