Answered

Incompatible software versions

• 16 February 2024
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2

After updating some speakers to a new wifi, my app suddenly won't allow me to add additional speakers saying "incompatible software versions". I'm on V16 (android) which is "up to date". So how do I regain control of my system?

icon

Best answer by buzz 21 February 2024, 08:30

View original

12 replies

Are you adding newly purchased speakers?  Which controller app are you using, S1 or S2 (Gold icon = S2, Grey icon = S1)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Make sure your phone app is up-to-date as well as the speakers themselves. 

Userlevel 2

I’m connecting 7 speakers of mixed vintage (4 Play1’s, Beam, Era 100, sub)  using the S2 app V16.0. (latest) and Sonos Boost. All speakers are S2 compatible. I don’t know how to update the speakers app version - is this necessary? Seems like a pretty dumb message on the phone app to just say “incompatible version” without offering a way of making the app and speakers compatible. I’ve already had big probs connecting up the 7 existing speakers as some (newer) speakers seem to attach to the router’s 5GHz and the rest to the 2.4GHz meaning I had 2 sepaarte systems (router won’t let me split SSIDs). So I decided to use Boost, to harmonise everything on SONOSNet 2.4 whereupon I get this stupid “incompatible” message. Duh 

Userlevel 7

Hi

The Era100’s don’t recognize the SonosNet. Having some Sonos on 5Ghz (probably the Era 100’s) and others on 2.4Ghz shouldn’t pose an issue unless there are different SSID’s for each band. Although you said (assuming from your wording) they are not split 🤔.

Did you recently purchase these speakers on the used market?  I’m wondering if some/all of those Play:1s are on the S1 system currently, and need to be upgraded to S2.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/update-from-s1-to-s2

Userlevel 2

No, I do also have 2x old Play5’s which I run on a sparate S1 system via a bridge (also s1), but all the other speakers have been converted to run with S2.

“The Era100’s don’t recognize the SonosNet” - thanks for this info. I note they don’t have a wired etherner port either. Note to Sonos - all these different quirks and standards are making a joke out of your product lines. If I’d known then what I know now, I wouldnt have touched your systems with my mate’s barge pole and certainly won’t be buying any more.

Anyway, thanks for this very useful feedback - Community 10, Sonos 0

While you are adding units to the S2 system, power down all of the S1 units. It would also be a good idea to force close S1 controllers. Once the S2 system is functioning, you can power up the S1 system.

I agree, this SONOS Long Term Support (LTS) is a joke. You buy speakers to be a life event - NOT planned Obsolescence.  Does SONOS really beleive that people are going to come back and buy additional speakers once THEY GET BURNED. LOL! 

I won’t be buying ANY more from this company.  And I will be recommending to ALL - don’t do it! through Social Media that they do NOT offer LTS. Why would you buy?

Can’t believe I spent the kind of money I did and they discontinued support.   Many people are complaining, you ****ed your customers.  Go broke Sonos, go broke.  To me, there is no reason for me to care, you dropped support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What are you on about? Sonos still supports devices sold in 2006, unlike other manufacturers, I might ad. You just can’t group them with newer stuff. And the thought that you would buy speakers as a life event, especially internet connected speakers, is, I’m sorry to say, just ridiculous.

Well, then they better train their people better After a 45 minute hold time, I was told told that Sonos  doesn’t support the Play:5 OS:VS1 - and there was no upgrade path to the newer Version(s) of the software. I own 4 speakers, one a subwoofer.  So, if you know something different, please provide some correct information/link that I can learn.

And yes. when I pay $1000.00 + for a system, I’d expect to get plenty of time with them.  The internet isn’t going away as best as I know, my computers of old still access the internet reliably - only speed changed. 

When I purchased these, I was able to tune them with their software; I haven’t found away to adapt them to a new environment.  As stated, I was told “no longer supported”.  They had an app that listened to the environment and you could overwrite it if desired too. 

Do they have old versions of the software still accessible? 

Not that I’m aware of. They can create updates to the current release if necessary, but to my knowledge don’t have older versions lying around to provide access to. 

You should be able to get the PLAY:5 gen 1 to the current version of S1, but it has neither the RAM, nor CPU that can run S2. It should, however, continue to function as when you purchased it, something I can’t say for my iPhone, as the carrier has turned off G3 as a signal on their towers. Nor can it run the later versions of iOS. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

All Play 5's are still supported, see https://support.sonos.com/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

Play 5 (Gen 1) speakers only do S1 firmware, but they do still receive safety updates (not new feautures though).