HDMI ARC conflict with bluetooth 2 years and still no solution!!!

• 24 February 2023
  • 16 replies

This topic is 2 years ago !

And the solution proposed is to switch off every time the CEC control on TV or add a switch??? 

The ARC costs 1000€ !!! 

The problem is that if I choose to listen the TV on headphones or TV speakers, the ARC overtakes destination and the sound go only from ARC.
The problem is known by SONOS and for over two years!

When you can solve the problem???

16 replies

What do you want Sonos to do about it?  Put in some sort of button/switch in the app to stop communicating to your TV via CEC, so your TV will send audio to bluetooth?  What if you want to have audio on the Arc and bluetooth at the same time?  Wouldn’t it make more sense to ask your TV manufacturer to put in controls so you can easily tell it where you want to send audio?

Hi Melvimbe, I don't know if you are a SONOS technician or a user.

However I would like the use bluetooth headphones like with all the other devices I've had.
If I want to listen the TV ONLY in Bluetooth headphones, I connect them to the TV, select audio output from the TV to it and they must remain connected, but now with ARC connected via HDMI Arc, the output come back automatically to Sonos ARC.
Does it seems correct to you? Why it’s work with all other manufacturers?
I don't want any buttons, I want that the Soundbar not reassigning the audio output by itself.
This is a SONOS ARC problem, because happen also if I choose the TV speakers.

It’s clear now?

Please SONOS technician answer me.

SONOS staff are clearly identified as such.

ARC cannot tell the TV what to do, it only can announce that it is using the HDMI audio connection and the TV might react to this.

It’s possible that the system will operate more to your satisfaction if you disable CEC in the TV or insert a CEC defeat into the HDMI connection between TV and ARC. CEC has various trade names for TV manufacturers. Note if you do this, you will likely want to enable IR control of ARC’s Volume.

Hi Melvimbe, I don't know if you are a SONOS technician or a user.

However I would like the use bluetooth headphones like with all the other devices I've had.
If I want to listen the TV ONLY in Bluetooth headphones, I connect them to the TV, select audio output from the TV to it and they must remain connected, but now with ARC connected via HDMI Arc, the output come back automatically to Sonos ARC.
Does it seems correct to you? Why it’s work with all other manufacturers?

It seems to me that the TV should allow you to pick where you want it to send audio.  Your Sonos Arc  doesn’t know about any bluetooth connection between the TV and headphones and instruct the TV what to do. As far as other manufacturers, are they using an HDMI-ARC connection?  If they are getting their audio via an RCA/optical connection, or directly from the source rather than the TV, then it’s not a good comparison.

I don't want any buttons, I want that the Soundbar not reassigning the audio output by itself.

So Sonos has control over where the TV is assigning audio output?  Your TV firmware has no control over that? 

And again, a common scenario is that the consumer wants  audio on the Arc AND bluetooth audio for a family member that needs them for hearing.  How would Sonos possibly update their software to make that happen?

This is a SONOS ARC problem, because happen also if I choose the TV speakers.

You chose the TV speakers, TV firmware ignores your request, and that’s Sonos fault.  That doesn’t make any sense. 

It’s clear now?

Please SONOS technician answer me.

As pointed out already, I don’t work for Sonos.  As a fellow user, if having bluetooth audio on my TV was important to me, I would be complaining to the TV manufacturer.  Short of that, I would maybe get creative and use an HDMI splitter with an RCA or bluetooth output so that I can solve the problem a different way.  Not ideal of course, but if the TV manufacturer won’t update their firmware, that’s what I’d do.

SONOS staff are clearly identified as such.

ARC cannot tell the TV what to do, it only can announce that it is using the HDMI audio connection and the TV might react to this.

It’s possible that the system will operate more to your satisfaction if you disable CEC in the TV or insert a CEC defeat into the HDMI connection between TV and ARC. CEC has various trade names for TV manufacturers. Note if you do this, you will likely want to enable IR control of ARC’s Volume.

