Error 800 adding a new Sonos One

Badge

Hi,

I’m trying to add a new Sonos One to an exiting system, using the S2 app. After selecting to add a new device and selecting the new Sonos One I get a message saying “Let’s make sure you SONOS App is up to date”. After that I get a message saying “There was a problem verifying your Sonos app. Error code 800”. There are suggestions like “reboot your router” etc, all of which are fine. The phone is connected to the internet, and the app is up to date. Since this message is from the Sonos app itself, I’m not sure why it’s having problems verifying itself.

Does anyone know what the 800 error code means (no reference to this on the Sonos site), or what the problem might be?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7

I couldn’t find an 800 error code but there is an 803 error code: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4909?language=en_US

Badge

Thanks, it’s definitely an error 800, I couldn’t find any reference to it either. I checked out the 803 error link, nope, that’s not the problem, this is a new Sonos One with the S2 app.

Probably best to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, since that error isn’t in the FAQ.

Reset everything today, having the same issue. Will have to call in the morning. 

Badge

I’m having the same issue attempting to add a Sonos Boost and repeatedly having the app go into a loop verifying app and failing with an 800 error code.

I have yet to find a remedy and since it’s nearly 6:30 PST, I have to wait for the morning before going down the frustrating road of calling Sonos support directly.

I’m having this exact same issue. 

Badge

This morning the problem corrected itself. It seems the problem was with the Sonos website. Today the app successfully updated and completed the setup for the new boost addition. I purchased the boost to resolve a problem with my Sonos Connect constantly dropping off my network despite having a strong WiFi signal. After  getting the boost properly install I have yet to experience another incidence of the system disconnecting from the network.

I am receiving the same error code. The system was working for 3 months prior to this.

Userlevel 1

My Sonos system (3x Sonos 1 and 2x 1 SL) has been fine up until a few days ago when the app became very slow and failed to recognise most of the speakers. I rebooted the speakers, rebooted the router, deleted and reinstalled the app, and have now factory reset all the speakers - but am encountering the error code 800 so am unable to add or register any speakers at all.

Did you call Sonos support, as I suggested earlier in the thread?

I have been through several support calls both basic and beta to no avail. I've tried other phones, other routers, and direct connections. Nothing works.

Next on the list: ritual sacrifice. 

I have the same problem. Could you do something with it please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @ant3k10, Error 800 occurs on S2 systems, and typically happens during setup. Error 800 can appear for a number of reasons and most commonly means that your Sonos products are having trouble reaching the Sonos update server to check for updates.

Since there are a number of causes for Error 800, we advise a full reboot of your home network and your Sonos products, which is detailed in the steps below. Following these steps will resolve the majority of cases where Error 800 occurs.

1. Reboot your network devices in the following order; a) Modem b) Router c) Wireless Extenders d) Network switches (if Sonos is wired)
  2. Reboot each Sonos device by unplugging from power, waiting 10 seconds, and then reconnecting
  3. Reboot the Sonos app; 
  • On a Windows PC, click the X in the top right side of the Sonos window.
  • On a Mac, click the Sonos drop-down menu and choose Quit Sonos.
  • On iOS, swipe up from the bottom, hold, then let go. If your iOS device has a home button, double-tap the home button instead. Swipe up on the Sonos app.
  • On Android, swipe up from the bottom, hold, then let go. Swipe up on the Sonos app.

4. Attempt the update once more.

If you’re still having trouble, then I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team with a computer available, as they may need to check for any Firewall or Parental Control settings blocking Sonos from reaching the update server.

[Moderator edit: I’ve also put in a request for a help page on Error 800 to be made available :slight_smile: ]

I am unable to update my S1 system even though there is a message in the app that an update is available. Running WireShark I discovered that the Sonos speaker that the controller sends the update request to is responding with a UPnP error / error 800. Never had an issue like this on my network with Sonos or any other device. As it stands now, I cannot update the S1 system at all (and as a result cannot add a new service which I need to do in order to change radio stations that we listen to).

To top it off, I spent an hour waiting for someone from support to pick up after going into the hold queue this evening. And the online chat doesn’t work at all.

I have a solution! (for me at least)

Short answer: unrecognized VPN in use

Long answer:

Last fall I started using a Galaxy S20 to interface with my system. I purchased AdGuard for the phone which comes with a VPN I did not remember was in use.

My issue began when I upgraded my router and needed to reconnect my system. I could not get anything to connect so I factory reset them all (that was a huge mistake). I was able to see the individual speakers using the Sonos S2 App but could not connect them to the internet and produced an 800 error when attempting to update software on individual speakers. 

Initially I tried to connect using the Sonos S1 App (since they were all “old” at this point) to no avail. I attempted this again today and was given an error that a VPN was in use on my phone and was presented with an option to turn it off. I was then able to connect to my individual speakers and set my system up again.