Answered

For the in-ceiling speakers, questions about where the microphones are

• 12 March 2024
  • 6 replies

I see the spec sheet saying that alexa and google will work with the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers when using the sonos amp. 

My question goes a little further:

• Are the listening microphones that support true tune and the alexa/google integration… are those in the speakers themselves? 
  • The reason for the question: If I have a zone in the primary bedroom, the speakers will be in the walls, but the Sonos AMP will live back in the AV closet down the hall… will I need an additional google Nest Mini to act as the voice integration mic for the room OR will the alexa/google integration work directly from the in-wall speakers?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 March 2024, 20:13

View original

6 replies

No, in wall/ceiling speakers don’t have microphones. The ‘compatibility’ they are showing to you is the ability to control them via voice command. You’d need an external device to accept that voice input, but then it would control your Sonos via WiFi, so where the Amp is wouldn’t make a difference. That external device could be a ‘normal’ Sonos speaker, or a Google device with a mic. 

Thanks for the reply!

Then how does the true-tone calibration work for a room that only has in-wall or in-ceiling speakers?

Thanks for the reply!

Then how does the true-tone calibration work for a room that only has in-wall or in-ceiling speakers?

Trueplay is performed with an iPhone or iPad, using that device's microphone. 

This answers my question!  Thank you so much to both of you for your prompt replies.  A lightbulb went off.  Now I understand how they are claiming calibration without a soundbar…

Thank you!

I currently have my in ceiling speakers installed in my flat ceiling.  Going to move to a house with vaulted ceilings.  If installed onto the vaulted ceiling, how will it affect the sound?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Not really a lot, you’ll see the sweet spot under the speakers move from directly under to off to the side where they are pointed by the ceiling angle. You’ll also see minor balance issues related to the different heights. Hearing the actual difference is unlikely since an A-B test is not possible.