Thanks Buzz,
your reply is clear, but if I disable it, the soundbar no longer connects, the TV no longer sees them.
I also tried to connect it to a normal HDMI but obviously does not see it.
The soundbar should stay on the "HDMI ARC" but something is not working right… 
I also asked Samsung support for the TV configuration but they also don't have a different solution…

Unfortunately I also returned the AMP because it is too cumbersome to use it to listen to a turntable with a third-party subwoofer and the connection to Arc and above all the absence of a connection for headphones!
Maybe I also return the ARC.

TUnfortunately I also returned the AMP because it is too cumbersome to use it to listen to a turntable with a third-party subwoofer and the connection to Arc and above all the absence of a connection for headphones!

So a soundbar doesn’t offer you headphones and does not control Bluetooth audio to devices it cannot know exist?  And a system designed fundamentally for digital music is ‘cumbersome’ (in your view) when handling physical media?  You might in future avoid the inconvenience of all these returns by  doing a bit of pre-purchase research.

TUnfortunately I also returned the AMP because it is too cumbersome to use it to listen to a turntable with a third-party subwoofer and the connection to Arc and above all the absence of a connection for headphones!

So a soundbar doesn’t offer you headphones and does not control Bluetooth audio to devices it cannot know exist?  And a system designed fundamentally for digital music is ‘cumbersome’ (in your view) when handling physical media?  You might in future avoid the inconvenience of all these returns by  doing a bit of pre-purchase research.

Hei John B, be very calm! I have made many calls to the customer service for both ARC and AMP before buy it. No one told me the things I discovered on my own and your tone is a proof of that.
  I want to listen to the headphones from the amplifier not from the Soundbar!
Sonos products are excellent but still very peculiar, closed and particular.
And find out how the other service centers work!

Hei John B, be very calm!

Understanding English is likely your second language, I find the use of an explanation point to tell someone to be calm... rather ironic.

I have made many calls to the customer service for both ARC and AMP before buy it. No one told me the things I discovered on my own and your tone is a proof of that.

People can answer questions, but if you don’t ask the right questions, it’s unlikely someone will be able to know what features matter to you, and then volunteer the answers you need.

Hei John B, be very calm!

Understanding English is likely your second language, I find the use of an explanation point to tell someone to be calm... rather ironic.

I have made many calls to the customer service for both ARC and AMP before buy it. No one told me the things I discovered on my own and your tone is a proof of that.

People can answer questions, but if you don’t ask the right questions, it’s unlikely someone will be able to know what features matter to you, and then volunteer the answers you need.

Correct english is not my native language. However I don't want do war with anyone neither I think that SONOS should make products how I think.
I like Sonos but let's just say that the questions done to support didn't get the right answers.
I agree that the purpose of using your products is different, as confirmed by the need to use an App, but if you only included some functions you would be more complete and the app's difficulties would be better accepted. Bye and thanks

The challenge here is CEC, not Sonos, per se. The design specification of CEC, which Sonos uses, in addition to almost every manufacturer of home theater devices, allows a single audio ‘sink’, rather than multiples. So if a Sonos device is reporting as an audio speaker to the CEC enabled system in the TV set, which the TV manufacturer has installed and programmed, then the TV assumes that there should be no other audio connections, which would include Bluetooth it any other headphones. This is not a ‘choice’ made by Sonos, nor the TV manufacturer either, it’s the way that all companies who are part of the consortium that approved the specifications for CEC approved the specifications, and subsequently have implemented it. 

Userlevel 1

Same problem here. 

I purchased a LG C2 83 inch+ Sonos Arc +Mini Sub + 2xERA300.

I believe it can be legitimately disappointing that a 10kCAD system purchased in 2023 cannot let people use their Bluetooth headphones on their TV, or create a party where some people play Smash Bros on the tv speakers while the others hear some music m through the Sonos system.

Those are simple, common use cases.

Each time I select another audio output, the LG reorients the audio towards the Sonos Arc, whatever the options I change, I don’t care who is responsible of what, each time I call them, those two companies say to me the other is responsible.

The incompatibility between those two major manufacturers through the ARC/CEC connector is simply a shame, especially considering I am using their flagship systems.

Come on guys, find a proper solution, through the app or anything else. TALK. No workaround is to be found for now.

