Answered

how to set up Sonos port with CA amp?

• 31 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello

I have recently purchased a Cambridge Audio AXA35 to go with my setup. Setup consists of:

2x Sonos One SLs

Sonos Port

Sony PS-LX310BT turntable

I want to play vinyl on my turntable through my Sonos speakers and be able to control the volume and settings through the Cambridge Audio AXA35. However I cannot figure out the optimum way of connecting all the various components to achieve what I want. I have the phono outputs from the turntable and an analogue RCA cable currently.

I am able to get sound by connecting the turntable output to the amplifier phono inputs, with the turntable set to “Phono". And then connecting the REC out to the In ports on the Sonos Port. However even with the line out set to “fixed" in the Sonos app I can still control the volume in the app and the volume controls and settings on the amp don't do anything.

I am not the most AV minded so grateful if someone could possibly advise where I'm going wrong…

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 April 2023, 16:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I might not be able to help but I will try. Do you have other audio equipment connected to the amp aside from the turntable, e.g. a CD player, TV etc. that you want to be able to play on your other Sonos speakers? If the turntable is the only other equipment you have you can connect the turntables audio cables to the analog (rca line in) input on the Sonos Port. Set the output selector on the back of the turntable to “line” (NOT phono). Use the extra rca cable to connect the analog audio out from the Port to an analog input on the Cambridge amp e.g. A1 (or whatever the inputs are called). Do NOT use phono input. 

In the Sonos app you should set the output volume to “fixed” and start with the output level at “line level” or something similar, don’t remember the exact wording, could be something like AV-equipment (later you can increase the output level to a level which does not distort the sound). 

When playing a record, choose the A1 (or the input you chose), not the phono, and choose line in as sound source in the Sonos app.

With this setup you are using the built in phono amp (riaa) in your turntable and you don’t have to change input on your Cambridge amp when playing from other sources e.g. Spotify on Sonos. 

However, I do not understand why fixed level did not work with your setup. But maybe you can try my suggested setup and give feedback if it worked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @samnealsmith 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I want to play vinyl on my turntable through my Sonos speakers and be able to control the volume and settings through the Cambridge Audio AXA35.

This is not possible. Although you can have your turntable plugged into the amplifier and the output of the amplifier (REC) plugged into your Port, the volume control on the amplifier only comes into effect after the line-level output has been “exported” to the Port, so it cannot possibly alter the volume of what is played from your Sonos system.

Note that the source selector on the amplifier comes before the output to REC and the final amplification stage, therefore that will work to change the source being fed to the Sonos Port.

To control the volume on Sonos, you will instead need to use the volume control on your Sonos app, the physical volume controls on a Sonos speaker, or command the volume change via a digital voice assistant installed on a compatible device.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did recently learn of devices called “line level converters” that can take the speaker output of an amplifier and reduce the signal down to the level that can then be fed into an RCA input like that found on the Port. This is not supported by Sonos, and, improperly done, could damage your Sonos Port and/or the amplifier. The use of such a device would, however, allow the results you seek. Sonos cannot accept any responsibility for any damage caused by doing so - do so at your own risk!

I hope this helps.