Devices keep dropping off after S2 update

• 13 November 2020
  • 3 replies

So when I initially updated to S2, it took me forever to get my old Play 3 and Play 1 to work. Had to use ethernet and it took 3 attempts to get it all working.

Another upgrade yesterday and everything is gone. So I started adding them in again. Added 3 first. Seemed OK. Added 1 and the 3 disappeared. Tried again in different order and same thing happened. Quit app and restarted. Added 1 again. Started playing music. Quit app, restarted app and could not find Play 1 even thought music was still playing music. 

As well, all favorites were gone from the app. So at this point nothing is working. Tried 5 times to add devices in and they keep disappearing. 

Yes I have restarted the router. And no I don't want to tear everything apart to move them to my router and use ethernet. 

Very frustrating to have to work this hard when it was all working

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The key to the whole ‘restarting the router’ thing is that all Sonos devices need to be unplugged while the router reboots. Only when the router comes back up should you plug in the Sonos devices to power. 

If you’re interested in running a ‘wired’ setup, where one device is wired directly to your router, a BOOST is an excellent device designed for that purpose. I use one myself, as I have no need for a speaker near my router. 

But a BOOST wouldn’t solve the issue in my first paragraph. That’s an issue with the router giving out bad IP addresses, which could happen either while in wired or WiFi modes.

But this has happened more than once since upgrading to S2. All favorites and music services disappeared as well. Going to do the reboot again.

Still seems like a great indicator of duplicate IP addresses. Just make sure all Sonos devices are unplugged when you reboot the router.

However, if that doesn’t fix the problem, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.