I give myself (and Sonos/LG support) 5 more days to find a workaround (“CEC Less” adapter gives no proper result), if no satisfactory solution I’ll give my Sonos system back to Bestbuy.

Userlevel 1

The challenge here is CEC, not Sonos, per we. The design specification of CEC, which Sonos uses, in addition to almost every manufacturer of home theater devices, allows a single audio ‘sink’, rather than multiples. So if a Sonos device is reporting as an audio speaker to the CEC enabled system in the TV set, which the TV manufacturer has installed and programmed, then the TV assumes that there should be no other audio connections, which would include Bluetooth it any other headphones. This is not a ‘choice’ made by Sonos, nor the TV manufacturer either, it’s the way that all companies who are part of the consortium that approved the specifications for CEC approved the specifications, and subsequently have implemented it. 

I have to disagree. Bose for instance, don’t have the same miscommunication issues with LG C2 TVs for instance. At LG support there is a clear note mentioning Sonos Arc is miscommuncating their “ID” through the arc connector, which leads to such improper, limiting behavior. Some manufacturers clearly implemented CEC a better, more convenient way.

Reading this post I'm even more disappointed than I already supposed.
Is incredibile and saddest because Sonos' answers exploit the fact that not all people are super experts. As the post above highlights Bose itself has come up with a solution to the ARC protocol. 
Furthermore, in the face of a person who has purchased several expensive components, there is not the slightest intention of accepting an observation.

This is not having customer attention.

I give myself (and Sonos/LG support) 5 more days to find a workaround (“CEC Less” adapter gives no proper result), if no satisfactory solution I’ll give my Sonos system back to Bestbuy.

There is not going to be a solution in 5 days.

I have to disagree. Bose for instance, don’t have the same miscommunication issues with LG C2 TVs for instance. At LG support there is a clear note mentioning Sonos Arc is miscommuncating their “ID” through the arc connector, which leads to such improper, limiting behavior. Some manufacturers clearly implemented CEC a better, more convenient way.

Can you provide a link to where LG is stating that Sonos is miscommunicating their ID?

And regardless, their answer doesn’t make a lot of sense.  If a user states that they want to send audio to bluetooth or TV speakers, why would it ever override that and send audio through connection and not what the user selected?  Even if you want to take the argument that users should be able to requests audio through the audio system connected through ARC (Sonos Arc) in this case, there is no reason to stop playing audio to bluetooth or TV speakers unless the user specifically states they don’t want audio going there anymore.

Reading this post I'm even more disappointed than I already supposed.
Is incredibile and saddest because Sonos' answers exploit the fact that not all people are super experts. As the post above highlights Bose itself has come up with a solution to the ARC protocol. 
Furthermore, in the face of a person who has purchased several expensive components, there is not the slightest intention of accepting an observation.

This is not having customer attention.

I think you could claim LG is also not exploiting customer lack of understanding of the issue by claiming Sonos isn’t sending the right ID.  As I stated before, it seems pretty easy for a TV to just send audio to wherever the user selected to send audio.

But this potential improper ID issue should be looked at further, as well as what is actually defined in the CEC standard around this.  Really would like to see more on this. From what I’ve seen, the CEC standard is rather vague and open to each company doing something slightly different.  It is also possible that both Sonos and LG are following what they view as a proper CEC implementation. 

Userlevel 1

“Can you provide a link to where LG is stating that Sonos is miscommunicating their ID?“

The statement comes from the technician sent to me by LG. They did not want me to get that internal document but told me there is one mentioning Sonos miscommunication issue.

“CEC standard is rather vague”.
Ambiguity is not often a source of solutions. Bose and LG should simply… talk. Customers should not be the ones trying to find workarounds for such an issue without any clear guidance except the “unplug your hdmi connector” Sonos is giving to their customers.

Hi all, about this problem not yet fixed… something special happened to me.

if I turn on the TV and IMMEDIATELY the bluetooth headphones connect to the TV I can use them without the audio being picked up by ARC!

If someone try it, let me know if it works for you too!

For SONOS Support try it also you ;)