How to Connect External Devices to New Sonos System??

• 16 April 2024
  • 6 replies

I have totally dove into the Sonos World and so far I love it. Im an older guy who still loves his collection of Vinyl, CDs and Yes, even Cassettes. Can I connect these items seamlessly ??  I do have the Port, Era, 300 and Sub. What else do I need?? Can I buy a separate AVR/Amplifier and connect them to the port, (and then I can even use the AM/FM radio stations)??  Or do I buy a switching device and then select which device I want to play?? This wireless stuff is kinda confusing … I have even been thinking of paying someone to hook it all up correctly. I can buy the stuff myself and let them do the hard stuff…  Thanks for ANY advice !!!

6 replies

If you have a traditional analog receiver, you can connect PORT as if it is a cassette deck. Note that analog input to PORT is delayed by 75ms. This is not an issue unless you have speakers connected to the receiver and are also playing input from the receiver (through PORT) on a nearby SONOS unit.

You may need to think through this a bit, but you can eliminate this delay if you operate the PORT as if it is a 3-head cassette deck. You can then use the “tape monitor” function of the receiver when playing through the receiver’s speakers and wash out the delay.

If you don’t already have a receiver, a simpler solution would be an analog multi-input switch. Of course this switch will know nothing about AM/FM radio, but most stations now have an online component that you can access through the SONOS system. The down side of online radio is that some sports events are not available online.

I don't have a AVR at this point. I was trying to figure out how to connect  all 3 devices the easiest, hence think using a NEW AVR along with my PORT… By getting an AVR, I could also access the AM/FM stations w/o streaming and as you pointed out not lose Local Sports broadcasts.  But Im looking for easiest, mostly.  I just wanna use my new Sonos system and the added devices.  I hope it make some sense.. 

I listen to ‘local sports broadcasts’ (KNBR Major League Baseball, the SF Giants) using iHeart radio on my Sonos. Most often, it is just a matter of figuring out which streaming companies has paid the fee to be allowed to stream those local teams. 

I used to use TuneIn, as they had paid MLB for the rights, but they stopped, and it took me a bit of searching to find the games on iHeart (and of course, the rest of their streaming, not just the games, but that’s what I listen to).

I used to look around for the radio stream of F1, but now that I’m back in the states, I watch the  SkySports broadcast on ESPN. Many years ago, when I was in Bangkok, it was impossible to find an English broadcast, my Thai was not good enough for the local TV broadcasts. 

Take care if you purchase a new, current receiver because many of them will not include a tape monitor feature because tape decks are considered too old fashioned. The receiver may offer “Monitor” output. You could use this to feed PORT’s Input. Feeding PORT’s Output to the receiver will be quirky and probably not worth the effort for most users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Not quite what you want, phono and one RCA / one 3.5 inputs and unnecessary tone controls.

https://www.amazon.com/Bellari-Audio-PA550-Preamplifier/dp/B07FDQ424Y/ref=sr_1_14

Search out an ACTIVE pre-amp with a phono-in and the number of switched inputs you need.

Personally I’d rip (lossless like FLAC) all your digital stuff to a NAS and feed that to your Sonos, leaving you only needing to support your analog gear.