Answered

Multiple Sonos Amps in one room

• 25 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi!

We're looking to install 6x outdoor speakers in the ceiling in an outdoor seeting area. We want to have these speakers amplified with three Sonos amps in one “room” with a third party subwoofer an amplifier. I heard that it's not possible to have more than two Sonos amps in one “room” configuration (so used as three stereo pairs together). Is this correct?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 January 2024, 12:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You’d want to set up each Amp as its own Sonos ‘room’ and then group them together for playback. The Sonos devices have no knowledge of physical space. 

You’d want to set up each Amp as its own Sonos ‘room’ and then group them together for playback. The Sonos devices have no knowledge of physical space. 

You definitely can do this, but...each Sonos amp can be connected to 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers, and from my experience, handles this just fine.   So that covers 4 of your 6 speakers.  You can also setup a 2nd amp bonded to the first to cover surround sound speakers.  Probably not what you want if playing TV audio, but for music sources, you can configure ‘full’ stereo, meaning the surround speakers play stereo just like the ‘front’ speakers do.  So now you have 6 (potentially 8) speakers playing off 2 amps bonded together for a single Sonos room.

Or, if you get the Sonance ceiling speaker packaged offered on this site, they are specially engineered to allow connecting 3 pair  to a single Sonos amp. I don’t think these speakers are rated for outdoor use though.  Or, you could get a 3rd party impedance matching speaker switch off of a single Sonos speaker.

So yes, this can definitely be done, and there are lots of ways to accomplish it.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had a tech come and install 6 speakers to one amp, utilizing impedance matching volume controls.