Skip to main content
Question

Dropouts (radio and Spotify)

• 26 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have frequent dropouts for the radio (just stops playing, sometimes it reconnects but not all the time, not only TuneIn but also Radioplayer) and Spotify (the playlist would stop and hitting play again, it would start again at the first song played so I would need to listen to the same songs again).

I’ve reset my router and wifi several times to no avail for the past 5 days. I have not installed any new devices since then. I currently have 5 Pay:1, 1 Play:3 and 1 Subwoofer linked to the Play:3. 

I also use Orbi with 2 satellites. 

I submitted a diagnostic with number 1429751715.

Many thanks for looking into it,

Best regards,

Francis 

Hi @Francis in SH, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos community and for describing the issue to us. I appreciate your effort in performing some of the troubleshooting steps in resolving the issue. Thank you for providing the diagnostic report, let me check it for you.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there's interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion; audio dropouts due to sync errors and the audio feed is too slow causing the playback to stop. 

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you. The next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. I understand that you have rebooted your router and your WiFi several times, this time let's do it step by step.

1. A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  2. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • In the Sonos app > Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Change the wireless > Set it to channel 6
    • Re-check Sonos performance.
  3. Identify devices that may be causing the interference
    • Move away from the devices from your Sonos speakers or turn them off. Check Sonos if there's an improvement with the performance.
  4. Relocate the affected speaker(s) to determine if it is a wireless range issue.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, please contact our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. 

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Good morning Rowena,

Thanks for your reply. 

I followed your instructions as per #1 and #2 in the above. Our apartment is not that big that I can really change speakers to a different location without any interference from other devices so I’ll drop that #3. 

It may be too early to tell (I just did it all 5 minutes ago) so I proceeded with another diagnostics #1488853927 in case you could compare with the previous one and see if there are any differences / changes? 

Best regards,

Francis 

Hi @Francis in SH, thank you for your response and for performing the recommended steps to isolate the issue. I appreciate you for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me check it for you.

Based on the diagnostic, there's still interference in the network and latency or experiencing a slow connection. Also, one of the ethernet cables might be faulty as detected in the report. Please check for any damages on the cable and make sure that it's securely connected to your router and Sonos devices.

There’s a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet causing the audio dropouts.

In this situation, we need to understand your network setup (modem, router, mesh, wireless access points, network switches, i.e.) and know the make and model of each device to look up the information and to check compatibility with Sonos.

It would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. Please reach out to our Sonos Customer Care support to further assist you.

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.